Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting Irish driving license to Oz driving license

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a oz driving license based on my full irish license that i've had for more than 3 years. I'm in Melbourne. I've looked it up on http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au and it says i can swap it over but doesnt say anything about how much or how long to wait.

Anyone do this? If so how much was it and did it take long, could you just walk in and get it done? I need this for work.

Many thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You need to make an appointment with your local vic roads office, come in at the predestined time, they take a picture of you with a digital camera and they make you a new licence on the spot.

I can't remember how much a three year licence is... $70? That's a guess mind, but I think the three year one is about that and the 10 year one is over $100.

Don't let them physically take the Irish licence off you. I have both a UK licence and my Australian one; for some reason the bloke working when my husband and mother in law got theirs done thought it was appropriate to punch a hole with a hole punch in both my husband's and MIL's UK and Irish licences respectively. He probably thought you're only allowed hold one from any one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Cheers sweeper, i'll give em a buzz 2moro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

They do the same thing in Ireland. I wanted to get an Irish Licence when living there but they required proof that my Australian License was cancelled first. So I just continued to use my Australian Licence. It was allowed for 12 months or longer if there is an ongoing relationship with the other country. I think having a Job and a house here should be enough.

I did want an Irish License but I guess I was immune from points while on my other one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Handy to switch it over - some countries like Canada dont recognise (when required to switch over) the Irish licence but do the Australian and NZ (as far as I'm aware) - i'm sure there must be other countries as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Is it the same procedure with an Irish Learners Permit in Victoria?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

m83 wrote: »
    Is it the same procedure with an Irish Learners Permit in Victoria?

No only full licence I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

So can someone confirm you don't need to surrender your licence when getting one? In my case it would be new zealand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

That would depend on who you see at the desk at the time it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In Oz (NSW) they punch a hole in it and you get it back, probably so you can only transfer it once.

Might be also that if stopped by the law they will know you have transferred to an Oz Licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭C0N0R

I assume when they punch a hole in it it is still useable back here in Ireland? Ie it's not a massive hole

• Advertisement

They use an office hole punch. Licence is still usuable.

Worst comes to worst you can order a relacement Irish licence.

Next time I am chatting to Vicpol TMU I will ask what the procedure is when someone hands them an Irish Licence. Do they check the details for an Aussie one.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    In Oz (NSW) they punch a hole in it and you get it back, probably so you can only transfer it once.

Might be also that if stopped by the law they will know you have transferred to an Oz Licence.

This didn't happen to me ...

hussey wrote: »

It did to me, maybe they couldn't find a hole punch for yours.

+ 1 me neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Mine wasn't punched in either NSW or QLD. Now if only I could find the bloody thing. But my NSW licence was taken when I got my QLD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

First time around, years ago, I had the Irish license punched. Last time I had to sign a form saying I would no longer use my Irish one.

I *think* in NSW you can use the Irish license for 3 months on arrival after that you are expected to have swapped over.

I never had to sign that form, but when I got mine punched it was back in '05

myhorse wrote: »
    First time around, years ago, I had the Irish license punched. Last time I had to sign a form saying I would no longer use my Irish one.

I *think* in NSW you can use the Irish license for 3 months on arrival after that you are expected to have swapped over.

No that is not true, it is a common misunderstanding though, you only need to swap if a permanent resident. if on a WHV or 457 you don't need to swap.

Please note not all cops know this rule, so it could be handy if you print out this link.

A friend of mine was fined by a cop a few years ago for this offence, she eventually got it back/wiped, but a lot of hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

didnt happen to me either , i got me NSW liscence about 2 months ago

• Advertisement

I had no choice but to get an Aussie Licence while on my WHV, I went for a job interview and was told that they would only accept an Australian full Licence (no Probationary) and that if I could manage to get that they would call me back for a second interview.

Went straight to the RTA and got it swapped over.

Did you get the Job?

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Did you get the Job?

Sure did and they sponsored me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Walked into the licence place in WA, told them I wanted to get a WA licence, filled out a form, got me picture taken, a week later it arrived in the post

Advertisement