Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How far do you commute to work?

• 24-08-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

There's been this thread a few months back afair. But times change and people get jobs etc.

I spend 20 mins walking in every day around ~2km, thinking of moving North Side for cheaper rent, would make my journey 45-60 mins.. What do ya'll do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

2 min walk...get in, 1-0, game over :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Sometimes I cycle, sometimes I drive. Depends on if feeling lazy / it's raining :o

Takes about 5 minutes for both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

A 22 minute drive

(every extra minute in bed counts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

30 miles each way if it's just me, 35 miles each way if my wife is in the car as she works a couple of minutes further down the road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

if i walk its 40mins

or on a bus its about 20 mins in total............. then i play games :)

• Advertisement

30min walk/15min cycle or 5 mins in a car on the really shítty winter mornings.

Commuting will be a thing for the well off only in 15 years or so when oil prices really start to shoot up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

40 minute drive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

I used to commute roughly 20 hours per week (2hrs in morning, 2 hours evening x 5 days a week) The majority of this was spent in traffic, travelling from town 30 miles down the N3.

i have since moved job and the commute is now just 20 mins. It's only when i look back at the commute to Dublin used to struggle through that I realise how soul destroying it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Half hour drive in every day to Dublin 1, not bad, wish they would reopen college green though, quays can be too busy some days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

About 24 mins across 15 miles of the back roads from hell which are covered in pot holes :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

10 minute drive each way/
    tis grand

not exactly a commute is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

40 minute bus journey. I work off-peak hours, can be 22 minutes sunday mornings :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Nip from Ballymun onto the M50, onto the M1, come off the Skerries exit, shoot up to Swords, and Bob is indeed your uncle. 15-20 minutes each way.

Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

bus today..

yesterday it was the cycle.... till i stacked it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Too Bloody far.

I Live in Monkstown and the office is in Swords.
    That's more than the entire M50... twice a day.. With tolls..

Costs me about 450 yoyo a month just getting in and out of the office :(

When I had the car, 15 mins each way.. was always against the traffic. now it takes six mins to reach eyre square nd a half hour on the bus.. I think it's great cause gift over an hour of good music/reading/mobile boards a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

20 to 25 minutes to get in in the morning 25 to 35 minutes getting home in the evening.

I live about 12 km from work and cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

5 minute walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

16 minute drive for me. Left early this morning and got stuck in a line of traffic behind a knob doing 35MPH, which meant I didn't arrive early at all. Last time I'll make that mistake;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

30 second walk to bus stop, 30-40 minute bus journey (x), 3-4 minute walk to another bus stop and finally another 20-30 minute bus journey. Coming home add another 20 minutes to the overall journey due to traffic and not having any X buses available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

4 minute walk when I'm in HQ.

Then they started making me work in different sites the odd time so sometimes a 25 minute Luas journey and an 8 minute walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

28.5 mile roundtrip. Dublin City Centre in the middle of it. Can take an hour each way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've a 5km commute and I cycle. It takes me 25min door-to-door. When the weather gets horrible I get the bus, which takes twice as long, but I get to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭MMD

Will be starting a 2 there, 2 hour back commute in Sept.....the joys of saving moolah, will be worth it though after the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

15 minute walk :) There's a really steep hill leading up to where I live, it's a killer after a long day but I just keep thinking 'buns of steel, buns of steel' :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

5 minute walk, 7 if I'm feeling lazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

15 second walk. I live in Amsterdam. The company I work for is around the corner. I come home for a nap at lunchtime :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

kfallon wrote: »

My office / studio is a 10 second walk from my back door. Get in! 2-1 to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

30 mins plus(depending on traffic), drumcondra to blanch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Its because you work in your basement kfallon.

or should I call you Josef.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

150 mile round trip every day - Kilkenny town/city centre to Dublin city centre. 1hr 20 mins in the morning, 1 hr 45mins to 2 hrs in the evening.

Looking forward to M9 being completed, will knock around 15 mins off each way.

Home before some Dublin city centre colleagues most nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Work in the centre of Dublin. It takes around 40 minutes on Dublin bus. Think it's about 7 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Enter Username

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Too Bloody far.

WHAT!!! 450!!! -- surely not??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Brendog wrote: »
    Its because you work in your basement kfallon.

or should I call you Josef.....

You must be one slow walker if it takes you 2 mins to get from your bedroom to your basement :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Sykk wrote: »
    I spend 20 mins walking in every day around ~2km, thinking of moving North Side for cheaper rent, would make my journey 45-60 mins.. What do ya'll do?

Same as yourself, a 20 min walk, pretty sweet. Unless you're going to save a bucketload on rent don't sacrifice your commute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Too Bloody far.

Thats crazy. Could you not get the Dart to Malahide and bus over? Or keep a bike between the dart station and work and cycle there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

No traffic: 15/20 minutes' drive
    Traffic: up to 50 minutes

I drive through some of town (Cork) then onto the dual carriageway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭d1975

4 min walk to Dart, 20 min on dart, 10 min walk 5 days a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Too Bloody far.

€450 a month??? I have a 190km round trip every day and I don't think it costs that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've about a 5 - 10 minute walk to the Luas then about 20 - 25 minutes on the Luas itself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

Shannon to Raheen normally (non-school holiday) 45mins - 60mins sometimes longer. Same again on the way back.

Now with the Shunnel 15mins each way*.:D

*It's going to cost €860 a year for the privlige. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

30 minutes round trip walking. Sitting my theory test soon. Just for those extra few minutes in bed!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

During the summer months when the kids are in school its about 8mins in the car.
    When the kids are back in school it takes about 30mins with the traffic :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

2 hrs 15mins in the morning and 2 hrs in the evening. FML!

12 more months at least of it too. grrr. €50 per 2 days give or take on petrol so about €125 a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

54 miles to work and 54 miles home. Doing it for over 12 years and to think of all the time that has been wasted in the car. I still promise myself that someday I'll move nearer.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fakeaccent

94 mile round trip every day. 65 minutes to get in and 80 minutes home on average in the car. It's not too bad coz it's mostly motorway and dual carraigeway. Costs €60 in petrol per week.

I'm not actually that long in the car compared to some and used to spend longer getting home by 2 buses in my old job, didn't spend as much on transport though mind you.

Still, wasn't gonna turn down a good job for the sake of a commute, not when there's a mortgage to be paid!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fakeaccent

€450 a month??? I have a 190km round trip every day and I don't think it costs that much.

Could easily cost that or more if you're paying for petrol plus toll fares twice a day. Going through the M50 is 2 euro a pop even with a tag. That's €20 a week before you've even filled the tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

55 mins driving to get to work and same again in the evening ..no traffic lights or congestion on my route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

You must be one slow walker if it takes you 2 mins to get from your bedroom to your basement :pac:

It takes me 1 min to walk to my basement.

2 mins to walk to my cellar

4 mins to walk to my dungeon

6 mins to walk to my wardrobe

8 mins to walk to Narnia

and 30 mins to bone the Ice Queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

20 mins in the morning and 20 mins in the evening. Sandyford to Citywest via M50 and N7. Since the 3rd lane opened on the M50 it has been brilliant!

• Advertisement
Advertisement