Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley does it again.

Options
  • 24-08-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone see the indo today, Gormley does it again. I know of lot of people who use commercial 4x4s and vans for shooting and hunting as well as work. Is there no end to the amount of misery this guy is willing to bring on. Especially in a recession. God I really hate him and his insistence on using his office to further his own personal policies and whims.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I no its an absolute joke, what about all the chippys and other trades men who need a van for work and also use it as there car??? The builder who has a crewcab and might give the wife a lift to work or run around in it on the weekends??? rediculas policies which will do him no favours come election time when hopefully the people of this country will chuck em out of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭kieran1141

just got a phone call to tell me mr gormley was on the radio this morning asking the garda to stop any jeep that is being used for private use under commercial insurance and tax, he's tired of the country being ripped off, well i have a trade and bought my jeep 6 years ago for work but out of work now so am i not to drive, instead of 288 euro around a 1000 on tax and iam broke, mabey iam posting this on the wrong thread but i use the jeep for hunting and fishing and dogs, he said he's sick of these loop holes, mabey someone can tell me what was said. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Merging threads. This is only very periheperally related to shooting though lads - would Politics or the Motoring 4x4 forum be better for it with more information and such?

related none the less id say:D

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

Sparks wrote: »
    Merging threads. This is only very periheperally related to shooting though lads - would Politics or the Motoring 4x4 forum be better for it with more information and such?

Shooting would be the primary social use of my one so.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Got fed up of commerical van style 4x4 ,and got a passenger 4wd,and a tax bill of 1500 euros from that little green creep for the privilige of driving it on our crappy roads.However my sympathies are 1000% with those who have commercial 4X4s.
    If this doesnt get us out to protest and show our displeasure at this bunch of Green fascists ..Nothing will!:mad:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

hk wrote: »
    Shooting would be the primary social use of my one so.....
    Grand so. No reason people can't read both places I guess :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Gormley can f*ck off. Beyond a joke now. Is there anything we can do, is rise gettin behind this or anythin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I can't believe this!

Gormess is really getting on my wick here. Really...........

Bad enough for folk who can't sell their vechicles as the arse has fallen out of the commercial market.

The guy who farms part time/Hunts or has another job.

technically now if you want to use a commercial vehicle for hunting you are have to pay up to €1800 extra or face prosecution under Gormless ruling

I've taken this up to the teeth.
    Against Hunting, against country life. Not everybody want to drive a Prius an Sabotage Hunts
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

So if I or my father drives to the shop, or anywhere in a 4x4 or Commercial Vehicle we have to pay Good luck on that Gormless!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

you can always just bite the bullet and pay private tax on it,private insurance is usually cheaper (well cheaper in my case)and you only need a nct every two years for me it cost 200 euro a year extra to keep the windows and seats if you do all the comparison sums the trouble with that is all those crewcab commercials came into the country at 50 euro to vrt them
    what happens now if you want to tax them privately do you have to pay the outstanding vrt on the vehicle :eek: pass the vaseline please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Seriously folks, I don't see the point of getting all upset about this. The man has a political death wish and is digging like fury in that hole he's in. :)

Can we not just sit back and watch the ensuing motorway pileup that the Greens are now?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭mrbrianj

There was something in the motoring section of the Irish times (iirc) a few weeks ago, about the greens and their push for electric cars.

It was saying that amount of vrt rebate on an electric car was based on the car being bought by people with an average household income of 150K per year

Considering the condition of the economy, it shows that Green TDs are in lala land.

If John Gormley can kill jeeps and small vans, stop one-off housing and put and end to field sports - he might get a few votes in his local constituency as none of these issues really effect that area too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buzzymam

This new farcical and unenforceable law is effectively turning the under staffed as it is Gardai into fecking revenue collectors!

No time for crime fighting/prevention....to busy pen pushing fines for gormless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

I thought it wasn the tip of the wedge for us? The only people who wont mind this are soccer moms in there big x5s and audi 4x4's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

rrpc wrote: »
    Seriously folks, I don't see the point of getting all upset about this. The man has a political death wish and is digging like fury in that hole he's in. :)

Can we not just sit back and watch the ensuing motorway pileup that the Greens are now?

The problem lies in if he's allowed enforce this, it'll stick. I doubt any future Government would reverse it as it generates revenue.

landkeeper wrote: »
    you can always just bite the bullet and pay private tax on it,private insurance is usually cheaper (well cheaper in my case)and you only need a nct every two years for me it cost 200 euro a year extra to keep the windows and seats if you do all the comparison sums the trouble with that is all those crewcab commercials came into the country at 50 euro to vrt them
    what happens now if you want to tax them privately do you have to pay the outstanding vrt on the vehicle :eek: pass the vaseline please

Point of FACT, Crew Cabs from 2003 onwards paid 13.3% VRT off WHAT ROS.ie said it was worth So a 2007 Hilux you are looking at €3000 VRT that they got off you or more .

That's a fact

Road tax on a 3L is €1800 Vs €270

Thats waaaaay more than €200 a year !

Try €1500 extra TAX per year!

Eamon Ryan on George Hook (newstalk) NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

well full vrt is 30% so there is a problem there anyway i bet they look for revrting it if its going to be classed privately so another 17% lad
    i did state my case tack the discovery is 938 a year as opposed to 288 afaikr

landkeeper wrote: »
    well full vrt is 30% so there is a problem there anyway i bet they look for revrting it if its going to be classed privately so another 17% lad
    i did state my case tack the discovery is 938 a year as opposed to 288 afaikr

Well a 3L jeep is €1293 a year as opposed to €288(Landcruiser,Hilux,L200 Trooper etc)

Thats €1005 a year!
    Commercials are almost worthless at the moment as every business is on it's

This is Disgusting to say the least!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Let alone that chargeing people for vrt is illegal under some eu law..

Im hoping the guards will turn a blind eye to this. And will die out like the provisional licenses..

Does lamping constitute as work seeing as you are technically working for the farmer.??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

There are no changes to Motor Tax being brought in.

The Indo article is a work of fiction and I expect them to be publishing a retraction/apology tomorrow.

taconnol wrote: »

The Indo article is a work of fiction and I expect them to be publishing a retraction/apology tomorrow.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0824/greens_motor_tax.html

You explain this to me then So?

Ryan Seems to think I can't use my 4x4 to go to the shop or use it for hunting without paying "SOCIAL DOMESTIC & PLEASURABLE TAX"

I am very enraged.

When I calm down I will write a letter, not until then :mad:

true these laws have always been in place but never inforced. the gards have always turned a blind eye as it is county councils job to police it, which is happening now as people are being asked to give vat numbers ect when taxing commercials

johngalway wrote: »
    The problem lies in if he's allowed enforce this, it'll stick. I doubt any future Government would reverse it as it generates revenue.
    Firstly it would cause mayhem in the motor industry as an already depressed market would depress further as the bottom fell out of the commercial 4x4 market.

Secondly, the building industry (already on what's left of its knees) would be up in arms at what could be described as the final coup de grace to subbies and small builders.

Thirdly, the market would shift away from the 4x4s to small vans and car derived vans which would end up netting the Government nothing.

In other words it's yet another ideologically driven proposal from a party that's caused mayhem already this year with another idelogically driven crusade and which their partners in government could hardly view as anything but suicidal.

Anything's possible, but I just don't see FF going for it.

taconnol wrote: »

So people will not be forced to sign a declaration at a Garda station saying they only use that particular vehicle for work purposes, is that what you're saying?

rrpc wrote: »
    Firstly it would cause mayhem in the motor industry as an already depressed market would depress further as the bottom fell out of the commercial 4x4 market.

Secondly, the building industry (already on what's left of its knees) would be up in arms at what could be described as the final coup de grace to subbies and small builders.

Thirdly, the market would shift away from the 4x4s to small vans and car derived vans which would end up netting the Government nothing.

In other words it's yet another ideologically driven proposal from a party that's caused mayhem already this year with another idelogically driven crusade and which their partners in government could hardly view as anything but suicidal.

Anything's possible, but I just don't see FF going for it.

In a normal state of affairs no, I would agree with you. Problem is FF have a tiny little problem of most of the country currently despising them and the only thing - apart from something completely unexpected - keeping them from being fed to the hounds at an Election is the Green Party. The tail is definitely wagging the dog here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

So people will not be forced to sign a declaration at a Garda station saying they only use that particular vehicle for work purposes, is that what you're saying?

http://www.independent.ie/national-n...x-2309056.html

A Vat Registration number would have to be filled in on the form

THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE, I filled out one of those forms first 6 years ago. Now they want a VAT number too!

In a normal state of affairs no, I would agree with you. Problem is FF have a tiny little problem of most of the country currently despising them and the only thing - apart from something completely unexpected - keeping them from being fed to the hounds at an Election is the Green Party. The tail is definitely wagging the dog here.
    If you mean by that, that they see the Greens as providing a buffer between them and the electorate then they really are stupid. Nobody's fooled by such smoke and mirrors, they stand and fall together.

Is it proposed that you sign a declaration in a Garda Station to the effect that the vehicle be only used for business? I can see the Gardai being real excited about that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

elius wrote: »

I know, I've been loosely following it today on the radio ;)

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect people I know.

Advertisement