Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Catch wrestling and sambo

• 24-08-2010 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭

Why do u think these styles never really took off the way BJJ and Freestyle did?

When Fedor was destroying all in his path you never really heard all that much or witnessed a big growth in Sambo

Or when Sak was ripping through the gracies, catch didn't really take off.

Is there many people here with much experience of either. Have the catch and sambo people competed much in the submission wrestling tournaments? If so how did they fair?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Why do u think these styles never really took off the way BJJ and Freestyle did?

When Fedor was destroying all in his path you never really heard all that much or witnessed a big growth in Sambo

Is there many people here with much experience of either. Have the catch and sambo people competed much in the submission wrestling tournaments? If so how did they fair?

Because the BJJ was made famous off the back of the UFC and got a lot of attention through martial arts in the western world, Catch etc where already respected in Asia so it was nothing new really, Grappling in the western world was not popular at all bar Wrestling and Judo really so people thought it was all new and unique, same would have happened with catch wrestling if someone had blazed through the early UFC's using it.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

How many catch wrestling or sambo clubs are near you?

Generally BJJ was more accessible, and so became more popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

I agree , BJJ is more accessible due to it being made famous in the WEST in the early 90s.

Sambo was still very much a Behind the Iron Curtain EASTERN sport, and very little was known about it and practictioners did not move to the west in the same way BJJ came to the states for example.

Personally I would love to give sambo a try if there was any where near me that did it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

Yeah but I mean at one point there was no BJJ here either.

I suppose I'm wondering is BJJ and wrestling really that much better than catch and sambo?

Or is it just that it is practised more?

No disrespect to any of them intended

Yeah but I mean at one point there was no BJJ here either.

I suppose I'm wondering is BJJ and wrestling really that much better than catch and sambo?

Or is it just that it is practised more?

No disrespect to any of them intended

i personally rate them all as very similar and think if there all trained properly, they are evens as far as whats better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

For every high level sambo/catch guy in MMA or submission wrestling there is 100 BJJ guys.

BJJ seems to be fairly well intertwined with the Rio middle class and their tournaments were always very well funded and run properly, thus this attitude has allowed them to spread the sport and make their world championships very professional and more and more international.

Catch to the best of my knowledge never had much structure and certainly doesn't have major competitions run at a high level.

Sambo is better managed and in Russia the competitions are top notch (afaik) but I've always felt the Worlds were very amateur.

thirdly and most importantly, I think there is more to BJJ than catch and sambo, it's more refined and better explored. It's modification for NHB is more mature also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 calvo89

try judo man, its basically sambo, without strikes..
    fedor was a judo player before he took up sambo..
    its a great base, gsp uses judo, gegard mousassi also, he will be the next world champ, but dont count on hearing alot about him, he is not american so smoke wont be blown up his ass by the ufc publicity machine..
    hes armenian ang gonna be the next big thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

calvo89 wrote: »
    fedor was a judo player before he took up sambo..
    its a great base, gsp uses judo, gegard mousassi also, he will be the next world champ, but dont count on hearing alot about him, he is not american so smoke wont be blown up his ass by the ufc publicity machine..
    hes armenian ang gonna be the next big thing

Next big thing?:confused:

Mousassi IS big, he's already been Dream and Strikeforce champion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

calvo89 wrote: »

Not really.

Not really.

Must be all the leg locks that make it like judo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

cowzerp wrote: »
    Must be all the leg locks that make it like judo!!
    Im pretty sure all chokes are disallowed in sambo too. Or maybe the head guards just make it too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Im pretty sure all chokes are disallowed in sambo too. Or maybe the head guards just make it too hard

Chokes are allowed in Combat Sambo (quite similar to MMA) and Freestyle Sambo (basically subwrestling). They are dissallowed in Sport Sambo though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

As far as I know a lot of catch wrestlers became involved in Pro Wrestling. Karl Gotch apparently taught Catch to Japanese Pro Wrestlers. This isn't really surprising as one of the believed origins of catch wrestling is as shows at carnivals, though it probably goes back much further.

The original question in this thread can also be applied to Luta Livre. This is much closer to BJJ than Catch and Sambo, as it also developed in Brazil with Judo (and wrestling) influence. So why don't we see more of it? I know there's an International Luta Livre Organisation (www.lutalivre.net), but I think you guys will know a lot more than I do - do many Luta Livre people compete at MMA or Submission Wrestling events?

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OLDMAN1

Chokes are allowed in Combat Sambo (quite similar to MMA) and Freestyle Sambo (basically subwrestling). They are dissallowed in Sport Sambo though.
    also different rules mean a different type of fighting and dont forget you can head butt,kick,knee,elbow and punch to the balls standing and on the ground, all types of leglocks are aloud aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

If fedor would have been at UFC 1 we would probably all be wearing red jackets Buck rogers stylie

But on a point have many judokas, catch wrestlers or samboists competed at say ADCC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Yes some, Josh Barnett (catch). I'm not sure on the Judo front, maybe some of the Japanese guys.

Advertisement