Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antenatal Classes

Options
  • 24-08-2010 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope mods don't mind me posting this in the main parenting forum as I wanted to get as many opinions as possible!

I am currently 26 weeks pregnant and starting to research antenatal classes. What I would like to know is did parents here find a one day course or a series of classes more beneficial? I can avail of a free course of classes in Holles St. but it isn't very practical for my partner to travel up from work in Wexford for just an hours class once a week and ideally we would like to attend together!

As a result I'm thinking about a one day all in course instead, maybe more practical? - has anyone any experience/recommendations of a particular class? Or did they find it all just too intense and overwhelming? There are so many to choose from and we really don't know where to start looking! I do want one run by a midwife though (if that is what we go for) as then I can get some of the cost back through VHI.

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

We did this one last year in Clontarf Castle (think they do it on Southside somewhere too) We thought it was great and it covered everything. And it suited us both much more as we wanted to flake in the evenings while we still could and not have to go to the hosptial a good few weeks running. Good luck :)

http://www.2as1.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

The benefit of doing the antenatal course run by the hospital is that you get a good idea of the procedures and norms in that particular hospital. If you attend an independently run course, they may not know about practical things like admittance procedures, what you need to bring to the hospital in your baby bag (some places require you to bring blankets), facilities available, or be able to bring you on a tour of the labour ward. These things are very useful to know and can help make the birth a less stressful experience.

Many hospitals offer a one-day course as well as the weekly classes - maybe ask Holles Street if they do this as an alternative. Otherwise, ask if you can just attend the
    class where they go through these things and arrange the actual birth preparation classes elsewhere. Keep in mind that your partner is also entitled to paid time off work to attend two antenatal classes.

A friend of mine did a one-day workshop in Dublin with Doreen Buckley (http://www.antenatal-classes.ie) who is sort of a celebrity midwife and found her to be excellent.

Cuidiú (the Irish Childbirth Trust) also run antenatal classes with trained midwives:
    http://www.cuidiu-ict.ie/fulcrum.html?ep=9

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Chuchu

I have heard of instances (esp in the past year) where pepole did not get to see the Labour Ward as it was just too busy! The lady who did the course we went to (also a well known mid-wife) had up to date info re. procedures in all the hospitals, at least those in Dublin. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Chuchu wrote: »
    I have heard of instances (esp in the past year) where pepole did not get to see the Labour Ward as it was just too busy!

That definitely does happen. The day we went up to see the wards it was crazy busy. We were standing around waiting and all these pregnant women in labour were waddling up and down the corridors groaning and swearing. We had to go back the following week. It did sort of help though, at least I knew that whatever noises I'd end up making during the birth, the staff had heard it all before!

Advertisement