Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baldness treatments/cures/queries in here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I fully agree that you cannot deny genetics, all I was pointing out is that drying out your hair of its natural oils will be bad for your scalp and hair, which could deteriorate its condition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Have a shower everyday sometimes up to three or four showers in a day depending on going out, work, sports etc and the hair would be washed throughly everyday. This would be due to the amount of wax used on the hair and the need to rinse it out completely.

Slowly but surely trying to grow it longer so I dont have to use much in it in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Propecia is the brand name of Finasteride. You can buy a generic tablet called Proscar, which is identical but comes in a pill five times the dosage of Propecia. Buy a pill splitter, order Proscar and you'll be sorted - it's a lot cheaper than Propecia too. Bear in mind though that finasteride doesn't work for everyone and the side effects are rubbish (moobs, loss of erection). I tried it a few months and though only 8% or so experience these side effects, I was becoming one of the 8% so I quit it - any side effects vanish once you get off though. Hopefully you have better luck OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I think we need a mega thread for issues in regards to hair/baldness in this forum. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

I shower maybe twice a day, but use very little soap/shampoo. Your skin is naturally acidic and soaps are often alkaline, so it doesn't make sense to be stripping the body of it's friendly bacteria. I don't use shampoo every day, maybe every 3rd day, usually I rinse my hair clean.

I use the luas the same time as you do....

• Advertisement

I think it would say a lot about one's character if he did take a "cure" to be brutally honest. There's nothing wrong with being bald, I am fine with it, and I wouldn't take back the "option" of having hair just to please a few people.

This goes beyond issues of weight, teeth or whatever. These are issues that you can control and indeed, it would probably be best for your health if you do control these issues.

But when it comes to baldness, or height, this is something you cannot control. It is what it is. I have no problem with people having personal tastes where they're not interested in short and/or bald men, but I'm not going to feel bad or inferior over something that is beyond my control.

So yeah, I would say thanks but no thanks to a "baldness cure". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As someone in his early thirties with a Norwood 3 hairline (significant temporal recession) yes I would be interested in something that would restore the lost hair. I'll believe it when I see it though. Over the years I must have read hundreds of optimistic media articles about potential "cures" for various conditions. Most never come to anything.

Also, the treatment that the article refers to seems to involve surgery, grafts and transplantation etc. In that case it would probably be very expensive and could result in complications and scarring. Hair transplants are already available and have these disadvantages.

On a general note, anyone who thinks that women don't notice or care about baldness in men is deluded IMO. Some balding men with well shaped head can look very well if they shave it all off but i would say this look doesn't suit the majority of men. I've had a few women comment on and sneer at my receeding hairline and laugh about how I'd be bald before i'm 30 (they were wrong) Have also heard lots of women laughing about other men's baldness, men being described as "short fat and balding" etc.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    On a general note, anyone who thinks that women don't notice or care about baldness in men is deluded IMO. Some balding men with well shaped head can look very well if they shave it all off but i would say this look doesn't suit the majority of men. I've had a few women comment on and sneer at my receeding hairline and laugh about how I'd be bald before i'm 30 (they were wrong) Have also heard lots of women laughing about other men's baldness, men being described as "short fat and balding" etc.

I think you need to surround yourself with better women to be honest. I've never had any of that, and I would quickly blank anyone who behaved like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

It depends how old I am when I start going bald. I'm sure there will be an age where I'm beyond caring. And if it is going to cost a fortune or its something you have to slap on every day to stop the hair falling out again, forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If there were no side affects then yeah I'd give it a shot ! Going thin since I was 18, wouldn't mind having the old mop back but I have finally gotten used to it at this stage.

I agree with LZ5. They're the type of women you want to avoid, I'd glady tell a women where to go if she laughed at me or anyone else over going bald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

foxyboxer wrote: »
    I've been bald so long, I think I would look strange with hair at this stage. :cool:
    Likewise. Though I wouldn't say no to getting a mullet if it meant popping a pill or something. If it involved surgery, then no. Too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I shower once a day, in the morning (unless I goto the gym, as I shower afterwards). Shave the head using a Mch 3 about twice a week.

If you're loosing hair, ask yourself: is it worth trying to hide going bald, or do you think a Mach 3 would be a better option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Hi all.There has been a large number of threads in the last while asking questions about baldness,the various treatments,transplants and what not.Obviously this is an issue for alot of men so in an effort to reduce the clutter the mods have decided to make one baldness related superthread,kinda like the circumcision advice thread so any future queries relating to anything related to baldness should be posted in here.

If the thread gets alot of traffic I will sticky it but for now will leave it unstickied.

Ive also merged the three threads that were on the first page of the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

some info from our tame pharmacist:

First, a little background: Finasteride is the name of the drug you're talking about. There are two main products in which it is found; Proscar and Propecia. Proscar contains 5mg of finasteride, and it is used for prostate disorders such as Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. It is a licenced medicinal product in Ireland. Propecia contains 1mg of finasteride, and is used, somewhat controversially, to prevent and/or reverse hairloss. It is not a licenced medicinal product in Ireland. That being said, a doctor may legally write a prescription for whatever s/he likes*, so an Irish doc might give you a script for Finasteride 1mg. If such a prescription were presented to me (I'm a pharmacist) I would attempt to source Propecia from one of the suppliers who we usually use for that sort of thing, and if I was able to do so, all's well and good. However, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't have it. I would not supply 5mg tablets and have the patient try to split them into 5 parts, nor would I attempt to make the split myself. It is impossible to split a tablet into 5 parts accurately and reproducibly. The next best thing would be for the pharmacist to compound a liquid formulation from the tablets, so that the correct dosage can be measured. After all, that's one of the things we're trained to do and pharmacists in 'the olden days' used to do that with everything! Do not attempt to do this yourself. It is somewhat more complicated than just dissolving the tablets in water!

Now, some rules for this thread: There is no other method other than through your doctor and pharmacist by which it is legal to obtain finasteride in Ireland. It is illegal to procure (or to attempt to procure) medicinal products via the internet or mail order. It is illegal to allow your premises to be used to procure same. Boards.ie cannot be used to facilitate illegal activity. Therefore, any user who even hints at anything to do with buying finasteride online will be banned, and the thread will be locked. You have been warned.

I'm willing to leave the thread open for the time being. By all means, feel free to share you personal experiences of how you got on with your legally obtained finasteride. However, the rule about advice being forbidden still stands. So, no asking for or offering advice on what to do in any given situation. Talk to your doctor.

We want you to be able to share experiences or to benefit from others' experiences, but please remember that people are different, what works for one might not work for another. If the rules I've outlined above aren't adhered to, the thread will be closed, so please be careful that you don't ruin it for others.

Thanks.

* I was asked in a PM if I would try to source Marijuana if a Dr. prescribed it, so let me clarify what I meant when I said a Dr can prescribe whatever they like. I was referring to medicinal products; a Dr can prescribe a medicinal product that is unlicenced here but is licenced in other countries. The answer to the Q in the PM is No; Marijuana is a Schdule 1 Controlled Drug under the Misuse of Drugs Acts, and so therefore doesn't fall into the category I was talking about!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

As far as I know, propecia isn't even approved here in Ireland. Though it's approved in US and UK, just Irish regulators havn't got around to it. I bought if off the internet but was really expensive so I then bought generic propecia, finpecia which worked out around 40c a tab. So a years supply around 150 euro which is grand. Btw, I'm an Internet marketer so know a lot of the tricks but it took me ages to find a real supplier. Lot of fake **** out there.

It def worked for me BUT after a few months I noticed my libido was non-existant so I had to give them up. I've 2 other friends on it and they get no side-effects so lucky for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

Hi, i have recently started to notice my hair is thinning at the top.
    I have seen this product in many health shops and on the tv.
    Has anybody use it here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

Hi, Female here and not sure if I should post this here but its always been a curiousity to me & alot of women I know but why do so many men get bothered and sensitive about going grey or hair loss? Is it aging, vanity or something else?

Bald can be very attractive, as can that whole silver fox look. There is nothing worst than a badly dyed head of hair or an attempt at some sort of comb over.

Believe me, my intention is not to offend but if mods want to delete or tell me to get out, I understand.

Hi Soundbite,this is a thread about mens experience with baldness,various treatments etc,not a thread to question why men care about going bald/grey or whatever.Every man is different so its a pretty obtuse question to begin with and besides,its not what this thread is for.Cheers,Ned.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭quiz

I'm considering hair transplant.

I would be looking for recommendations for clinics in Dublin.

I was wondering if they transplant the hair to the current bald patches and the balding process continues on the hair I currently have will the transplanted areas have hair while the untransplanted area continues the balding process and look awful in 5 years?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I shaved my head. Best thing I ever done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Sound Bite

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Hi Soundbite,this is a thread about mens experience with baldness,various treatments etc,not a thread to question why men care about going bald/grey or whatever.Every man is different so its a pretty obtuse question to begin with and besides,its not what this thread is for.Cheers,Ned.

Fair enough - apologies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭princeofparma

I think if you are bald or going bald, just shave the rest of your head and enjoy the Kojak look.

neil-strauss-before-and-after1.jpg

Before And After. Which looks better?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

after watching that clip about the ailesbury clinic.What sort of price are we talking about to get that type of procedure done?10,000+?

Gridlock wrote: »
    Seen this on TV3 last week and found it interesting.Worth watching for anyone considering HT.

I was just wondering has ayone one used this clinic?Would you recommend this them?What sort of prices are we talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 markysull

Hi lads,

I see a few people in here talking about Bioxine. Any idea how much it costs? how long it typically takes to work?Does it need to be applied everyday! I'm 23 and been receding at a much greater pace over the past 2 years. Could never afford the transplant procedure.... Are those chinese herbs and stuff any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭showtime

I just turned 27 yesterday and my hair is really starting to thin out.

I had very long hair for the last few years (bout half way down my back)

and i was noticing more and more everytime i brushed my hair that there would be a significant amount of hair on the brush

so i got it cut.... not really short but about just above ear length

I can really notice it thinning at the front now, not so much at the back

The market seems to be saturated with hair loss prevention products so I'm just wondering has anyone had any success at all with a particular product?

this is really depressing :(

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

im in my early 20's and im thinning noticably, receeding hairline and a bit thin towards the back. it started when i was about 20 and at the time i was really worried about it, i know now that its a huge cause of anxiety for a lot of men.

After a lot of research about various hair restoration products I came to the decision that i was going to go bald gracefully. I got out the hair clippers and gave myself a zero blade all over and as soon as i did it i couldnt believe what had taken me so long. the shaved head look suits me pretty well and ive taken control of my situation. it was actually pretty empowering, ive come to terms with an uncontrolable situation and im getting on with the rest of my life.

Just wanted to share as an option that'll save you a hell of a lot of cash.

Think there's some kind of prescription drug you can take, which sorts out thinning hair but not receding hairlines.
    Not sure what it's called but you could ask your doctor.
    Other than that I think shaving it is the best option - and if you think being bald makes you less attractive or anything then google Neill Strauss.

• Advertisement

Hi All,

A few months ago..well about 6, I undertook a water and juice fast for some weight loss and a ' cleanse ' . Afterwards my hairline receded a bit, on one side more than the other. Does anyone know if its a temp thing ? I ordinarily have a strong head of hair and its not thinning anywhere else. I have been also under a bit of strees the past year. Its a bit embarrasing TBH.

Ta

Advertisement