Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

What was Mulan in the main street changed names a while back, but it was still the same owner.

It's changed names again, now the Oriental Garden, and as well as changing names, the owner is new, as are the staff, and the menu, and it's very much a change for the better.

The decor has had a fundamental makeover, the function room at the back has been completely changed, much lighter and nicer.

Chef used to be in Ashbourne, and refuses to use MSG, which is very noticable in the quality and consistency of the sauces,

Take away has also reopened, new menu, no preprepared items, or frozen items, all orders are prepared when ordered. Local delivery service is also available

All in all, so far, very good experience. Now has early bird and set menus available,

Steve

(Usual disclaimers apply)

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

La Bucca - Dunboyne. I've been to La bucca twice since it opened on in early dec and i have to say that its probably the best food Ive had in Ireland. Had the beef and asparagus on NYE (they called us back after the had a cencellation) and it was super.
    Great service and great food. I've no connection with the restaurant other than a very happy customer.

If you like Banoffi, get it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lisa79ie

Well, has anyone gone to El Toro Loco in Navan yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

I have to say copper and spice ludlow street navan is superb loving the tandoori prawns

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

Anyone been to Poseidon, the new Greek restaurant in Navan and care to post an opinion?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,982 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

balon wrote: »
    Anyone been to Poseidon, the new Greek restaurant in Navan and care to post an opinion?

Quite an unfortunate name for a restuarant, reading it quickly POISENED?

Was,nt that the name of a film were a ship sunk? Gene Hackman and Michael Caine starred!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

balon wrote: »
    Where is it?

I think its near henry loughran's pub navan

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Where is it?

10A Trimagte St. Skipped it the other night and went for Copper and Spices which was very good.
    Also interested in hearing about El Toro Loco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Vego wrote: »
    I have to say copper and spice ludlow street navan is superb loving the tandoori prawns

Yes, copper and spice is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 monkeynuts10

I've eaten in Venice in Dunshaughlin numerous times and love it!!! The food is good and the staff are really cheerful even when you're one of 4 in the restaurant. I feel sorry for them that their location is dreadful, otherwise I think they'd be doing much better.

Has anyone been to that new Mexican place, El Toro Loco in Navan? I want to give it a shot but always prefer a bit of feed back first!!!

EL toro loco is a lovely restuarant with fantastic food and great staff, it is very reasonably priced and the portions are great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 monkeynuts10

lisa79ie wrote: »
    Fab restaurant difinitely worth a trip to....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Fab restaurant difinitely worth a trip to....

Why post twice basically the same message? Vested interest perhaps?

Would you believe it when I read your first response I was think I have to go there. When I read the second (and your only other post) now i am not so sure.

seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Yes, copper and spice is nice.
    i'll definitely second that, and amazing value if you go for the early bird specials. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

Went to the Mint Leaf during this week for the first time and it was a very pleasant experience. Scallops & rissoto starter was delicious along with my main couse of salmon. Touched off perfect with a very tasty toffee and apple pie with ice cream.

The staff were warm and friendly and the atmosphere is very cosy with lovely decor.

Highly recommended :)

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I ate in La Bucca in Dunboyne back in December. Love La Bucca in Ratoath, service is always top notch but it was awful in Dunboyne. We were there for Sunday lunch and it wasn't even that busy but everything just seemed to go wrong from the minute we got there. We complained and got a discount on our bill but wouldn't be in a rush to go back as have heard the same from a few other people. Hopefully it was just teething problems because I don't think they were open that long at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Feownah wrote: »
    It may be bit big for that relaxed dining experience to dine in the restaurant, but for takeaway I have to say I think the Oriental Palace Chinese on Kennedy Road is my favourite Chinese around http://www.orientalpalace.ie/, its yum, fillet of beef is nice and tender, they have good portion of veg in the meat dishes as well which i like. I have dined here as well and staff are friendly.

Had takeaway from Oriental Palace about a month ago, and was nice but portions were very small, felt a bit ripped off in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Fonzey

I really rate The Oriental Palace. It's a nice and open restaurant and the staff are fantastic. I'd prefer it to The China Garden. We've tried quite a few different dishes each time we've eaten there and I find I can never quite finish my meals!

The Russell Restaurant is fab. A group of 6 of us ate there a few days after Xmas. It was 30e for 3 course meal, fantastic value! Tried the Clonakilty pudding salad (could have done with a few more pieces of pud), and the deep fried cheeses (yummm) for starter, beautifully cooked steak for main and I had mississippi mudpie for dessert.. Needless to say, we rolled home after that feed! Great busy restaurant atmosphere, would recommend to anybody!

Fonzey wrote: »
    I really rate The Oriental Palace. It's a nice and open restaurant and the staff are fantastic. I'd prefer it to The China Garden. We've tried quite a few different dishes each time we've eaten there and I find I can never quite finish my meals!

The Russell Restaurant is fab. A group of 6 of us ate there a few days after Xmas. It was 30e for 3 course meal, fantastic value! Tried the Clonakilty pudding salad (could have done with a few more pieces of pud), and the deep fried cheeses (yummm) for starter, beautifully cooked steak for main and I had mississippi mudpie for dessert.. Needless to say, we rolled home after that feed! Great busy restaurant atmosphere, would recommend to anybody!

I bet you a seafood dinner it wasnt clonakilty pudding :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Snailbox just north of Ashbourne on the N2.
    Enough said for this thread. Close it.
    Seriously though it's excellent and they do great deals for 4 course meal and a night over. €90 midweek and €100 weekend. That's not per person by the way!!!

http://www.snailbox.ie/accommodation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yep Snailbox is fantastic, especially for a hangover lunch on a Sunday! Not exactly a place for a quiet romantic meal, but food is top notch!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Liparis

My favourite is The Forge just outside Carnaross. Superb quality, but you pay for it. We couldn't afford to go very often, but if we're celebrating, it's the first place we call to book. You might find for the A LaCarte menu you have to book at least 10 days in advance, yes, that's how good it is. When family or friends come to visit us in Ireland, they always tell us, before arriving, "Book The Forge".

Yeah 10 days??? never had to wait for a table at the forge for that long

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Liparis

They have two parts now, one with set menu, you can get in there easy. Depends what you want, but both are great. Mind you, It's been a long time since I went into the a la carte, so perhaps it's less busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DUSS09

lisa79ie wrote: »

Hey, was just at el toro tonight, now one of my faves in Navan! Food was delish, decor just perfect and the service was friendly, not pushy...just great!!! Will definitely be going back again. They also have lovely areas for larger groups if anyone out there is looking - i'd say it's great for a birthday party or sth.

PS: the jalapeno mash is to die for!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

DUSS09 wrote: »
    Hey, was just at el toro tonight, now one of my faves in Navan! Food was delish, decor just perfect and the service was friendly, not pushy...just great!!! Will definitely be going back again. They also have lovely areas for larger groups if anyone out there is looking - i'd say it's great for a birthday party or sth.

PS: the jalapeno mash is to die for!

I smell a rat from these "el toro whateveritscalled" posts. This has to be the most false/cheesiest post I have ever came across. Jalapeno mash indeed:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DUSS09

nophd08 wrote: »
    I smell a rat from these "el toro whateveritscalled" posts. This has to be the most false/cheesiest post I have ever came across. Jalapeno mash indeed:rolleyes:

Jeez - harsh! But for anyone who actually does want feedback on el toro loco - they do have jalapeno mash and it was amazing! So note to future posters - if you don't want to be called cheesy and false on this forum, keep your food opinions to yourself...it seems! The only rat i think there is here is someone from a rival restaurant trying to ruin reviews of a restaurant that is actually good. Maybe try not insulting ppl in future who are only trying to give their own opinion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hamsterchen

any recent experience? Used to order take-away from them and quite happy, very nice food but recently ordered from them and the vindaloo sauce tasted of tomato puree and was really bland. Butter chicken was soso but again, very strong puree taste and not nice at all. And I believe their prices went up so not sure I'll ever order from again. Pity, hoped to have found a nice Indian restaurant in Navan.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

any recent experience? Used to order take-away from them and quite happy, very nice food but recently ordered from them and the vindaloo sauce tasted of tomato puree and was really bland. Butter chicken was soso but again, very strong puree taste and not nice at all. And I believe their prices went up so not sure I'll ever order from again. Pity, hoped to have found a nice Indian restaurant in Navan.:(

It is no longer under the same ownership as Khan Spices in Trim.

Advertisement