Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How soon to replace a much loved dog...

Options
  • 24-08-2010 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi - had to make the ROTTEN decision to put our dog to sleep last week and are both gutted as he was more than 'just a dog' to us. The thing is, we both want to get another dog but dunno whether to wait a while or not..The house is so quiet and empty without him and we are a bit 'lost'.

Also expecting 1st baby in October and think would be better to have dog got before then?? Would be a good distraction also? Thanx for advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

If you feel you're ready...then theres no right amount of time to wait. Go for it.;)

Theres so many lovely dogs looking for homes at the minute. Good idea having one settled before baby arrives.Although im not 100% sure if 1 month is enough time to have him completely settled. Maybe someone with behavioural experience could put me straight on that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

But dogs like routine and yours is going to be all over the shop when baby arrives.

If I were you I'd wait until after baby and then see if you're still in a position to give a dog a home where you can give it all the attention it needs.

Now I'm not saying it'll happen OP but there's hundreds of dogs in shelters given up because people had babies and didn't realise how much time it takes to look after both. You can always get one later but if you get one now then what happens if it doesn't work out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

shigg wrote: »
    Hi - had to make the ROTTEN decision to put our dog to sleep last week and are both gutted as he was more than 'just a dog' to us. The thing is, we both want to get another dog but dunno whether to wait a while or not..The house is so quiet and empty without him and we are a bit 'lost'.

Also expecting 1st baby in October and think would be better to have dog got before then?? Would be a good distraction also? Thanx for advice...

so sorry to hear about your loss.... im sure your guys are devastated...

are you thinking of getting a puppy?? if so i would DEF not get a puppy when your expecting your first baby in Oct (congrats by the way), as this is your first baby, its a whole new begining etc... a puppy and a baby would be a massive strain on you both...

if you are thinking of getting a dog i would wait until after the baby arrives... a new dog can take time to adjust... if he/she adjusts ok... then a new addition in OCT might upset the routine etc..

Personally i would wait.... give it six months to mourn you dog, greet your new baby and have time to enjoy the new baby... the get a puppy or dog that can grow with your baby etc...

Best of Luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

There is no set lenght of time. It depends on you. Some people like to have the distraction of an other dog, others cant face it. We waited about 6 weeks before getting a new cat. We had builders next door and she just up'd and left on day. However if your having a baby you will have ur hands full and might find both too much work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think only you can answer this OP, I know how much pain you muct be feeling at the moment. When my Cocker Spaniel pup was killed a few years ago (we only had her 4 months :() I got another one two weeks later as I couldn't bear how quiet the house was. I know some people would say that that was the wrong thing to do, but it was my way of coping.

However, with a baby on the way, I would be inclined to wait. You only have a month before the baby comes, that's not long enough for a dog to get settled. In fact it may not even be house trained by then. Also, who would mind the dog while you are in hospital? I think you would have enough on your plate with a new baby without having a new dog too!

If I were you, I would wait until Spring. That way you are well back on your feet after the baby and the days are drawing out for walking the dog/ toilet training him.

Best of luck with the baby and so sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, it's never easy to loose a pet.

I'd agree with the advice to wait until spring to get a new dog. I had my first baby 6 months ago and I wasn't prepared for the massive tiredness/upheaval/emotional rollercoaster. It's only now that I feel I'm getting back on track. I have 6 dogs that were well established and trained and it still was an extra burden the first few months I sometimes wished I didn't have. We're out the other side but I really would suggest you spend the time getting used to your human puppy before getting a canine one too, you'll feel saner for it!

What about walking neighbours dogs? That might tide you over the next couple of months. Or maybe your local rescue would appreciate you walking/grooming their dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

I'm not a dog expert and don't have one myself, but given that dogs can be territorial could there be a problem with the baby arriving after the dog?
    i.e. The dog wouldn't be happy because he was there first, then a baby arrives and starts getting all the attention, so the dog sees the baby as a rival. Whereas if the dog is the latest arrival, he will know his place from the start.

drBill wrote: »
    I'm not a dog expert and don't have one myself, but given that dogs can be territorial could there be a problem with the baby arriving after the dog?
    i.e. The dog wouldn't be happy because he was there first, then a baby arrives and starts getting all the attention, so the dog sees the baby as a rival. Whereas if the dog is the latest arrival, he will know his place from the start.

I agree with this. Easier to introduce dog to a household with a baby already in it rather than trying to introduce a baby into a house the dog may very well see as 'his'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

Oh God wait until after the baby. I know a couple who did exactly what you said - were a bit lost so got a puppy. She has a baby a few months later and BAM! they didn't have time to even go to the loo let alone take care of the new dog!

New dog became a handful - he was barely out of puppyhood himself, wasn't being walked and was bored out of his mind. He barked constantly. Got into everything....he was going a bit nuts.
    The new mother found it all a bit overwhelming and cried a lot. They had to take the very painful decision to give him away.

You feel lost now, but trust me, in another month you won't be feeling like that anymore!

drBill wrote: »

If you've brought up a dog properly, where they know that you're the head of your household and decide who comes in then it doesn't matter when you get a dog. The jealousy/territorial problems come when a person treats a dog like a substitute baby instead of a dog and allow the dog decide the rules. I already had my 6 dogs when I got pregnant and I haven't had a seconds trouble with any of my dogs because they know I'm the boss lady and could bring in an elephant into the house if I wanted. Having said that I don't leave my baby alone with my dogs for any reason because as much as I adore my dogs I don't believe you can trust any dog 100% around a small baby, no more than I'd trust my baby not to annoy the dogs when she gets moving.

• Advertisement

If you've brought up a dog properly, where they know that you're the head of your household and decide who comes in then it doesn't matter when you get a dog. The jealousy/territorial problems come when a person treats a dog like a substitute baby instead of a dog and allow the dog decide the rules. I already had my 6 dogs when I got pregnant and I haven't had a seconds trouble with any of my dogs because they know I'm the boss lady and could bring in an elephant into the house if I wanted. Having said that I don't leave my baby alone with my dogs for any reason because as much as I adore my dogs I don't believe you can trust any dog 100% around a small baby, no more than I'd trust my baby not to annoy the dogs when she gets moving.

That's true TooManyDogs, but the OP doesn't have time to train the new dog properly, the baby is due in just over a month. I agree that a fully trained dog shouldn't react to a new baby in the house, but a new dog, whether a puppy or a dog from a shelter that's only in the house a month? The OP could be in for a world of trouble when the baby arrives.

I'd agree with the advice to wait until spring to get a new dog. I had my first baby 6 months ago and I wasn't prepared for the massive tiredness/upheaval/emotional rollercoaster. It's only now that I feel I'm getting back on track. I have 6 dogs that were well established and trained and it still was an extra burden the first few months I sometimes wished I didn't have. We're out the other side but I really would suggest you spend the time getting used to your human puppy before getting a canine one too, you'll feel saner for it!

What about walking neighbours dogs? That might tide you over the next couple of months. Or maybe your local rescue would appreciate you walking/grooming their dogs?

That's why I aggreed with the others suggesting that they wait until after they've settled down with the baby! Just didn't want people to think that they always have to wait until after they have a baby to get a dog.

Advertisement