Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gormley does it again.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    If you mean by that, that they see the Greens as providing a buffer between them and the electorate then they really are stupid. Nobody's fooled by such smoke and mirrors, they stand and fall together.

Is it proposed that you sign a declaration in a Garda Station to the effect that the vehicle be only used for business? I can see the Gardai being real excited about that :rolleyes:

RRPC, you will be required to put a VAT reg number on it, so any farmers sons out there do not have one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

johngalway wrote: »
    So people will not be forced to sign a declaration at a Garda station saying they only use that particular vehicle for work purposes, is that what you're saying?
    People already have to declare, through the RF111A form, that their vehicle is only for goods.

So yes that's exactly what I'm saying.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0824/greens_motor_tax.html

You explain this to me then So?

Ryan Seems to think I can't use my 4x4 to go to the shop or use it for hunting without paying "SOCIAL DOMESTIC & PLEASURABLE TAX"
    What is there to explain? Ryan says himself "there is nothing new, there is no change, no additional tax from the Green Party or anyone else".

But what you call "social, domestic & pleasure tax" is the standard rate of motor tax that private vehicle owners pay.

Shame on the media for these fabrications. The Indo article is a complete lie. I emailed Conor Faughnan this morning about his interview on Morning Ireland and he replied that he too was misled by the media reports and has since made this clear in radio interviews. You can see from the AA website:
    Newspaper stories this morning (24th August) implied that motor tax rules for commercial vehicles would be changed and that drivers of commercial vehicles would face ‘fines or even imprisonment’ if they used their vehicles for non-commercial, domestic or pleasure purposes. This presented the prospect that a plumber or carpenter could be fined for driving his van to mass on a Sunday, a prospect that the AA denounced as unfair and unenforceable.

The AA has received clarification from the Department of the Environment subsequently which makes it clear that there is no change to existing regulations.

The only thing that is new is that when first taxing a vehicle as a commercial vehicle you must provide a Revenue Registration Number and may be asked for support documentation. Nothing else has changed.
    The full text of the Department of the Environment’s clarification to the AA is given below:

http://blog.aaireland.ie/?p=347

So if you've already registered and taxed your commercial vehicle, this has ZERO impact on you. And if you are taxing a commercial vehicle for the first time, you have to include the Revenue Registration Number. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I no its an absolute joke, what about all the chippys and other trades men who need a van for work and also use it as there car??? The builder who has a crewcab and might give the wife a lift to work or run around in it on the weekends??? rediculas policies which will do him no favours come election time when hopefully the people of this country will chuck em out of power.

Next election they ill dissapear like the moronic PD's:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If you mean by that, that they see the Greens as providing a buffer between them and the electorate then they really are stupid. Nobody's fooled by such smoke and mirrors, they stand and fall together.

Is it proposed that you sign a declaration in a Garda Station to the effect that the vehicle be only used for business? I can see the Gardai being real excited about that :rolleyes:

Yeah, you have to go into the station and sign to that effect! Ignorance was never a defense but in this case it's not even an excuse now.

Too true about the cops, they'll get dogs abuse over it. In fairness to them, I've been in vehicles (not mine) which haven't had the proper bits on the window and they've always been more than fair.

What I mean about the Greens is they're more a movement as opposed to FF being a power hungry political machine. FF's aim is to stay in power, end of. Greens know this, and I believe they're not in the same league as FF when it comes to power craving. I still don't like them mind. So the Greens do have a certain amount of leverage over FF here. Yes, they will both get screwed at the next election IMO, yes both want to make it as far as the next scheduled election. But, FF want it more than the Greens need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

taconnol wrote: »
    There are no changes to Motor Tax being brought in.

The Indo article is a work of fiction and I expect them to be publishing a retraction/apology tomorrow.

I'll belive THAT when I see it!!;) Cant see the Indo just going willy nilly into publishing somthing totally unsubstantiated.

Anything's possible, but I just don't see FF going for it.
    Well,they went for crazier things,like the stag hunting bill!!
    Anything now that this corrupt shower of incompetants will do to squeeze the last cent out of us will be done to cover their decade of financial disaster.Honestly we should be all outside Gormless constituency office,pumping diesel smoke over his eco veggies to show how displeased we are.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

johngalway wrote: »
    I know, I've been loosely following it today on the radio ;)

It doesn't affect me, but it will affect people I know.

Sh1te wrong link :p:o
    http://www.donegalcoco.ie/NR/rdonlyres/03A0C311-E1A2-4747-85BC-7F559CF4EEB6/0/RF111AGoodsOnlyDeclaration.pdf

People already have to declare, through the RF111A form, that their vehicle is only for goods.

What is there to explain? Ryan says himself "there is nothing new, there is no change, no additional tax from the Green Party or anyone else".

But what you call "social, domestic & pleasure tax" is the standard rate of motor tax that private vehicle owners pay.

Shame on the media for these fabrications.

You have pointed out on another thread that one will have to Furnish a Vat Reg number now, this was never required before.

This is the sting in the tail!

Hmm, we'll see how it develops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

RRPC, you will be required to put a VAT reg number on it, so any farmers sons out there do not have one.
    I thought I saw mention of tax clearance certs and other evidence of a business being accepted.

It's still just eminently silly. I could have one because I run my own business but I use an estate car instead because I need the extra seats for the family etc. But I know plenty of lads who use these (including my own brother) so I can understand the pain if this were to be instituted.

Lemming like behaviour from the Greens, they really have no future here now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

You have pointed out on another thread that one will have to Furnish a Vat Reg number now, this was never required before.

This is the sting in the tail!
    What is the big deal?

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I'll belive THAT when I see it!!;) Cant see the Indo just going willy nilly into publishing somthing totally unsubstantiated.
    Are you serious? The Indo is an utter rag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Everyone needs to calm down a bit. When you get your tax renewal form in the post it is RF111B, not RF111A. The RF111B is form is renewed automatically at your tax office. I did so in person today. I was told that the new enforcement applies only to RF111A, which is for NEW commercial motor tax. So there is in fact nothing new. Just stricter enforcement of the rules as they relate to NEW applications

The Indo is an utter rag.

That's true, but on the flip side is trusting politicians.

Oh dear :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Compared to the......

The best of a bunch of utter and total rags you mean??:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I thought I saw mention of tax clearance certs and other evidence of a business being accepted.

It's still just eminently silly. I could have one because I run my own business but I use an estate car instead because I need the extra seats for the family etc. But I know plenty of lads who use these (including my own brother) so I can understand the pain if this were to be instituted.

Lemming like behaviour from the Greens, they really have no future here now.

All Farmers bough crew cabs when the Child seat laws came in.
    I use my 4x4 for everything, I'd be lost without it.

I work my 4x4. She is off road several times a week, pulls trailers, carries bales of hay, but also brings me to work, the shops and where ever I may travel.

Technically I would have to park my 4x4 up in the evening.

as myself and all my brothers work on the farm for free we do not have a VAT number.
    The gardai know we are farmers, as they often bought hay for their horses off us guess what, they had jeeps for their horse boxes too!

moonshadow wrote: »
    Compared to the......
    Nothing - they're all pretty awful but the Indo and SIndo are especially raggish.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Next election they ill dissapear like the moronic PD's:P
    Only to be replaced by the next small party (like the one Michael "I'm quitting politics" McDowell is supposed to be forming at the moment). FF have gotten used to the idea of a smaller, ablative party; and if they can hang in by their fingernails until the next election, they may well stay in power as a result of that idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bencherman

hk wrote: »
    Anyone see the indo today, Gormley does it again. I know of lot of people who use commercial 4x4s and vans for shooting and hunting as well as work. Is there no end to the amount of misery this guy is willing to bring on. Especially in a recession. God I really hate him and his insistence on using his office to further his own personal policies and whims.

Maybe we (commercial drivers) shud do like other strikes in this country and get together and do a drive slow day (like the taxi drivers have done ooops):)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭muckyprawn

I have just sent them an email complaining about the fact there is nothing on their website about this issue...they seem to be more concerned about the price of rugby tickets...scandalous, really feeling enraged about this whole scandal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

ive a jeep ,use it for everything
    how long left do we have to put up with that pri*k for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Anyone send an email or 3 yet?

endasmail wrote: »
    ive a jeep ,use it for everything
    how long left do we have to put up with that pri*k for?

As long as we,the Irish people,will sit on our collective asses,moan and groan to each other or ring "slime line" and bitch to Joe Duffy about the state of things,and not be one who wants to move.Well forever really..:(

Trolling and responses deleted. Read the signature folks:

If you see or have a problem with a post or pm please use the report button (it's this one : report.gif) and then let the moderators deal with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Unfortunatly there are members of our society that use commercial vehicles as a way of avoiding paying higher motor tax. This is unfair to those who do pay the full tax.

Evedryone should pay the same tax and if you use your vehicle for commercial purposes you should be allowed write off your taxes against your profit/loss as a legitamate bussiness expense.

Better still.Do away with this commerical/private nonsense,and set the tax of all cars,trucks,etc wether it is a mini or a Ferrari at 800euros PA.Like the UK did with an Irish twist on the money side,as per usual.
    Equality across the board.That goes for Gormleys electric cars as well.
    Of course in this nation of begrudgers,where we spend more time in figuring out how to get somone out of their big car or house,than how to get into one ourselves,and pay for it.Logical ideas will never be allowed to surface.:(

Well, so much for this story being fake or otherwise being retracted by the Indo...

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/anger-grows-over-crazy-ban-2310258.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I am all for this clamp-down. I would not be so certain that one tax across the board would work at all as it would distract away from lowering co2 emmissions.

Co2 emissions another Green the Earth is heating up fantasy!!
    Why dont you call it what it is ..dictatorial green social engineering???

Co2 emissions another Green the Earth is heating up fantasy!!

/facepalm

Sometimes Grizzly, you're your own worst enemy, you know that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

It's not though. Nobody is forcing anybody to drive a car that produces less CO2. They are just providing an incentive for peole that are changing their cars. Hence why a straight tax would not work.

Advertisement