Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dont Label them Junkies

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

WindSock wrote: »
    If people from the lower classes get treated more fairly by the justice system, then why are the majority in prison and on the streets from these classes?
    Certain types of crimes. There are criminals from every class, some are easier targets than others.

When your buddies are the government and the judges in this country, you get NAMA to pay your loans while we are subject to other laws of the land.

It is now stated that doctors should not tell their patients that they are obese, but that they are simply overweight as, to call someone obese, makes them feel as though they have a disease! I am sorry but my sister is morbidly obese, if I was only about a stone overweight and I was put in the same category as her, I would top myself. I would feel as though there was no hope of getting out of it.

We are so frightened of hurting peoples feelings we are getting ridiculous. People with long term drug abuse issues are collectively known as "junkies" be they high powered exectutives on coke or a fella slumped at a Luas stip with a needle in his arm in filthy clothes. People need to get over themselves!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

If people from the lower classes get treated more fairly by the justice system, then why are the majority in prison and on the streets from these classes?

Because they conytinue to commit crimes despite being treated fairly by the justice system and more importantly,they continue to get caught doing it.

We've all heard the court updates of some dirtbag with 50 convictions at age 25 being set free by the judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Not that easy, it's all well and good for someone who isn't addicted to say "well just stop using them". Heroin addiction I imagine is one of the hardest addictions to beat.
    2nd only to tobacco, they say.
    Nobody's asking you to pamper him, the issue is to stop reffering to him as a junkie. Maybe (and I use this term again, I'm not saying it will or won't work) it might change his outlook if he's not categorised as a scurge on society? It's just a maybe now, that's all.
    Wouldn't calling them a nicer name will make them think they are not so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Dudess wrote: »
    I agree.
    Fair play to your mother - not an environment where there's heroin though, to be fair.

True enough but she and the rest would have had access to alcohol and could have heavily abused that.

Sometimes people just have to have the balls to resist things. I know a girl who grew up and still lives in one of the most notorious communities in the country. She knows who to ask if she wanted to buy a gun or heroin, or even if she wants to hire someone as a hitman by paying them in cash or heroin. No unarmed Gardai enter the area if at all possible and all armed patrols run strange cars number plates through the system, one of these kind of places.

Yet she abhors gang violence and drug culture and has made a mark for herself as being outstanding academically and is as sound as a pound. She could have easily ended up in a gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

People should stop calling heroin users "junkies" or "addicts", an influential think tank on drugs has said.

I don't understand why the word addict is a problem at all. If someone with a drug problem goes to a 12-step program like Narcotic Anonymous, as part of their recovery program they have to admit to themselves and others that they are an addict - the website even has a checklist "Am I an addict?". Hell, the first step is to recognize that "We are powerless over addiction and our lives are unmanageable"

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If someone with a drug problem goes to a 12-step program like Narcotic Anonymous

<SNIP>

Hell, the first step is to recognize that "We are powerless over addiction and our lives are unmanageable"

Madness.
    Sounds like what someone said of Alcoholics Anonymous. They also said that you are meant to put your life in Gods hands, and other religious crap. It may not work for some people, but it does for some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

aaaaahh just in from work, ran over a load of fúcking junkies on the way home.

Now, whats this thread about?

EDIT: oh right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yes, because calling them poor innocent darlings with a disease will help so much.
    Who said that's what they should be called?
    Don't call child molesters pedophiles because it puts a bad label on these people, we should instead call them "kiddie love injectors", this will help child molesters feel less guilty and feel less depressed when they are rape choking their young prey... idiots! :rolleyes:
    rubadub wrote: »
    I would have given up cigarettes 4 years before I managed to, if only those cruel heartless animals had not called me a smoker. I think some goverment TV ad campaign even went as far as to say "smokers are jokers", christ- I was on the verge of suicide after that, what with my low self worth and all.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    This whole PC thing is gone beyond a joke. Pretty soon, referring to somebody as a Human will be frowned upon. If we can't call drug addicts junkies, then I presume we can't call killers killers? Is a rapist still a rapist? Is a boiled egg still a boiled egg?
    Paedophile, smoker, human, killer, rapist, boiled egg - these are all legitimate, non colloquial terms, sometimes formal terms. They're not derogatory or alternative terms like "junkie". I'm not in agreement with the appeal by the researchers - I think it's ridiculous too, and yes, PC (even an addict support group was critical of the report) and as has been said, a mere term is hardly a huge part of the problem, but the above comparisons are redundant.
    seamus wrote: »
    Somehow I think social stigma is the last thing a junkie piece of **** is worrying about. If they cared about their social appearance, they wouldn't be on the stuff in the first place.
    That is just so harsh and ignorant - it's not as simple as every junkie deciding "Right, I'm gonna start using heroin" as you surely know.
    Well if they don't want to be associated with drugs, they should stop using them. The fact is they DO use drugs, so association is going to happen. Theres a member of my family who I would quantify as a Junkie, its what he is, I'm not going to pamper him. I suppose joy-riders don't want to be associated with stealing either? Should we just call them "disadvantaged people who are bored and decide to travel fast in an exciting manner"? "Oh one of those disadvantaged people who are bored decided to use my car to travel fast in an exciting manner last night, I'm so p1ssed off now because of their selfishness".
    Not comparing like with like - a person doesn't develop a crippling addiction to joyriding the way they would to heroin/meth/crack. And "they should stop using them"? If only it were that easy.
    seamus wrote: »
    The factors leading up to their decision may explain why they did it, but it doesn't excuse it or make it any less their own problem. The Irish justice system has the same problem - they treat people from poorer or less educated backgrounds as being less responsible for their actions by virtue of that poorer background.
    It's not simply poorer background, there are several other factors: e.g. being in and out of care, being neglected, being abused, being carried in the womb of a drug-addicted mother.
    Degsy wrote: »
    I think junky is too leniant a term for people who drag two year old children around town with them while they beg,steal and deal in order to satisfy thier cravings.
    More than a craving Degsy, and yes, while the above is a horrible, depressing, disturbing sight, think about it: that two-year-old is highly likely gonna end up the kind of junkie adult who disgusts you and yet would you still hold them fully responsible for succumbing to that life? They don't have much of a chance wouldn't you agree? My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that you grew up in a community blighted by heroin addiction, so you've seen first-hand the awful things it can cause people to do and the awful people it can turn folks into, but would you not also have been made aware of the hopelessness of some of these people's situations?
    Well what about paedos, scumbags etc, are those words next? I see what your saying Dudess, but in my opinion there is a difference between a Junkie & a drug user.
    The point is, junkie is an alternative word for drug addict (not user) whereas e.g. "rapist" is "rapist".
    Sc@recrow wrote: »
    I fúcking hate junkies...blah blah society is to blame for my complete lack of willpower in not saying no to drugs like heroin/coke etc.
    Sure you have a setback,....get off your ass and work it out, not go home and inject/snort yourself full of drugs..

I'm sick of all this pc shíte.
    Saying we shouldn't use the term "junkie" is PC, acknowledging that not all junkies are simply lowlives who just decide to start using gear one day is not PC. It's a bit more than a mere "setback" for many, and people who haven't been in their shoes aren't in a position to judge the lot of them without knowing what life was like for them growing up.
    Is that a general statement, or directed at Yara Grumpy Reactivation?
    General statement.
    More PC bullsh1t

Whats next? Larry Murphy and other rapest will be called 'suprise love distributors'?
    No? You're not comparing like with like and nobody said junkies should be referred to with positive terminology.
    Did you read the article?

People should stop calling heroin users "junkies" or "addicts", an influential think tank on drugs has said.
    Yeah I did - I just focused on the "junkie" part though, my bad. Appealing for people not to use the term "addicts" is just dumb, the "can't we call a smoker a smoker any more?" type analogies are definitely more appropriate in that case.
    there is very little thought going into these posts.
    Absolutely - and I find it quite saddening that people can be so heartless.
    The issue is much bigger than that.
    Exactly - yet ironically you're being really black and white about it.
    Degsy wrote: »
    the one thing that brought them to that point is the taking of heroin..nothing more,nothing less.
    What about the circumstances that caused them to start using?
    People deal with horror in thier lives in different ways..some seek religion,some self-harm,some get on with it,some drink and some take heroin...but nobody HAS to take heroin no matter how fcucked up thier lives are..its thier choice to take it nobody else's.
    Agreed, but we all make stupid choices informed by our experiences - don't you think many regret this decision? Some kids don't have a hope, they don't have loving parents to guide them in the right direction - it's completely pointless to compare them to those who do.
    Sometimes people just have to have the balls to resist things. I know a girl who grew up and still lives in one of the most notorious communities in the country. She knows who to ask if she wanted to buy a gun or heroin, or even if she wants to hire someone as a hitman by paying them in cash or heroin. No unarmed Gardai enter the area if at all possible and all armed patrols run strange cars number plates through the system, one of these kind of places.

Yet she abhors gang violence and drug culture and has made a mark for herself as being outstanding academically and is as sound as a pound. She could have easily ended up in a gang.
    The majority of people who grow up in notorious communities don't end up as criminals/addicts, that shouldn't be seen as exceptional. What about those who don't have a hope family-wise though?

And to be honest, while people here are claiming they'd be supportive of those junkies who seek help, I can't help but think they'd be prejdudiced no matter what, such is the venom being displayed. I mean you've got "Cull the scum!" then "I'd respect someone who tries to get off heroin" - which is it?

I'm not naive, I know that plenty of junkies are just bad people and wouldn't give a **** about any understanding I have for them. I worked on Dublin's north inner city and saw plenty of drug addicts around (have to say, none gave me any hassle) but is it really so difficult to be more openminded, to consider individual cases rather than homogenising the lot of them, and to have a bit of compassion and a bit of bearing in mind that you can't always assume you'd do things differently when you're not in their shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

And "they should stop using them"? If only it were that easy.
    Prepare to be proven wrong by the xparts tomorrow.

In case you hadn't noticed, this is a rant thread and your compassion is most unwelcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

well if i cant call em junkies im gonna call em wasted space or a nuisance. perhaps a waste of tax? what a loada crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The majority of people who grow up in notorious communities don't end up as criminals/addicts, that shouldn't be seen as exceptional.

I dunno. A young teenager was caught by cops there a few years ago strolling down the street with a AK-47. Some of the gang dudes attempted to acquire RPG-7s a few years ago. Two kids were nearly burned to death when the car they were in was set on fire.

And only this week, two kids aged 10 and 14 found a dead junkie/addict in a boarded up house there:

http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/children-find-body-of-addict-128874.html

That dead guy was a father and only 36.

Plenty of temptation there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see how those cases indicate the majority of people from notorious areas become criminals/junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I like to think of junkies as People of a refined taste

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I've worked with addicts and they all have one trait in common - they are all incredibaly stupid/dim/mildly retarded individuals. You don't inject heroin into your veins unless you are bit on the thick side. I have no sympathy for them what so ever and if they goverment gave me the job of salughtering every last one of them in the morning I'd happily take the job on. I'd smile as my dagger plunged deep into their hearts.

Mr. Bateman, I presume?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

I'd smile as my dagger plunged deep into their hearts.

Dagger Of Scanger Slaying +2.

No saving throw will help them :(

Advertisement