Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house from Dublin City Council (after renting it)

Options
  • 24-08-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knew if house sales through Dublin City Council work the same way as buying a house on the open market.

I know if somebody is renting a house from the council they can opt to buy that house at a discount of 3% per year of renting up to a max of 30% (10 years renting +). However if the council say that the house is worth X amount can the potential buyer offer Y amount or is the amount the council say the house is worked a fixed amount?

I know that the council get their own valuer to value the house price and that if you can appeal that price if you get an independant valuer in. How sucessful would you be though if you got your own valuer in and they put the price of the house at a lesser price to the council's valuation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You could do this and if your valuer could put forward a good argument for his/her valuation, it might help. But it might not. The council could just decide it isn't worth its while selling below a certain price.

My suggestion is that you really need to talk to your local councillor as a next step.

Advertisement