Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I hate this country

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Bloody ridiculous .... makes me mad.

I have a commercial, I have no seats in the back, I can't carry passengers, I pull a trailer, I carry stuff to work, I DOE it every year, I have commercial insurance, I go to the shop with it ... but according to Gormley I can't use it other than for work.

I had a car, I sold it as it wasn't being used.

This country is a joke.

I'll sign any declaration at this stage and take my chances.

This straw has broken the camel's back.

I am seething.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

The sooner Gormless and the rest of the greens get booted out of Government the better. They seem to do all they can to lose as many votes in the next election as they can.
    Regarding this new racket I remember reading on here a few months back that if you tax a commercial as private, then the Nct won't test it as it is a commercial vehicle and not a passenger one. Could be wrong on this though.
    I have an 08 Auris van, but they won't tax it under the emissions rate cause they don't have a figure for it, even though its the same engine as in the car. They are going by engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

Could you be more specific?
    do you hate
    a) the countryside, lakes, mountains, fields, rivers or
    b) a nanny welfare state overarching power hungry greedy, cabal based, narrow interest groups, bureaucratic, government dictatorship?
    c) Or just the people in the country at the moment?

there's a whole other thread about the car tax in progress

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056002732&page=17

will you link to it please? ... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

do you hate
    b) a nanny welfare state overarching power hungry greedy, cabal based, narrow interest groups, bureaucratic, government dictatorship?

Option B with a touch of c :p

And i no there's another thread but i got to page 5 and its lost the run of itself. It will effect lads in here more than anyone else..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

What a joke. I'm self employed which means that I'm always working. If I'm stopped at 3 in the morning I'll just say that I'm coming/going to a meeting.....which will probably be the truth. I can't wait to see the headlines.... Man/Woman Prosecuted For Working Unsocial Hours. FFS give us a break.

And what about politicians using state cars for personal use, like promoting their autobiography?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I use my Hilux 4x4 for work virtually everyday but bring my daughter up the mountains for horse riding every saturday. I drive into nearby woods to collect mushrooms, read and sometimes fall asleep before collecting her. I then drive home.
    I sold my car as the Hilux suits me. Am I to be penalised for using the Hilux socially once a week or will I have to load some building materials for my saturday trip so I can pretend it's a commercial trip.

Also, I often drop into supermarket on way from site as I'm passing shop on way home. Am I then liable for combining business with social driving. Saves a lot of fuel conbiming the two trips.

Exactly ..... the whole thing is a joke.

Exactly ..... the whole thing is a joke.

Lot's of things in this country are said to be a joke but I fear the day the public stop laughing.

On a aseperate note does this mean folk can't take the John Deere down to the pub sat night anymore?

not unless he drinks an orange.

The publican will probably have to sign a declaration to the fact.

• Advertisement

Lot's of things in this country are said to be a joke but I fear the day the public stop laughing.

Well i wish they would hurry the fook up im getting pissed off waiting..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have a 4.6t Sprinter van that I use 2-3 days a week for a second job so I don't sit at home and sign on as my 'full' time job is on a 3 day week since last September.

I also have a car that I have taxed and insured. When I am in the van the car is parked and vice-versa.

So if I throw the dog in the van on a sunday of call into a mate on the way home from work on a Friday eve I will be breaking the law!

If I brought it into the NCT centre they would do some head scratching.

I am a DoE tester and up to a few months ago we were not allowed to test a van that was taxed privately, then this must have been seen coming down the pipeline and now we are allowed doing it despite not having an unladen weight printed on the log book.

These fcukers keep moving the goal posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Also, I often drop into supermarket on way from site as I'm passing shop on way home. Am I then liable for combining business with social driving. Saves a lot of fuel conbiming the two trips.

Yeah, but if you burn more fuel, then they get even more tax out of you.

F*** Gormless I'll blast away on commercial tax.
    If the Guards start pulling for this then half the yokes in the country will be off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭ingen

register yourself a registered business name €20.

then tell them you are on 24hr call. :D

feck the greens, gormley is doing a great job, at self destruct!

what an idiotic plan... hope the greens get wiped out in next election.

im sure this will destroy second hand values of commercial 4x4's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 YJB58

You know we all just sit at our computers and complain. Look if Barak Obama could use the internet to get himself elected president of the US why on earth can we the good and decent people of Ireland not use the same medium to get rid of the shower of wasters we have as our employees in Dail Eireann. Come on lets find a way of putting pressure on our representatives of all parties and none to start doing what we are paying them to do.

Im going to sticker up the landy with my company name (dont have one but will) and when stopped ill say i'm working! "what work i hear you ask", Advertising buisness:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i was stopped once heading into a pub and asked what i was doing, rather than saying "gonna get langared watching the rugby and then walk to a mates house and pass out there" i said i was in the office supplies business and trying to drum up business selling till rolls to pubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

I wouldn't worry to much about it until we see how well it's enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

do you hate

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056002732&page=17

personally it's a B and to some extent C

there is some amount of narrow minded arse holes out there at the moment, maybe it's the pollution down here in smelly east cork

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

I wouldn't worry to much about it until we see how well it's enforced.

Maybe getting there already, I heard people in Galway trying to tax their Comm Vehicle's are being asked to fill out new forms declaring a VAT number and proving that the Vehicle is linked to it or else pay the extra 900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Gormless !!!!!! OUT OUT OUT ;)

The Gards will not care less.

ingen has the ans though, any Gard worth his salt will see this as the joke that this is and wave you on.

Wonder of this will mean loads of 4x4, SUV owners deciding to sell and buy a normal car for bringing the kids to school.

I'm a little confused now. Would I be better off taxing my Hilux as a private vehicle that I use for work?
    It would be interesting to see the options.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭shannonpowerlab

I was wondering what if some one who owns a commercial vehicle use it for commuting as under revenue policy for taxation purposes travelling between our dwelling houses and work whether it is for a sole trader or working for a company considered private usage...

Does anyone have any ideas?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I'm just gonna carry a small tool box in the van. Or get myself a herd number for my goldfish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

Here's your answer:

I had to get jeep (commercial version-no seats in back etc) taxed last week. When I went into tax office the staff member handed me a form and told me to fill it out and get signed in Garda station that I'm only using it for commercial purposes. Its the form all the fuss is about,if I remember rightly it was a numbered "RF111 something". On it I had to put in my name,PPS number and write down the type of business I do,then sign it and get Garda stamp, which I filled in as I do use it for work. The official also said that this form must be filled in every time the motor tax is due for renewal.

I went down the road to the garda station, when I handed it to the Garda on duty he said "oh yeah, one of those", he signed and stamped it in about 5 seconds flat and out the door I went back to tax office and submitted all documents and got tax disc.
    All in all, no major fuss at all.

Come to think of it if you're not registered with the revenue as a business then you're snookered. When I returned to the tax office with the completed form the staff member blinked when she saw it was me returning with the form, as I'd say not many people have returned with it!

From what I've read here on this thread many of you have commercial vehicles-I suspect jeeps-taxed at commercial level to save you paying the higher rate as a private car and you are not registered as a business with the Revenue?
    Now when this new law have been brought in to close this obvious loop hole you're all getting hot under the collar and giving out about Greens etc.

Well,tough! Thats the whole reason it's been introduced to clamp down on people who are clearly ripping off the system. Legit businesses will have nothing to fear from this and it'll have nothing to do with the Guards policing this on the roads. Its the Revenue that will catch you out when you go to renew your motor tax as they will just need to compare what you have declared already in your income taxes whether you are registered with them as a business or not.
    Also that spokesman from the AA who was quoted asking are the Guards going to check people driving to Mass/collecting kids from schools etc-rubbish! They won't need to as it all comes down to whether you will sign off on the form when you come to renew the tax and then the Revenue will have you by the liathroidi!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24 JayTi

I got my commercial 4x4 taxed in wicklow last week - no questions - no declaration. The guy at the next counter (in work gear) was asked had he filled in the garda declaration and was sent off to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

and i have two friends both with commercial vehicles one a converted passenger car taxed for the 1st time in navan no problem ,the other a lad with a crew cab he's owned it for 2 years no way no how would they tax it for him so he had to tax it privately that was in athlone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

As a matter of interest OP how much was the private tax on the crew cab??
    I want to see would it be worth my while getting a crew cab?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

I have a commercial VW Transporter taxed privately. The DoE dont do private vehicles and the NCT dont do commercial vehicles ......

Happy days!

Grow up and stop whinging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

I think that's changed now according to post 750 in the thread on this subject over on motors. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056002732&page=50

Seems DOE centres have been told to test privately registered vans.

That correct Sean. We have since been told that we can test privately taxed vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wow! does that mean you can compete with the NCT?

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Wow! does that mean you can compete with the NCT?

Its not much competing.

NCT is for 2 years, DoE for 1

NCT is 50 quid, DoE is 86

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

NCT is going to be annual for vehicles over a certain age though no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Supposed to be for vehicles over 10 years old but hasn't come in yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

ill know next month when i go too renew my commerical jeep ,if i have too fill out extra forms or not,the form that seems too have all the fuss about is the form you use when you first tax commerical in your name but not at renewals,tell you one thing,i dont care if it wasnt inforced or not ,the greens wont be getting my vote next time around,thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

ill know next month when i go too renew my commerical jeep ,if i have too fill out extra forms or not,the form that seems too have all the fuss about is the form you use when you first tax commerical in your name but not at renewals,tell you one thing,i dont care if it wasnt inforced or not ,the greens wont be getting my vote next time around,thats for sure

Why? Did you vote for that shower last time??:D

Jonty wrote: »
    Why? Did you vote for that shower last time??:D

i diidnt but wont be thsi time either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

apparantly some tax offices are now refusing to tax commecial vehicles as commercial if its insured buisness SOCIAL AND DOMESTIC :eek:

landkeeper wrote: »
    apparantly some tax offices are now refusing to tax commecial vehicles as commercial if its insured buisness SOCIAL AND DOMESTIC :eek:

ill know myself next month,what a country we live in
    think next year ill be gone from these shores for good as i did before but never too come back,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭kincaid

so how is the nct centres going to cope with these mass of commericals, ontop of the vrt checking, the 1 year nct test on vehicles over 10 yr old .. bloodly hell they cant even cope with the 2 year car test on its own.. SOMETHING SERIOUSLY WRONG WITH THE WHOLE SETUP...MONKEYS RUNNING THE SHOW

Advertisement