Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Cisco box resetting on xbox connect

• 24-08-2010 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have UPC 15mb with the Cisco (junk) router. All works ok except that when the kids start up their xbox (connected to router with xbox live) the Cisco router goes offline. Basically the broadband drops out with DNS (trying to resolve host name etc) and takes a couple of minutes to resync and come back.

This doesn't happen all the time but its enough to annoy me. Anyone else seen this before?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

elderlemon wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have UPC 15mb with the Cisco (junk) router. All works ok except that when the kids start up their xbox (connected to router with xbox live) the Cisco router goes offline. Basically the broadband drops out with DNS (trying to resolve host name etc) and takes a couple of minutes to resync and come back.

This doesn't happen all the time but its enough to annoy me. Anyone else seen this before?

thanks

A little speculative, but try turning off the flood protection and see if there's an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Thanks - I already had it off. Not sure if this is a hardware problem or something caused by the DNS/dynamic ip address allocation that the router has to go through when the xbox starts. Might change (if it lets me) the xbox to a fixed IP and see if that has any impact.

Spear wrote: »
    A little speculative, but try turning off the flood protection and see if there's an improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Try changing to openDNS? http://www.opendns.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭JonB

elderlemon wrote: »
    Hi all,

thanks
    I acctually had this problem recently enough. Happened for about 2 weeks. However I just unplugged the modem and router for like a minute and haven't had the problem since.

Advertisement