Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Ireland Website

• 24-08-2010 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭

Is it just me, or is the Cycling Ireland website pure crap, especially for info for events (http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home.aspx).
    It has a calendar of events, but no events. The front page currently says no events in August - and this for a national federation getting lots of public funding.
    They have recently put up links to databases etc, but even these were very difficult to find all summer.
    And even when you could find the calendar, there were the slimmest of details. In fairness, this may be partly the fault of organisers who do not provide the details.
    In general, I found cycling races to be like a bit of a secret society trying to get info on events - starting times, sign on location, etc, etc.
    This is a failry new website - I'd love to know how much they paid for it. And as for registering online annually, and getting a lisence for the first events next year - I am not looking forward to the annual hassle involved.
    I don't like criticising and ranting about volunteers who give their time and make events happen, but Cycling Ireland now has quite a few people employed (no details on site) and the least they should do is make it easy to join and give info on events.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Some previous ranting here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

They have a relatively small number of employee's and they all work flat out .
    The website has all the information you need but is an absolute nightmare to navigate.
    The more feedback they get the more likely they are to change it.
    There is an email contact on the site for this sort of feedback (feedback is the PC term for complaints these days ;))

Go to

http://www.cyclingireland.ie/Home.aspx

and just scroll to the bottom of the page it's the info@ address

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

www.irishcycling.com is the business when it comes to cycling in ireland. perhaps cycling ireland should note!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Looking for events in the Events section? Whatever next ;).

You can find the calendars here:

Road
    http://cyclingireland.ie/Home/Road/Calendar.aspx

Offroad
    http://cyclingireland.ie/Home/MTB/Calendar.aspx

Leisure
    http://cyclingireland.ie/Home/Leisure/Calendar.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Whatever about their content, which I've had trouble browsing through to find anything, the design of the site is woeful too.

For one thing, the login facility on their home page is not SSL protected/encrypted so your username and password are not protected in transit if you use that route to login. They do have the capability to allow encrypted connections right now, they just don't seem to bother pointing people at the right page (it's here for those that don't already use it). Given that your profile contains sensitive information such as your date of birth, not enforcing proper protection of your credentials is completely unprofessional and irresponsible on their part. Also, if I remember correctly, when you change your password they e-mail you the new password so potentially expose your credentials to a wider audience that way too. Very little thought has gone into implementing even the most basic and simple security controls on the site.

A more general issue is that they print your date of birth on your license, labelled as your "UCI code", which is at the very least stupid and the legality of it is possibly questionable too. Again, it demonstrates a very casual approach on their part to data protection, which no commercial entity would be allowed to get away with.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

doozerie wrote: »
    A more general issue is that they print your date of birth on your license, labelled as your "UCI code", which is at the very least stupid and the legality of it is possibly questionable too. Again, it demonstrates a very casual approach on their part to data protection, which no commercial entity would be allowed to get away with.

To be fair the UCI code containing the DOB does come as a rule from the UCI. Every Cycling governing body issues them in this format.

RobFowl wrote: »
    To be fair the UCI code containing the DOB does come as a rule from the UCI. Every Cycling governing body issues them in this format.

I haven't seen the codes that other national cycling bodies use, but if they do all follow this format then it's certainly the UCI that are at fault for this issue rather than Cycling Ireland. It might also help explain Cycling Ireland's cavalier attitude to such sensitive data too, at least in part.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

It's a disgrace considering that they have spent about 40k in the last two years on website development. It has nothing to do with volunteers being busy when a commercial firm has been employed to produce a website which clearly is a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

40K - and the calendar on the front page doesn't even work.
    How could anyone sighn off on a project like that and pay over if it wasn't working properly?
    In the interests of fairness, we have to be careful here as we don't know what the terms of the contract were with the site builders etc. The site doesn't say who built it - not on every site, granted, but often provided.
    Is there any way we can ask CI for a response - anybone been at AGM where it might have been discussed?

Is there any way we can ask CI for a response - anybone been at AGM where it might have been discussed?

You can send them an e-mail.

I sent them an e-mail once. Got no reply. I guess they were too busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

A more general issue is that they print your date of birth on your license, labelled as your "UCI code",
    UCI code is alwaays the nation code of the license issuer plus the date of birth of the holder. So IRL19801225, for example. It has to be on the license as you can't ride a UCI listed event without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Lumen wrote: »
    You can send them an e-mail.

I sent them an e-mail once. Got no reply. I guess they were too busy.

They probably haven't worked out how to open the emails yet :D

In fairness, I sent them a mail about the website issues that I mentioned above (unsecured login, e-mailing you your new password every time you change it) and they replied very quickly saying that they'd raise it with the site maintainers. Of course, it's one thing to say you'll look at something and another thing entirely to actually do so but a quick response is promising at least. The fixes for both issues should be very simple and quick but they'll also be very visible when done so if they do actually tackle those problems it should be quite obvious (and if they don't, that'll be quite obvious too).

I would imagine that they suffer from the same problem as any small company/entity in that they may not have the technical know-how to appreciate the quality, or lack of, of the web "solution" that they've been sold (I'm assuming that their website was designed and implemented by a third party). The security issues that I raised with them are well understood and basic ones, as well as being glaringly obvious, and no professional company should implement a website that suffers from them. It's a bit like the bike shop equivalent of swapping the front and back wheels of a bike and hoping that no-one will notice as they try to sell the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

Uci codes have been around ages

Never heard complaints before

What would u be so sensitive about? Any examples?

Uci codes have been around ages

Never heard complaints before

What would u be so sensitive about? Any examples?

Your date of birth is personally identifiable information and as such is valuable and therefore sensitive. As an example, it is one piece of information that you use to identify yourself to banks over the phone but it is used as a reliable means of helping uniquely identify you by other industries too including the gardai. It is extremely useful to anyone trying to commit identify theft which is why people should be, and generally are, very careful about making it public knowledge.

If you want a specific case of it being labelled as sensitive information that should not be broadcast, then here is a quote from section 4.6 of the Data Protection code of practice for An Garda Siochana:
    A member should exercise discretion when seeking certain types of information from a data subject in a public place, e.g. date of birth.

Each individual is obviously free to make their own date of birth widely known (e.g. on Facebook), but that is their choice. In the case of the UCI code you don't get a choice, it is printed on your license and it is anyone's guess as to where else they may use it casually. It's a mystery to me why the UCI has to use sensitive information for this purpose, particularly when these codes are clearly far from unique. Your license already states your category so the date of birth being on their is superfluous at best.

Your date of birth is personally identifiable information and as such is valuable and therefore sensitive. As an example, it is one piece of information that you use to identify yourself to banks over the phone but it is used as a reliable means of helping uniquely identify you by other industries too including the gardai. It is extremely useful to anyone trying to commit identify theft which is why people should be, and generally are, very careful about making it public knowledge.

If you want a specific case of it being labelled as sensitive information that should not be broadcast, then here is a quote from section 4.6 of the Data Protection code of practice for An Garda Siochana:

Each individual is obviously free to make their own date of birth widely known (e.g. on Facebook), but that is their choice. In the case of the UCI code you don't get a choice, it is printed on your license and it is anyone's guess as to where else they may use it casually. It's a mystery to me why the UCI has to use sensitive information for this purpose, particularly when these codes are clearly far from unique. Your license already states your category so the date of birth being on their is superfluous at best.

so the uci code published for everyone with a licence somewhere? or it just listed in race results etc for ras etc?

Isn't this issue becoming more prevalent with more common decemination of data via www etc? should UCI have to change their set up previously in place to cater for advances in IT or is that the duty of IT??

so the uci code published for everyone with a licence somewhere? or it just listed in race results etc for ras etc?

Isn't this issue becoming more prevalent with more common decemination of data via www etc? should UCI have to change their set up previously in place to cater for advances in IT or is that the duty of IT??

The UCI has been around since 1900, 78 years after Charles Babbage had designed his first computer.

They should have, like, totally foreseen the issues with data protection and identity theft.

The UCI has been around since 1900, 78 years after Charles Babbage had designed his first computer.

They should have, like, totally foreseen the issues with data protection and identity theft.

Well it isn't unusual for them to ban something because of new technology is it? :D:D

Identity theft is not an IT issue as such, it's far broader than that. The problem gets more attention these days but it has existed for a lot longer than computer networks. As one example of a simple step that many people have taken to protect themselves against identity theft, these days I would think that most people tend not to just throw their bank statements, expired identity cards, etc., straight into the bin. People generally realise that they may have been overly casual about such documents, and the valuable information they contain, in the past. However many people, and organisations, continue to be casual about some examples/types of sensitive personal information and the likes of date of birth and mother's maiden name are some examples of information that is deemed as very sensitive/valuable by some organisations yet seen by many people as having no value at all.

So yes, the UCI should reconsider their use of date of birth as some sort of code for riders, not because of any advances in IT but because of the accepted realisation (for many years now) that such information is sensitive and needs to be treated with care. It's not an IT issue, it's an administrative issue. So if the UCI cares about being viewed as a backward-thinking organisation that is entrenched in the past and incapable of change, then they'll look at issues like this ...so I won't exactly be holding my breath in anticipation of a change in their practices.

Besides, date of birth plus country code is a rubbish way of referencing an individual rider. The likelihood of two riders from the same country sharing the same date of birth is quite high and as soon as you hit that scenario you now have to extend the code for one of them in order to be able to uniquely identify them. If you have to extend the code, by adding extra digits or whatever, then you may as well have used some proper reliably unique reference for the riders in the first place and avoid using non-unique and sensitive data entirely. They manage to allocate license numbers, which are presumably unique, so it's not at all clear to me what the purpose of the UCI code is anyway, though whether the code is actually of any use is a separate question.

If u are so emotive on the matter why not write to the uci on the matter instead of just writing on boards

Licence numbers are given with licences in Ireland by cycling ireland to help race organisers I gather. This does not happen in France or Belgium for example where one gets a race number for each race usually

Uci codes are very useful to organisers when it comes to age classification

Again I'd ask is everyones uci code published online just because they have a ci racing licence? Where exactly is the problem?

• Advertisement

@Slideshowbob: I'm not being emotive, I'm pointing out something that I believe to be an issue. You clearly disagree that it is an issue but here you are posting about it - does that make you emotive too then?

As regards how widely these codes are used, they appear to be an international requirement of the UCI which suggests that they are used in France and Belgium as well as everywhere else (e.g. Canada certainly use them). As to the use of these codes to race organisers - I have no idea what use they are. Your license already contains a presumably unique license number, and your category, so I can't see why date of birth is also needed.

As to the problem, well we are going round in circles now. Your date of birth is sensitive personal information that it would appear the UCI uses as a pointless (you already have a license number) and ineffective (it's not unique) means of identifying riders. Where do they publish this information? - I don't know, though I'd like to, but they certainly print it on your license as a matter of course. Whether it is an issue for you as an individual depends on whether you consider your date of birth sensitive information. Presumably Slideshowbob is not the name on your birth cert so you already choose not to make your real name public knowledge on an Internet forum, so privacy matters to you on some level, it's a matter of where you draw the line on what else constitutes an invasion of your privacy.

And as for reporting it as an issue to the UCI, well I've started small by reporting to Cycling Ireland the lack of security on the login service on their website. They have an easy fix to their relatively serious problems, yet 48 hours later one of those problems certainly persists and I suspect the other one does too. As a measure of how seriously UCI and their affiliates take privacy of sensitive data it doesn't bode well so I don't have the enthusiasm to chase the UCI themselves as I suspect they are too busy obsessing over "scary" modern bike design to give a toss about something as trivial as personal privacy.

40K - and the calendar on the front page doesn't even work.
    How could anyone sighn off on a project like that and pay over if it wasn't working properly?
    In the interests of fairness, we have to be careful here as we don't know what the terms of the contract were with the site builders etc. The site doesn't say who built it - not on every site, granted, but often provided.

As regards who designed the Cycling Ireland website, it may be a coincidence but the website is hosted on a server with an IP address from a range allocated to EG Information Consulting (now known as Etain Software apparently), whose own website lists web development amongst their services.

Edit: Plus a Google cached page from Aug 9th 2010 contained a link to the EG Consulting web page under "Track Links Page" for some bizarre reason.

Who prints the CI licences because they have your name, address & date of birth? A whole lot of sensitive information.

Doozerie, if it bothers you get the Data Protection Commissioner involved. In my experience they prefer you to have first attempted to resolve your problem with the organisation you are reporting.

I assume you're a CI member already?

I'm really worried now...

My passport and drivers licence have my DOB on them as well :rolleyes:

I think there's a bit of overreaction and hysteria here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'm really worried now...

My passport and drivers licence have my DOB on them as well :rolleyes:

I think there's a bit of overreaction and hysteria here.

Your birth cert too.

Raam wrote: »
    Your birth cert too.

Marriage cert as well :eek:

This just gets worse and worse.

The school asked for my kids DOB as well.........

Doozerie, if it bothers you get the Data Protection Commissioner involved. In my experience they prefer you to have first attempted to resolve your problem with the organisation you are reporting.

I assume you're a CI member already?

Yes, I am a CI member. If Cycling Ireland don't sort out their website soon then I may well contact the Data Protection Commissioner as currently I believe their website falls foul of section 2(1)(d) of the Data Protection Act:
    (d )appropriate security measures shall be taken against unauthorised access to, or
    unauthorised alteration, disclosure or destruction of, the data, in particular where the
    processing involves the transmission of data over a network, and against all other unlawful forms of processing.

Given that resolving the security issues with the website should be such a trivial task, it makes no sense for it to go as far as the Data Protection Commissioner though, but if that's what it ultimately takes for Cycling Ireland to take data privacy seriously then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I would've thought bob, of all people, would be sensitive to issues of anonymity and related paranoia.

• Advertisement

it all proves the systems works:D

jezz it aint as if some of these data sensitive people need to be concerned about their uci code reaching Ras result pages or anything :rolleyes:

can the sensitive fellow about please provide link to CI webpage that contravenes the data protection legislation?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I suspect that your Licence number, e.g. 101A2110, rather than your UCI code, e.g IRL19770908, would be more likely to appear on results.

For me, the real issue is that personal information is not protected by SSL. Having your date of birth on your card is one thing, since it is on other documents you'd carry around and it is up to you to protect it. But an unsecured login facility takes that protection out of your hands.

it all proves the systems works:D

jezz it aint as if some of these data sensitive people need to be concerned about their uci code reaching Ras result pages or anything :rolleyes:

can the sensitive fellow about please provide link to CI webpage that contravenes the data protection legislation?

From my first post in this thread:
    For one thing, the login facility on their home page is not SSL protected/encrypted so your username and password are not protected in transit if you use that route to login.

...so the site's home page is the link that you are looking for.

But also (from the same post):
    ...when you change your password they e-mail you the new password so potentially expose your credentials to a wider audience that way too

So in the former case they don't protect your username and password when you are logging in, despite the fact that they currently can (I linked to the SSL-protected login page earlier, but of course you won't bother with using that one, will you as presumably you think it is overkill). In the latter case they go one step further and actually expose your password by sending it in cleartext in an e-mail.

You obviously choose not to be concerned about their casual attitude to your personal details. Fair enough, you are entitled to place as much or as little value on your personal identification details as you like. However, for something like your date of birth you'll find that some organisations, such as banks for telephone banking/contact, place a lot of value on that information and will happily accept someone else with such info as being you, which kind of puts a wrinkle in your complacency. You could, of course, ask your bank to not treat the likes of your date of birth with such importance given that at least some of it is not exactly treated with such importance by Cycling Ireland, but good luck with that.

Why is it necessary to have your name, address and date of birth on The licence card? I would genuinely like to know because if all that information isn't necessary then the unnecessary info should be removed because all that data together is very useful to someone and how easy would it be to lose your licence card at a race when you are faffing about?

ktz84 wrote: »
    Why is it necessary to have your name, address and date of birth on The licence card? I would genuinely like to know because if all that information isn't necessary then the unnecessary info should be removed because all that data together is very useful to someone and how easy would it be to lose your licence card at a race when you are faffing about?

I'm at at loss to understand why you think your name shouldn't be on your licence !!!

The reason for the licence is so that the Commisaire/Sign on organiser can tell who you are, where you are from, how old you are and in what category you are registered to race in. Also if the licence is lost and found can easily be posted back to you.

I'm at at loss to understand why you think your name shouldn't be on your licence !!!

The reason for the licence is so that the Commisaire/Sign on organiser can tell who you are, where you are from, how old you are and in what category you are registered to race in. Also if the licence is lost and found can easily be posted back to you.

Where did I say that?

Name & Province or County should enough information for anyone. When you put such information together in one card which people carry around then it is a security risk. There can be no arguing with that. When that information isn't necessary then it is just irresponsible.

The idea of them posting it back isn't really the point as it assumes that it is found in the first place.

• Advertisement

all these people are buggered so:

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/welcome.html

whats SSL? this is a cycling forum!!

Where did I say that?

Here ...

Yes, I was defining the parameters of the argument. When taken collectively the information is very sensitive therefore had to specify what that sensitive information was. In the same section you quoted I said this:
    because if all that information isn't necessary then the unnecessary info should be removed

Implicit in that was a recognition that some of that information was necessary.

I'm glad to clarify.

So why is my full address necessary? I haven't seen anything here to justify the use of our date of birth either. To me what other organisations do with our personal information is not relevant as there is an assumption in that what they do is either necessary or correct. That's a poor assumption.

Look at any guidelines published regarding how to secure you personal information and you will see that the less you reveal of yourself the better. It isn't about the fact that dob is of itself any great revelation it is about how useful it can be when combined with other information obtained from other sources. That is why peronally identifable information should always be kept to an absolute minimum if it must be used at all.

Whether it concerns you or not is very much a decision for you but at least don't fool yourself that one little bit of information isn't that important. It is all important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

Marriage cert as well :eek:

This just gets worse and worse.

The school asked for my kids DOB as well.........

Would you bring these documents to a race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

whats SSL? this is a cycling forum!!

The topic is the cycling ireland website?

• Advertisement

So why is my full address necessary? I haven't seen anything here to justify the use of our date of birth either. To me what other organisations do with our personal information is not relevant as there is an assumption in that what they do is either necessary or correct. That's a poor assumption.

Your address and DOB after necessary as the licence is in effect an identity card. You submit to the anti-doping code when taking out a licence and part of that involved allowing your personal information being potentially even to the anti-doping authorities.
    When they call you they require proof of ID and of your registered address.
    That's one reason why.
    Also I've been in a position to inspect licences from riders from all over the world and every federation issues the licence in the same format.
    Your drivers licence carries all this information and more and you are required to carry it when driving, do you have the same issues with it?

Your address and DOB after necessary as the licence is in effect an identity card. You submit to the anti-doping code when taking out a licence and part of that involved allowing your personal information being potentially even to the anti-doping authorities.
    When they call you they require proof of ID and of your registered address.
    That's one reason why.
    Also I've been in a position to inspect licences from riders from all over the world and every federation issues the licence in the same format.
    Your drivers licence carries all this information and more and you are required to carry it when driving, do you have the same issues with it?

I'm happy for my data to be shared with the anti-doping agency so they presumably have my registered name, address & dob therefore having my card with my name and licence number should be enough to confirm my identity. How does the address or dob actually help that process? IOW how do you prove a known?

I'm happy for my data to be shared with the anti-doping agency so they presumably have my registered name, address & dob therefore having my card with my name and licence number should be enough to confirm my identity. How does the address or dob actually help that process? IOW how do you prove a known?

It's deemed necessary by WADA and its predecessors that you carry proof of identity. I presume they consider a name an number inadequate.
    This is due to repeated attempted impersonation during anti-doping inspections in the past.

Also the licence is an identity document so needs to have enough information on it to identify to on a stand alone basis. Riders who intend to ride abroad or at international level also have a photo on the licence. Indeed until recently all CI licences had your photo on it.

Again all this information and more is on your drivers licence so are you up in arms about this as well??

FWIW in my profession I have to use a registration number on all correspondence. Using that number anyone can access my name , address, qualifications, universities attended and my age.

It's deemed necessary by WADA and its predecessors that you carry proof of identity. I presume they consider a name an number inadequate.
    This is due to repeated attempted impersonation during anti-doping inspections in the past.

Ok so the reason for having it is because WADA have decreed that it has to be so. I still fail to see how having my address and my dob on my card that I give to a WADA represntative who has all that information anyway confirms my identity any better than my name and licence number however if it a requirement of WADA then there is fat chance of getting it changed.

At least now I have an understanding of why it exists on the card even if I don't think it is actually necessary.

I actually have a leisure licence so I'm not subject to anti-doping rules so it is unnecessary on my card then :D

Ok so the reason for having it is because WADA have decreed that it has to be so. I still fail to see how having my address and my dob on my card that I give to a WADA represntative who has all that information anyway confirms my identity any better than my name and licence number however if it a requirement of WADA then there is fat chance of getting it changed.

At least now I have an understanding of why it exists on the card even if I don't think it is actually necessary.

I actually have a leisure licence so I'm not subject to anti-doping rules so it is unnecessary on my card then:D

It's one of the reasons. Also riders have competed under false identities in races for various reasons (Google Sean Kelly, Olympics, Richard Bruton, Elizabeth Taylor and Daily Mail ;)).
    As age has many implications regarding cycling having your DOB on the licence makes things a lot more straightforward for organisers. The leisure licence has a lot of this info really as trickle down effect from racing.
    That said it also has confirmation of 3rd party liability insurance on it so in case of an accident in a CI event it's proof of insurance cover.

<snip>

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

ban_hammer.jpg

Bobcyclesfast: One week ban. Do that again and it'll be longer.

RobFowl wrote:
    As age has many implications regarding cycling having your DOB on the licence makes things a lot more straightforward for organisers.

The thing is though, this isn't designated on the license as your date of birth it is shown there as a "code". As such it appears not to be just one more bit of information about you, it appears to be something that can be used as a reference for you which means that it may well be recorded when you register for races, etc., and that is what I see as the issue. There should be no reason for personal information to be recorded about you other than your name, possibly your address, and your license number - these should be more than adequate to uniquely identify you (add country code to uniquely identify you internationally). Race organisers may well ask you for your date of birth when registering for an event (though I don't know why this would be necessary as your race category is already shown on your license and while I'm open to correction on this I think your age is only used to help determine your race category in the first place) but at that point it is your choice to provide it if you are happy to do so.

If this information were labelled on your license as "date of birth" then I think that race organisers, cycling bodies, etc., would probably be more careful with how, or even whether, they recorded it at events, and rightly so. Labelling it as a "UCI code" effectively renders it more of an abstract piece of information and people are likely to see recording it as innocuous as recording a license number, whereas it certainly isn't.

As one example of where this code is casually treated as a piece of information with no real value (to the rider), the UCI operate the True Champion or Cheat? website (more info here) where (non SSL-protected) login requires that you submit your UCI code in addition to e-mail address. Pushing the significant issue of no SSL protection to one side, and that really is a major and irresponsible screw-up by the UCI, they require that you supply sensitive personal information to simply login to a site. If they were to specifically ask you for your date of birth as part of the login, then people might question why they need to do so, but asking for your "UCI code" has the effect of distracting from the fact that this information is so sensitive.

The thing is though, this isn't designated on the license as your date of birth it is shown there as a "code". As such it appears not to be just one more bit of information about you, it appears to be something that can be used as a reference for you which means that it may well be recorded when you register for races, etc.

It isn't though. If you have a full competition licence you usually just sign on with your race number, name and club. The race number is neither your UCI code nor your full licence number, and can only be dereferenced by Cycling Ireland who have the list of race numbers against licence numbers.

I don't see the issue with the card carrying your name and address. If you're driving to a race (most people do) you'll have to carry a drivers licence with that information on it anyway. Regardless, having the information on your card allows the Gardai to contact your next of kin in the event of an accident.

Regardless, having the information on your card allows the Gardai to contact your next of kin in the event of an accident.

That's the reason why I always have my CI card in my pocket when I go for a spin. Makes it easy to identify me if I get hit by a truck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement