Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The megapixel race ain't over just yet...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

wow!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sensors are outpacing lenses at this stage. it'll sell cameras, but be of very little utility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

speaking as someone who has no interest in these things - why would they bother - i mean - what use would it have? if you want to print a billboard in one single print or something?:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

because when their competitors are selling 100MP cameras, they'll need some way to claim their camera is better, and megapixels are the easiest way of claiming superiority to someone who is not well versed in cameras.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

1Ds MkIV coming soon I guess. FF, 9fps, 120mp. :D

So, how many here will be buying? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

photos taken on this sensor will be TEN TIMES as good as ones taken on a 12MP sensor. sounds like a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

photos taken on this sensor will be TEN TIMES as good as ones taken on a 12MP sensor. sounds like a no-brainer.

I wouldn't say ten time as good, just ten times the size. :D Ok, probably not that large, but will be a very large raw file, for sure. Bring on the 64gb CF cards. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

sensors are outpacing lenses at this stage. it'll sell cameras, but be of very little utility.

Just what I was thinking, what's the point of images this size (even forgetting for a second that nobody needs 120MP pictures), because it will just highlight the weaknesses of your lenses.

well, the files would be 360MB uncompressed, or 720MB if 16bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Not to mention at the scale in which most pictures are printed (Most done up to about A2/A1) It wont make much of a difference in picture quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Theoretically, you could crop significantly into a 120MP image while still retaining a relatively high level of image quality. So, there's at least one use I guess.

I can crop fairly heavily into my 5DmkII's files as it is and still get a decent enough image out of it. I'd imagine this sensor would be about 5 times better for that.

Anyways, I'd say it'll be years before we see this an actual commercial product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

better start saving now I guess ... should have enough by Christmas 2100 ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

It'll be kind of sad if this finds its way into a DSLR. They can stick it in a compact or a bridge and that would be fine. After all those two markets, particuarly the compact segment are really the ones caught up in the MP race.

I would hope that the average user who buys a DSLR is aware that the number of MP is not the be all and end all and that there is more to a great camera/picture than just the number of pixels. I would also hope that Canon would be responsible enough to not let the DSLR/enthusiast market go the same way with the growing increase in the market.

They managed it just fine with the G11, down to 10MP as opposed to the 14.7MP of the G10.

Agreed. I have contacts on Flickr who shoot stunning images with D40's and humble kit lenses, 5mp olympus compacts etc ... On the other hand I also have some who use FX cameras and I find a lot of their images dull and lifeless.

MP count means nothing to me, or I'd have waited for more funds to buy a Canon 550D - Loving my old D200 :) 10mp is where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I'd wonder if the megapixel race is over when we (consumers) say it is; if they've spent a bazillion developing this sensor and only sell a handful to the extreme spelunking crowd will they realise there's no point continuing to stuff pixels on sensors and concentrate on more importaint developments? (like dslrs in pretty colours or that taste like snozeberries)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Nisio wrote: »
    I'd wonder if the megapixel race is over when we (consumers) say it is; if they've spent a bazillion developing this sensor and only sell a handful to the extreme spelunking crowd will they realise there's no point continuing to stuff pixels on sensors and concentrate on more importaint developments? (like dslrs in pretty colours or that taste like snozeberries)

There's a few places I've come across that are of the opinion that the next 'race' will be high ISO rather than megapixels (that or they start adding weird stuff like hdr into the camera)

I think it's a bit like the Bugatti veyron. It'll cost more to produce than they'll sell for. Just to prove it can be done.

I think improving ISO performace would probably be a worthwile arms race to have, I wonder what the trade off for that is though? It'd be great to have ISO 100 like quality in all lights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Nisio wrote: »
    I think improving ISO performace would probably be a worthwile arms race to have, I wonder what the trade off for that is though? It'd be great to have ISO 100 like quality in all lights!

Kind of leads you to wonder that maybe in years down the line high ISO will be such good quality that it won't matter what ISO you use, which in turn would mean that people wouldn't need to have really fast lenses to be able to capture a picture, no matter how dull/dark the lighting. They'd buy them only for shallow dof and bokeh reasons. I think that would take a bit of the fun and skill out of it though in a way!

• Advertisement

Kind of leads you to wonder that maybe in years down the line high ISO will be such good quality that it won't matter what ISO you use, which in turn would mean that people wouldn't need to have really fast lenses to be able to capture a picture, no matter how dull/dark the lighting. They'd buy them only for shallow dof and bokeh reasons. I think that would take a bit of the fun and skill out of it though in a way!

Really fast lenses are really expensive! something that lets you do what they do with a cheaper lens has to be good right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i'd rather they put the effort into a more affordable FF SLR i.e make the 60D full frame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

What rubbish.

120 MP in the Ids MK IV ?

nonsense, it will be 35 MP MAX !

anyway, when is this BEAST due out ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

standard pc's and laptops would take an age to process a pic, imagine a content aware fill :P

Advertisement