Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go, see and eat?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm heading up around Sligo for an overnight (2 days) what would you recommend that I visit and where is a decent place to eat out.

I'll be staying in Pier Head Hotel, Mullaghmore, I like the coast, hills, dolmens, forest parks, etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Lovely drives around Mullaghmore. Great photo ops. especially with Classiebawn Castle.
    The Gleniff horseshoe drive is really lovely....the magic road is up that way too.
    Glencar isn't a million miles away.
    I would recommend the Yeats Tavern for a place to eat.
    Hazelwood Forest is really nice. Also the Yeats scenic drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

magnumlady wrote: »
    Lovely drives around Mullaghmore. Great photo ops. especially with Classiebawn Castle.
    The Gleniff horseshoe drive is really lovely....the magic road is up that way too.
    Glencar isn't a million miles away.
    I would recommend the Yeats Tavern for a place to eat.
    Hazelwood Forest is really nice. Also the Yeats scenic drive.

Thanks for all the info, will do some checking on the maps

Also, where's Yeat's Tavern :o

Yeats Tavern is just across the road from Drumcliffe church (Yeats grave). I'm sure you'll see it as you drive up to Mullaghmore.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

phog wrote: »
    Hi, I'm heading up around Sligo for an overnight (2 days) what would you recommend that I visit and where is a decent place to eat out.
    Blue Lagoon pub and restaurant. ;)

Yeats Tavern is just across the road from Drumcliffe church (Yeats grave). I'm sure you'll see it as you drive up to Mullaghmore.

I know Drumcliffe, usually stop there if I'm up that way.

Where might that be?

Any waterfalls up that way.

Actually the Blue Lagoon is just out of town. If you carry on along that road you will come to Doorly Park.
    One of my favourite places for taking photos.

As you are driving towards Drumcliffe you'll see a sign for Glencar where the waterfall is (not technically Sligo though).

Actually the Blue Lagoon is just out of town. If you carry on along that road you will come to Doorly Park.
    One of my favourite places for taking photos.

As you are driving towards Drumcliffe you'll see a sign for Glencar where the waterfall is (not technically Sligo though).

I'm heading up there tomorrow so I hope I get a reply before leaving but where and what is Doorly Park?

• Advertisement

Doorly park is just along from the Garavogue River. Lots of swans and ducks and some boats.
    I took this photo there:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/4875040405/

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Doorly Park is along the Riverside in Sligo town, alot of recent redevelopment done there, very nice. Used to live beside it, walked there almost every day, I miss it. Living in Limerick now myself Phog! Was walking by the Park canal earlier and it reminded me of Doorly, but it isn't as nice as it though :P

While I'm at it, I might recommend that you don't drive up the N18/N17, maybe try going Nenagh, Borrisokane, Athlone, Roscommon, Boyle. I'm a rep, covering Galway and Munster, my heart is absolutely broken going up through Gort with the roadworks, and now there's some in Kiltiernan too, so while going the other way might seem longer, you'll still do it in 3 hours.

Is the Blue open again?!??!?!? Ain't set foot in it since the teen discos over ten years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxav

Yeats Tavern's an OK choice for food I'd actually prefer "Henrys" it's on the main rd from Mullaghmore to Drumcliff, can't miss it also Eithna's restaurant in
    Mullaghmore do fantastic seafood.
    Doorly Park is actually where I live, there's a lovely walk alongside the river and good photo ops, then drive past it (away from town) and keep left, drive approx two miles and stop at Tobernalt Holy Well, you don't have to be religious it's just a lovely spot. Another two mile drive again keeping the lake on your left brings you to Dooney Rock and One mile further to Slish wood both places have lovely walks. Three or four miles more there's a turn to the left that brings you to the "Lake isle of Innisfree" lookout point,time to brush up on your schoolboy Yeats.:)
    Continue to Dromahair and through it on to a beautiful drive along the lake shore to Parkes Castle(can't miss it) and on back into town all in all it's about a twenty five mile drive around the Lake take it easy it's a twisty rd, good surface but twisty, one of my favourite drives on the bike.
    Lovely way to pass an afternoon without taking on too much of a journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Isn't the Blue Lagoon pub derelict now? Certainly looks like it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Brite_Cloud

Mullaghmore? - the home of freediving in Ireland?

I don't have any money at the moment, but if I did, I'd have a go at that - http://www.freediveireland.com

Have no idea how much they charge though . . . maybe it's free :D

If it isn't, you could probably sue them for false advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

Thanks Brite cloud , on a post above Eithnes seafood restaurant in mullaghmore has been closed a few years now. there was a chinese there recently but its currently an art gallery. There is also pub grub in both hotels there Pier head and beach Hotel as well as harrisons in Cliffoney but have never eaten there.
    If you do come freediving with us maybe you can take up spearfising and catch your own dinner. Absoloutly nothing fresher and good for the fish stocks from a conservation point of view when done correctly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Langs in Grange does good meals and at weekends you can (depending on your taste) enjoy the music across the road in Barrys Pub http://www.myspace.com/barryspublichouse

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Muirgheal

I suspect mr. "Blue Lagoon" is being just a little disingenuous in recommending we visit the Blue Lagoon!

Naughty! Naughty!

Thanks for all your suggestions, we headed up there last week and got great weather which helped make it a fantastic trip.

We ate in Henry's on the Wednesday night, exceptionally good value and stopped at Jimmy Burkes in Clarinbridge on our way home on Thursday.

I've posted a few photos of our trip on pix.ie

Glencar and Carrawkeel are not to be missed on any trip to this region.

Thanks again.

I was wondering how you got on.
    Some lovely photos there, glad you enjoyed your trip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement