Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of door security do I have?

• 24-08-2010 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Afternoon all,

I rang my insurance company this morning to ask if there was a problem with me changing the barrels in the locks of my doors so that the one key could open all doors in my house but of course they didn't know what I was talking about and in the end they started questioning the existing locks & security I have fitted to my doors, I tried describing it but that just made things a whole lot worse! ( I don't know much about door locks past the fact that I can change the barrels myself)

So, my question is this... Can anyone tell me what the proper description of my door locks are?

I've attached two pictures, one of my front door (also the same as the back door) and one of my patio door showing the locks in the "locked" position.

Not visible on the front door picture are two pins, one on top and one on the bottom of the door that move into the locked position when the door handle is lifted up.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Moved to DIY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MeYou

Anyone have any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jennypatel

There are various companies which are providing the best locks for your front door. Go with the Chubb locks, these locks are durable and provides the best security against the intruders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

your front door has a three point lock - 2 cams, 1 dead lock. your patio door has a single hook dead lock.

you should consider getting a rim latch lock on the front door (like you would have seen on all old wooden doors. your patio lock is useless as it can be just yanked open. you need to fit two patio door locks on the inside. one top, one bottom of door.

if you're in or around dublin i could fit them if you don't know how.

hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭wasim21k

he is in Portlaoise i think ;) i have same lock and patio come with two locks as well, and lock is fitted with the to stop some one lifting door while is locked, ( all i mean is locked position on patio door is from bottom not from top) and i dont know what other lcok called but its type of push and lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 MeYou

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies, and sorry for my delay in replying, was giving the 'puter a break for a few days.

kitser, thanks for the offer to fit locks but I can take care of fitting them myself, for now I really just wanted to determine what kind of locks I had before taking things any further.
    your front door has a three point lock - 2 cams, 1 dead lock. your patio door has a single hook dead lock.

Am I correct in saying that these are both mortise type locks seeing as they both lock into the door frames as opposed to being attached to the back of the door frame?

I'm insured by 123.ie, and all I'm concerned about right now is making sure I comply with these conditions:
    1. the Home is fitted with the following security devices:
    (i) All external doors are fitted with mortice deadlocks or deadlocking rim latches.
    (ii) All French doors and/or patio doors are fitted with appropriate security locks.

While the T&C's are very specific about the front door they are (in my opinion) very vague about the sliding patio door.

The only reason I called the insurance company was to inquire about the insurance implications of having all the external locks in the house, and a new side gate, opened by the same key.

Advertisement