Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stiches removed

Options
  • 24-08-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,877 ✭✭✭

Just wondering should a GP charge you the normal visiting rate of 50-60 euro for a 2 minute job that a nurse can do to remove 3 stitches. I have to get this done next week and was wondering if people with similar experiences were charged for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Last time I needed a few stitches removed, by GP did it for €20. Only took a few mins, but he did check it again and put some cream on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

billyhead wrote: »
    Just wondering should a GP charge you the normal visiting rate of 50-60 euro for a 2 minute job that a nurse can do to remove 3 stitches. I have to get this done next week and was wondering if people with similar experiences were charged for it?
    you could always do the job yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Its the same for me as what paulw had if i ring my Gp for something specific rather than general consultation i usually get charged a nominal fee

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I was told to go to the nurse for it and I'm sure I would have been charged the standard €30 fee for it.

However, after checking carefully to make sure it looked good, no signs of infection etc, I just took the 20 seconds to snip them myself with an approriate, sterilised scissors and saved myself the €30.

I figured I do it for the animals so why not for myself? The vet has no problem with me doing it and I trust him more than I do my doctor :pac:

Of course this would be difficult if it's somewhere you can't get at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not offer medical advice on Boards.

OP, if you were told to go to a GP, then you should go.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement