Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gift Grub v Nob Nation

• 24-08-2010 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭

So they both did a p1ss take of Daithi O'Se and the Rose of Tralee this morning. Both very similar but I reckon Gift Grub's sketch was better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

So they both did a p1ss take of Daithi O'Se and the Rose of Tralee this morning. Both very similar but I reckon Gift Grub's sketch was better.
    I can't stand the nob guy, always a big fan of gift grub but haven't listened in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

Gift Grub is far superior in my opinion. I don't rate the "nob guy" at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

Didn't hear the sketches this morning but i would've expected gift grub to be better than nob nation like it always is. Oliver Callen is a very talented mimic but a comedy writer he is not, nob nation is just awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

jonas7 wrote: »
    Didn't hear the sketches this morning but i would've expected gift grub to be better than nob nation like it always is. Oliver Callen is a very talented mimic but a comedy writer he is not, nob nation is just awful.

Totally agree. Can't understand what all the fuss is about nob nation. Yes Callanan is a talented mimic but the scripts are awful and suffer badly in comparison to Gift Grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

Do they both write all their own material?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I wish they would both just call it a day, long gone past their sell by date. I am sick and tired of these attempts at comedy. I'd like to just hear music in the mornings and less of these 'zany' types. Maybe I'm just a grump, but they irritate me rather than amuse me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jonas7 wrote: »

ya can stream the gift grub one off todayfms site. its in a link on ian dempsys show.

NEVER rated nob nation at all, painfull stuff.

gift grub misses now and again but more often than not its comedy gold.

i still love that one on the politicans on dragons den

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

gift grub misses now and again but more often than not its comedy gold.

i still love that one on the politicans on dragons den

:)
    Maybe we should start a separate thread for this but my favourite Gift Grub is the one he did on Pat Kenny where the caller didn't want the Late Late Toy Show tickets. He did it to the tune of Patricia The Stripper.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I must be the only one to think that Gift Grub and that Nob Nation is miles better then? Tbh I find Gift Grub very tired and repetitive, and the few times I have listened to it the last while Daniel O'Donnell seems to be the only person being mimicked:confused:. Either him or Bertie Ahern/Roy Keane. I think Callen is much better at impersonating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

the nob nation jokes are desperate. i much prefer the gift grub even though some of the sketches are a bit hit and miss. although any time joan burton or roy keane are on i find myself laughing at the impersonations alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Havent heard either of them in a good while but last time I heard the nob nation guy all his accents had one thing in common ... they were only vaguely like the person he was trying to mimic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Even at the very height of Gift Grub, when Roy Keane was still playing, Ahern was Taoiseach etc, I always felt there was mnay more misses than hits. Most of the time it wasn't that funny.

Downloaded a few episodes of Nob Nation, pretty poisonous for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Havent heard either of them in a good while but last time I heard the nob nation guy all his accents had one thing in common ... they were only vaguely like the person he was trying to mimic

callan ( knob nation ) is a much better mimic and many of his charechters are indistinguishable from the real thing but as many posters have stated , he needs a script writer badly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

They're both terrible morning zoo 'funneh voices' hackery.

The Apres Match of radio.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hate both Nob and Gift in the mornings.

But I can just about tolerate one or the other later in the day.

Much later.

Thats because I'm a cranky fcuker in the mornings :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

irishh_bob wrote: »
    callan ( knob nation ) is a much better mimic and many of his charechters are indistinguishable from the real thing

Is he the one who done the Bertie & Louis Walsh accent for the cartoony Spar adverts on telly a while back? They were shockin poor mimics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

I think Gift Grubs Michael Flatley is brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LncqnEi8Rw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭FredBloggs

I heard Nob Nation for the first time in a while today. with this thread in mind I listened to it and didn't immediately change stations. The first thing that struck me was NOISE. Callan seems to think by TALKING VERY LOUDLY in the voices of his characters its funny. All the characters were shouting. He is undoubtedly a fine mimic and his imersenations are very good. What this morning reinforced to me is what has been said earlier - ie he needs a good scriptwriter. At the moment he reminds me too much of the little boy who thinks he's hillarious just because he can mimic his teachers. Give him a good tight script and good editing and nob Nation could be very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KeithCunningham

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I think Gift Grubs Michael Flatley is brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LncqnEi8Rw

It's one of my favorite gift characters, brilliantly done , and i love the almost
    " eddie lenihan - seanchaithe" warmth form the sketches.

It's the same in ever industry, when a product becomes huge and dominates
    the market there always a predecessor trying to tap into that success.

People know what the original is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It's one of my favorite gift characters, brilliantly done , and i love the almost
    " eddie lenihan - seanchaithe" warmth form the sketches.

It's the same in ever industry, when a product becomes huge and dominates
    the market there always a predecessor trying to tap into that success.

People know what the original is.

KC? Is it yerself?! :)

Good to see you on boards if so !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Neither are a patch on Scrap Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Didnt hear the Nob one,but the gift voices of Darcy,Tubbs,Gaybo and Daithi were awful imo....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Nob Nation by a country mile when he's on form.

Flatleys Ireland are some of the better ones especially with Daniel day Lewis and flatley touring the country.

Advertisement