Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Easyrecovery.ie

• 24-08-2010 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have experience of this company: www.easyrecovery.ie?
    I am sending a Western Digital hd away to them today which I badly need recovered. The boot sectors are damaged, I was able to get some stuff off it but not what I wanted (Outlook pst file, My Documents etc.). Also Word docs were there but corrupted.
    They are pricey but it will be worth it if they recover everything. They say they have a 99% success rate which is impressive if true.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I'd be skeptical. Seems too cheap to me and a "no fix no fee" for a data recovery company is unheard of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Yes I am sceptical too; they said "our Diagnosis will confirm the level of data recovery that we can attain from your Hard Drive, we will contact you ASAP to determine what data you want recovered."
    That doesn't sound promising, I need to get everything back or else it's no good to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

The problem is lukin if you send your drive off to some cowboy they can actually make the problem worse.

If the drive is physically damaged they will need to fix it using a clean room and this can cost well over a grand depending on the amount of data that is recovered and the time it takes.

Maybe someone here could make a recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

Ask them if they're doing the recovery using software or hardware. If it's software based you could probably buy the software yourself without sending it off to them, although it could work out more expensive. Recovery using specific recovery hardware is always going to be more successful then something like a linux boot cd or software you can install in windows.

As RoadKillTs has said, sometimes you only get one shot at recovery so if not done properly you could end up as you are now, with nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭jpl888

Are you sure you have exhausted all your own options for recovery before sending off?

If you use something like ddrescue you will get as much stuff back as possible.

If that doesn't work then it will need to be sent off for hardware recovery.

On easyrecovery.ie they don't really mention what techniques they use, I would go for a different one that clearly states it's a hardware solution.

• Advertisement

I can't afford to spend a grand and I also have exhausted almost all options myself. I have tried a load of software on it (GetDataBack, Ontrack Recovery etc.) and it only recovers some stuff.
    I also haven't really the time to be messing about with it any longer as it takes ages for those recovery programs to run.
    The drive is not damaged physically, I messed it up by changing the active partiton. I was trying to install another OS and created a different partition and then made that partition active in DOS. When I tried to change the active partitoin back to the original one it said there was nothing on it.
    Stupid really, I should have left it alone:mad:
    I have sent it off to them now anyway.

lukin wrote: »
    I can't afford to spend a grand and I also have exhausted almost all options myself. I have tried a load of software on it (GetDataBack, Ontrack Recovery etc.) and it only recovers some stuff.
    I also haven't really the time to be messing about with it any longer as it takes ages for those recovery programs to run.
    The drive is not damaged physically, I messed it up by changing the active partiton. I was trying to install another OS and created a different partition and then made that partition active in DOS. When I tried to change the active partitoin back to the original one it said there was nothing on it.
    Stupid really, I should have left it alone:mad:
    I have sent it off to them now anyway.

Testdisk can get deleted partitions back in seconds. Changing the active partition wouldn't have deleted them, something else must've gone on.

I would've fixed it for a lot less than that.

jpl888 wrote: »
    Testdisk can get deleted partitions back in seconds.
    If I was to use every program that someone said "such and scuh a thing will recover it" I'd be in front of my PC for a month.:D Not saying you're not right though
    jpl888 wrote: »
    Changing the active partition wouldn't have deleted them, something else must've gone on.
    Yes that's what I'm thinking, maybe some static electricity or something.

lukin wrote: »
    If I was to use every program that someone said "such and scuh a thing will recover it" I'd be in front of my PC for a month.:D Not saying you're not right though

Yes that's what I'm thinking, maybe some static electricity or something.

Yes people like me sit in front of computers for months so that people like you don't have to :)

It's more likely that you accidentally deleted the partitions, or there is a physical problem with the disk.

That is unless you had the hard drive out ran around on lino with nylon bottom slippers waving your arms around like a looney, that would definitely fry it ;)

Erra I'm sick of now to be honest, it has my head done in. I just want to get my stuff back and no more about it. I will take a hit in the pocket but s**t happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement