Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kepler Announcement due 26.08.10

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently, NASA have scheduled an announcement about progress of the Kepler Mission for this Thursday.

According to the article, "Officials from the space agency announced on Monday that they will also give information about the "discovery of an intriguing planetary system"."

Watch this space. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭djhaxman

Bill Borucki will be in his element again now.

Wonder will they mention the lecture by the Russian professor a few weeks back?

Expect more planets to be confirmed. 5 so far, I'm expecting that to rise significantly.

This is to me what the shuttle missions are to Lord Lucan, Beeker and Ynotdu :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Class!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Looking forward to this,expecting good things from Kepler.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

djhaxman wrote: »

dj You have set Yourself up now to be our main Kepler reporter from this and Your other posts about same.
    Don't go forgetting us now when You head off to the complex course You have chosen to study, This heavy burden is of Your own choosing!:)

Seriously as i try to take more interest in things other than Manned Spaceflight,don't You think the AMS to be installed on the ISS by the [current] final Shuttle mission is also very exciting?investigating dark matter and anti-matter concepts?

It will if it works well fill in more parts of the jigsaw of our Universe,and along with all the other probing going on eventualy lead to absolute proof of the big bang theory or discredit it.
    Something just seems missing from the theory as it investigated more,IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Can't feckin wait for this announcement. I read the paper of the discovery for Kepler b today in anticipation. They're so clever!

Must have a look at whatever star they find the planets orbiting next time I have the scope out. I won't see anything, but even for novelty value.

@ynotdu: I'm *always* online so I'll keep an eye on the forum, and if you miss anything I'll post it up.

Edit: ynotdu, the James Webb Space telescope should help us answer some of those questions. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Hauk wrote: »
    Can't feckin wait for this announcement.

Not long to go now. A link to the streaming audio will appear here just before the event, which is scheduled for 5pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

NASA announcement of the press conference to be held today at 1pm EDT.

Audio of the teleconference will be streamed live at: http://www.nasa.gov/newsaudio

Not really sure what to expect. I'm hoping they tell us they've found signatures of water vapour or something like that in the atmosphere of a planet in the habitable zone, but will need to confirm it over the coming years.

That would be massive news.

Oh, and ynotdu - I'll try my best :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

And after the ESO announcement this week on HD 10180, it's exciting times. Amazing how fast this field is progressing :D

Heres hoping we have found Goldilocks later.

2, maybe 3 planets? Is that all?

djhaxman wrote: »
    2, maybe 3 planets? Is that all?

Yeah...

Wow, what an anti-climax. :(

The ESO news was bigger. Guess it means that Kepler is working though.

Two Saturn like planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Not exactly mind blowing but any new discoveries is welcome news i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,771 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Balls.

Advertisement