Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing front door and patio door locks

• 24-08-2010 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

hi all, bad tenant so have to change front door and patio door locks.
    gonna tray and fit these myself. front door is a triple lock system on the standard munster joinery front door.

does anyone know where I can get these cheaply?

thanks for any pointers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Probably better suited to DIY.
    thread moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

M three wrote: »
    hi all, bad tenant so have to change front door and patio door locks.
    gonna tray and fit these myself. front door is a triple lock system on the standard munster joinery front door.

does anyone know where I can get these cheaply?

thanks for any pointers

I had to do this recently, all you need to change is the cylinders (the part the key goes into).

Its a fairly simple job take off the handles on the front door, with some doors you don't even have to do this.(patio)

There is one screw usually a philips/posidrive head screw in the side of the door that holds the cylinder.

Unscrew the screw put the key into the lock and give the key at most a quarter turn this releases the small holding pin that stops the lock from just falling out if you remove the screw.

Take out the cylinder and pop along to your local hardware for a replacement with new keys.

There are long cylinder and short cylinder just match up which ones you have with the new ones ini the shop.
    A short cylinder cost me 9.95 euro and a long cylinder cost 11.95euro both were basta brand.

Door replacement companies will quote you a lot more for these parts

Follow instructions on card for replacement, but you've taken them out so you won't need instructions.

Best of Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

If your replacing the barrels, I would recommend you get a snap one, its all too easy to break through the bog standard ones and get into the mechanism. Dont think they are much more expensive than the regular ones

Advertisement