Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lower download speeds after NGB "upgrade"

• 24-08-2010 1:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Lads, hope someone can help, or at least explain what has happened....Roaches St. exchange in Limerick, upgraded and ported to NGB on August 16th.

Prior to this i was connected and downloading full whack at 7616kbps. I'm with Vodafone (migrated over from BT) and since the upgrade i'm now connected at 7168kbps?

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 512 7168
    MaxRate(kbps) 1184 11104
    NoiseMargin(dB) 24.0 21.6
    Attenuation(dB) 29.0 16.0
    Power(dBm) 11.9 19.8

So basically as you can see i am getting less speed then i was before!, i called Vodafone and they tell me they can't do anything and that i'm on the maxium profile available?, um...isin't there an 8MB profile available?, my line can easily handle 8MB, the fact i was connected and downloading at 7.6MB tells me this is a profile/exchange level issue....any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lads, hope someone can help, or at least explain what has happened....Roaches St. exchange in Limerick, upgraded and ported to NGB on August 16th.

Prior to this i was connected and downloading full whack at 7616kbps. I'm with Vodafone (migrated over from BT) and since the upgrade i'm now connected at 7168kbps?

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 512 7168
    MaxRate(kbps) 1184 11104
    NoiseMargin(dB) 24.0 21.6
    Attenuation(dB) 29.0 16.0
    Power(dBm) 11.9 19.8

So basically as you can see i am getting less speed then i was before!, i called Vodafone and they tell me they can't do anything and that i'm on the maxium profile available?, um...isin't there an 8MB profile available?, my line can easily handle 8MB, the fact i was connected and downloading at 7.6MB tells me this is a profile/exchange level issue....any advice?
    Perhaps a post on the Vodafone forum will help as the reps will follow up the case personally. Or else call back Vodafone until someone gives you the right answer. Your line is able to take 7616 without even the slighest of doubts, even if you hadn't said that it worked at that speed previously!

Be warned, I've seen issues like this in other threads since NGN where people had speed reductions and obstinance on the part of Vodafone or more likely eircom wholesale. They seem to be more insistent on sync rates based on whatever arbitrary reading/attenuation measurement is generated. AKA the prequal speed. I haven't seen quite a blatant case for increasing speed like this case though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I posted on the Vodafone forum + Pm'd Paul, but no one has replied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭daytrader

What about my stat's?

Was on 3mb till upgrade a few weeks back, profiled at one now and vodafone won't change it.

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 126 1024
    MaxRate(kbps) 704 4368
    NoiseMargin(dB) 30.3 21.9
    Attenuation(dB) 53.0 28.7
    Power(dBm) 9.4 0.0

The max rate can chane to 800 5010 if I check at different times.

Advertisement