Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gambles Sports Bets

Options
  • 24-08-2010 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I thought I would start a log to try keep track of how bad I'm doing :P

I dont do write ups although this doesn't mean that I dont do my research!

I mostly bet on football because I know it more than I do any other sport.

I'm mostly a weekend gambler so I sometimes put my bets on about a week before they take place.

The last thing I must warn you about is that I'm far from an expert so I dont recommend anyone follow my bets.

I really just gamble for fun but I would obviously like to make a profit :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Gambles

I'm going to start off with a treble for the weekends games which I feel has a good chance.

All prices are with Bet 365

Blackburn v Arsenal
    Arsenal @ 4/7

Chelsea v Stoke
    Chelsea -2 @ 5/6

Liverpool v West Brom
    Liverpool -1 @ 8/13

€20 @ 3.65/1 (Hopefully) Returns €93.08

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Best of luck mate, hope it goes to plan. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Good luck mate, but tbh I'd not be playing trebles involving -2 handicaps and Liverpool on their current form for those sort of odds.

x PyRo wrote: »
    Best of luck mate, hope it goes to plan. :)
    Thanks :) I hope all you professionals can gimme some luck :D

Good luck mate, but tbh I'd not be playing trebles involving -2 handicaps and Liverpool on their current form for those sort of odds.
    Thanks for your opinion mate, I thought I would give it a try considering the poor opposition that Liverpool are at home to. And the same with Chelsea and how their banging in the goals at the moment. But I do take your point that handicap betting can be risky

• Advertisement

Gambles wrote: »
    Thanks for your opinion mate, I thought I would give it a try considering the poor opposition that Liverpool are at home to. And the same with Chelsea and how their banging in the goals at the moment. But I do take your point that handicap betting can be risky

I think they're all half-decent punts. But I always wonder about motivation. You only need to win by one goal, not three. Nothing to stop Chelsea throwing on a load of kids, and what if they go behind to a flukey goal? You're looking for four from them then.
    I bet for profit and tend to play singles and doubles around the even money mark. That makes me money. When I go mad entirely on multiples, I end up raging like I did yesterday when I got eight out of twelve results right, but lost all my trebles because of the results that didn't go my way.

I think they're all half-decent punts. But I always wonder about motivation. You only need to win by one goal, not three. Nothing to stop Chelsea throwing on a load of kids, and what if they go behind to a flukey goal? You're looking for four from them then.
    I bet for profit and tend to play singles and doubles around the even money mark. That makes me money. When I go mad entirely on multiples, I end up raging like I did yesterday when I got eight out of twelve results right, but lost all my trebles because of the results that didn't go my way.
    I never took all of that into account tbh, I guess I have a lot to learn when it comes to gambling. I would say it probably drove you mad that you got eight right but not the rest that was hard luck. What sort of odds did you get on that bet involving 12 matches?

I never took all of that into account tbh, I guess I have a lot to learn when it comes to gambling. I would say it probably drove you mad that you got eight right but not the rest that was hard luck. What sort of odds did you get on that bet involving 12 matches?

I didn't bet on all twelve in one punt! I had a number of trebles which collectively involved twelve different games. The average odds on those trebles was probably around the 4/1 mark.
    But each of those trebles involved at least one of the four games I got wrong (United drawing was a beeyatch!). Therefore I lost it all. :mad:
    If I'd bet on each game singly, I'd have made a decent wedge. That's what annoyed me. Like everyone, I get tempted by multiples, but the bookies love them for a reason. That's where they make their money, not on people punting singles on Chelsea to win at 2/5.

I didn't bet on all twelve in one punt! I had a number of trebles which collectively involved twelve different games. The average odds on those trebles was probably around the 4/1 mark.
    But each of those trebles involved at least one of the four games I got wrong (United drawing was a beeyatch!). Therefore I lost it all. :mad:
    If I'd bet on each game singly, I'd have made a decent wedge. That's what annoyed me. Like everyone, I get tempted by multiples, but the bookies love them for a reason. That's where they make their money, not on people punting singles on Chelsea to win at 2/5.
    I see what your saying now mate and I appreciate the advice :)
    It could potentally save me a small fortune thanks a lot.
    I'll know now to try steer clear of multiples in the future.
    Have you got a log going yourself?

I see what your saying now mate and I appreciate the advice :)
    It could potentally save me a small fortune thanks a lot.
    I'll know now to try steer clear of multiples in the future.
    Have you got a log going yourself?

I do, but only for my own records! I don't tend to keep one going here, but I do try to comment on threads and give my opinion on some other people's logs.
    Best advice I can give you is bet on what you know, after doing your homework. Read up on what interests you from a betting perspective, and try to foresee how events might unfold. Look for trends - form is a big one - and don't get caught out by things like dodgy line-ups. I'd rather wait for the teamsheets to be announced and let the odds grow shorter than punt early and find out that, for example, Roy Hodgson was putting out most of the youth team in a Euro qualifier, as happened recently.
    There are some great punters in here and it's worth reading the threads and other logs to get an idea of what they're betting on and why.
    And there are plenty of other sources of information out there too, from statistics websites to gambling advice forums to tipster's blogs.

• Advertisement

I do, but only for my own records! I don't tend to keep one going here, but I do try to comment on threads and give my opinion on some other people's logs.
    Best advice I can give you is bet on what you know, after doing your homework. Read up on what interests you from a betting perspective, and try to foresee how events might unfold. Look for trends - form is a big one - and don't get caught out by things like dodgy line-ups. I'd rather wait for the teamsheets to be announced and let the odds grow shorter than punt early and find out that, for example, Roy Hodgson was putting out most of the youth team in a Euro qualifier, as happened recently.
    There are some great punters in here and it's worth reading the threads and other logs to get an idea of what they're betting on and why.
    And there are plenty of other sources of information out there too, from statistics websites to gambling advice forums to tipster's blogs.
    I'll keep all that in mind from now on. And maybe do some googling to try find out a few sites for stats and so on. I have only really been gambling a few months but I hope I can get better at it in the future. I'm off to bed now but thanks again for the advice. I think I have learned more from you in the last few minutes than I knew the whole time. Best of luck with all your bets though, keep making that money ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

I don't know about that to be honest. I'd agree in principle about the handicap and I'd advise anyone not to take any handicap over -2. However whilst you're right to say they only need to win by one, a lot of teams and managers feel the need to consolidate their lead and thus the -1 can often be useful. Again though it all depends on the game and who's playing but i've had a lot of success over the years yusing the handicap in large singles, albeit with teams like Real, Bayern, Chelsea etc..

fkiely wrote: »
    I don't know about that to be honest. I'd agree in principle about the handicap and I'd advise anyone not to take any handicap over -2. However whilst you're right to say they only need to win by one, a lot of teams and managers feel the need to consolidate their lead and thus the -1 can often be useful. Again though it all depends on the game and who's playing but i've had a lot of success over the years yusing the handicap in large singles, albeit with teams like Real, Bayern, Chelsea etc..

If you read back, my objection was to the OP sticking a -2 handicap in a treble before teamsheets were announced.
    Handicap betting can be lucrative when there is an obvious motivation for a team to beat it (such as in second leg cup matches were they are at home and have an away deficit to recover, or when they need to boost their goal difference in the likes of the CL group stages against the group whipping boy.)
    I don't like to stray above -1 on a handicap unless it's in-running and goals have already gone in, and I wouldn't place an ante-post handicap in an accie normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Just saw your original point there, apologies.

I decided I would go for this single in the Chelsea game.
    The price is on Bet 365

Chelsea v Stoke
    Over 2.5 Goals @ 3/10
    €100 Returns €130

What a **** start to my log that was!
    I'm hoping for better in the future, I just hope it doesn't get worse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

its not easy, if i was we would all be rich and de bookies poor,

Advertisement