Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family campsites in Ireland - good ones?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Having returned to (real) camping in a new tent after an absence of 10 years, and spent a few days in Apple Farm Tipperary, I am looking for recommendations for other family friendly campsites? Information is very patchy on the web or from tourist offices, and user reviews I have read are very inconsistent.
    Criteria I look for are cleanliness of washroom areas, a campsite interested in people with tents (caravans and motorhomes not real camping), space, good ground for pitching, some supervision & sense of security, no pub nearby, family friendly and peace & quiet.
    There are many excellent campsites in France and the UK (can't find any in Northern Ireland?), recommendations welcome for Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i spent the weekend in the Hidden Valley Holiday Park in Wicklow, it is very family friendly. They do have caravans as well, but a river separates the caravans from the tents.
    They had great facilities and activities like kayaking, fishing, etc. and an adventure playground for children.
    The site is a good 10-15mins walk, up a very steap hill from the town, Rathdrum, so no pubs too close.
    It was just myself and my OH there, but there were tons of families and plenty of space for tents.

http://www.irelandholidaypark.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Morescastle Strand, near Kulmuckridge in Wexford. Very family friendly and right beside the beach. Try the motorhome forum for more advice and be prepared to pay twice what you did in Apple Farm (they are by far the cheapest around).
    a campsite interested in people with tents (caravans and motorhomes not real camping)

Not sure if that was sarcasm or a moan, but you won't make many friends with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Billyogthefirst

What a smart little comment .. ...

Anyway thanks for the suggestion of Morecastle, I am not interested in sites that suit campervans or motorhomes but in sites that suit tents.

No problem with campervans some of my best friends have them.

All suggestions welcome of good campsites which are clean!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

some of my inlaws have just come back from Eagle Point campsite in west Cork. They were very impressed with the place.

Advertisement