Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just a Minute

• 24-08-2010 8:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

...who are your favourite players?

Going from the start, I love Freud and Williams. I love it when Kenneth Williams goes off on a rant, uninterrupted. Freud of course was the master, and is sadly missed.

However, of the modern day panellists, I think Ross Noble is my favourite - his wit is perfect for the game. I also like Gyles Brandrith, he reminds me of Derek Nimmo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'll see your Ross Noble (totally agree there) and raise you a Paul Merton.

Good call...! Love this show, listen to it regularly on iPlayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Bard wrote: »
    I'll see your Ross Noble (totally agree there) and raise you a Paul Merton.

Good call...! Love this show, listen to it regularly on iPlayer.

see Paul Merton I'm not sold on...yet. He's a great player of the game, and he's definitely in the hall of the greats, but still...there's just something about him that I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I loved the recent episode where they had John Seargent on and he really didn't quite 'get it'. At one point (near the end) it degerated into a bit of a farce where they kept 'accidentally' challenging incorrectly and gifting him a load points... was hilarious. He still only came second ;)

Fair point on Merton, I suppose... he can be a cocky smartarse, but I still think he's great. He's one of their stock regular panelists now isn't he?

I'd like to hear Stephen Fry do it (did he ever...?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must admit to having not heard this on a regular or even semi-regular basis for years now.

Bard wrote: »

I'd like to hear Stephen Fry do it (did he ever...?)

he did - the immortal quote "I must say, this is easier when you're listening to it in the bath"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jack Dee's dry wit and moaning when he get's challenged are always good for a laugh.
    Some of Julian Clary's euphemistic ramblings and tongue in cheek depravity are a welcome change from the usual panelist.
    Heard Fry on it once...was pretty good.

Merton...I don't know...he's quick and witty, but he alwasy seems a little jaded to me (maybe this is the persona from HIGNFY transposing over) but he's great at talking crap for a minute which is what it all boils down to...

Wertz wrote: »

Merton...I don't know...he's quick and witty, but he alwasy seems a little jaded to me

that's it exactly. I feel like an itch has been scratched :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Merton...I don't know...he's quick and witty, but he alwasy seems a little jaded to me (maybe this is the persona from HIGNFY transposing over) but he's great at talking crap for a minute which is what it all boils down to...

He has been a satirist for almost 30 years. Naturally jaded with the whole thing, I feel he is dying to just tell a grossly offensive bodily-function joke.

Don't listen to the show all that often, but as mentioned above, Jack Dee seems to be in his element, far superior to his recent work on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

You could be right...the only thing that he seems to differ from his normal persona on is Room 101 (admittedly a differing format from satire shows)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Love this show, but only been listening for a few years since I got my internet radio.

I like Gyles Brandreth a lot, and Merton too.

I also thought the John Sergeant episode was hilarious.

I don't think Jack Dee has been on since he took over on ISIHAC has he?

I quite like Sue Perkins too.

Is there another old sounding guy on it, apart from Brandreth?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Some of Julian Clary's euphemistic ramblings and tongue in cheek depravity are a welcome change from the usual panelist.
    The guy is repulsive! His idea of what tongue in cheek is not what mine is.

Advertisement