Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trickme

I ate in Massimos a few weekends ago after a few recommendations. Was very disappointed. Service was good and it's a lovely little restaurant, but garlic bread was very dry and pizzas were extremely bland. I had to overload mine with chilli oil just to get some flavour off it.

I stayed in the Marriott in Ashbourne on Friday night and we went to Cinnamon Garden in the town for dinner. Absolutely beautiful Indian restaurant. I did a bit of research before we went, and Paulo Tullio has even given it rave reviews. Really modern cuisine, not like any other Indian I've eaten in. The menu is small for an Indian, only about 20 main courses and I hadn't heard of a lot of them, but if you ask for a traditional dish that's not on the menu, they're happy to make it for you. Service was fantastic, food was absolutely gorgeous. Maybe slightly more expensive than other Indians I've eaten in but definitely worth it. Really looking forward to eating there again.

I never tried the breads or pizza but the steak and the cajun chicken dish was to die for. not really a lover of pizza anyways....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

in the Newbarn Farm near Ashbourne. It's delicious and very good prices. Their bbq pork ribs are to die for, yum yum. I am on the very petite side but I cleaned the whole rack and would eat the bones if my teeth were sharp enough. And they have the most fantastic chips. Their cakes are also fantastic and they server homemade ice-cream. The best invested 10 euro ever :D

I can commend the Donkey Shed ribs and homemade chips also. Excellent service in a relaxed setting of Newbarn Farm.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,414 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I ate in Massimos a few weekends ago after a few recommendations. Was very disappointed. Service was good and it's a lovely little restaurant, but garlic bread was very dry and pizzas were extremely bland. I had to overload mine with chilli oil just to get some flavour off it.
    Fair enough. I didn't have pizza mainly because ever since I was in Rome for a week a couple of years ago, pizzas in Ireland are forever a disappointment :(
    Pasta dish I had was very nice and I thought the whole atmosphere in the place was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sharpknife

Tried ElToroLoco...Really Bad experience & Then staff being rude. Food was very tasteless as well. Love mexican food but that experience killed my tastebuds for mexican

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

I can commend the Donkey Shed ribs and homemade chips also. Excellent service in a relaxed setting of Newbarn Farm.

I went to this place for breakfast a few weeks ago on a Saturday morning. I had been there before for a sandwich on an afternoon and was keen to find out what the brekkie was like.
    Firstly, let me point out that I have been going to the Fruit & Veg end of the operation for years and was expecting great things.
    After finding a table we were left waiting to give our order for ages, then we were served by a pretty surly young one - I tried to make conversation with her during the order taking and got blanked completely. After a very long wait for our order it arrived - straight away the o/h looked at the breakfast bap and agreed my breakfast was the better choice value wise. Well, that was until we ate - the eggs were swimming in grease, I mean floating - and when I bit into the bacon I almost spat it out. I was disgusting - a pure strip of cardboard tasting of nothing but fat. Parts of it were nice i.e. the sausage but on the whole it was a let down.
    I went over to get some supplies from the barn and the o/h paid - he said that the customer service at the til left a lot to be desired and then as he was leaving he saw a member of staff jostle a customer out of the way at the door. Very disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

sharpknife wrote: »
    Tried ElToroLoco...Really Bad experience & Then staff being rude. Food was very tasteless as well. Love mexican food but that experience killed my tastebuds for mexican

Was there a few weeks ago myself. Food wasn't the worst, but not worth the price. The service was terrible, one of the worst. Found the staff to be pleasant and nice, but waiting to long for food and between starter and main, and took ages to get a member of staff, waiting ten minutes to get our bill, would have been longer except went p to counter and paid myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Asian Mix in Ratoath

I always used to enjoy a trip in to Asian Mix for a nice bite to eat. In recent months I've noticed the standards seriously decline.

Service is appalling. The staff all seem to be very young and not very efficient with service.

Ive noticed that owner/manager seems to spend a lot of time in the kitchen whereas before he would be holding court at the the counter.

Have had numerous problems with wrong orders on takeaways too. They don't seem to listen when you phone in an order. Nearly always seem to have to wait for the correct food because they got it wrong originally.

Don't want to see them go but the standards have slipped.

Still reckon they've the best spicy ribs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Vego wrote: »
    O`briens johnstown always good for steak and chicken wings ....yum yum

To quote myself I believe its open again or something

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

To quote myself I believe its open again or something

Yip and I believe the food is back to what it used to be (good)......

Moanin wrote: »
    Yip and I believe the food is back to what it used to be (good)......

Have car will travel

• Advertisement

Have been to this for lunch and evening meals and have to say, OH and I both love the food. Staff are friendly and service is fast for the standard. Can't choose one dish to recommend as everything's delicious :)

Have been there a lot and liked it but went for lunch with a friend last week and the standard was very poor. We decided to eat in the bistro area instead of the carvery. I had a salmon dish which was dry and unappetising, and my friend had a panini with salad which was also disappointing. It was incredibly busy so maybe they were just under pressure, but instead will be going to the Castle Arch or Knightsbrook hotels in Trim instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Not great to be honest, have been a couple of times since it reopened with the new owners.

Lasagne is very mushy and not a lot of mince.
    The bruschetta could be used as bricks.

The service is ok but the food is nowhere near as good as it used to be when it was Big Cisseros.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Slimbo wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have recently opened the Poets Rest in Slane County Meath as an Argentinean themed steak & seafood house.
    I don't know if this post is politically correct but I would like to let people know we are open and that hopefully we will be back on the review thread in a positive way when people try it.
    I have another thread opened in the immediate regional areas and was PM'd to promote the business here, as we need all the PR we get.
    My apologies if I offended anyone by my business plug,but who better to promote a restaurant to than people who love food.
    Regards,
    Liam

I found this post when browsing and looking for some reviews on your restaurant because I have to say, without any bias that I just had my worst meal in the last couple of years in your restaurant. Your fish and chips actually gave me a bad stomach pain because the fish looked and tasted like it was drowned in oil to remove any natural taste of fish it had ever had and I didn't even finish it. Your kids menu is free of charge but that doesn't mean you should serve leftovers or stuff that wasn't suitable for adults to eat. My daughter's penne was so overcooked it was falling apart when she tried to eat it and the tomato sauce tasted like the cook basically opened a tin of canned tomatoes and tossed the pasta in it without any attempt at seasoning. Bland, watery and disgusting. I'd rather pay for my child's meal than letting her eat garbage.
    I will never return to your restaurant again. If you say you are a steak restaurant then I'm glad I haven't tried any. I ate one of the best steaks in Gordon Ramsay's in Powerscourt on Thursday and I'd be sorry to spoil that great experience with anything coming from your kitchen if they cook steak like they cook fish. While I understand that anything fried will always be oily to some extent it shouldn't swim in it.
    I am honestly upset right now because normally I'd say my opinion straight away but I wanted to leave as soon as possible because my daughter was very hungry. I am a passionate cook and when I want to treat her to a dinner in a restaurant I'd be going for a good quality food so I actually feel insulted on her behalf. She is actually the only winner in this disaster right now because she got some ice-cream without eating properly beforehand and that doesn't happen under normal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

haminka wrote: »
    I found this post when browsing and looking for some reviews on your restaurant because I have to say, without any bias that I just had my worst meal in the last couple of years in your restaurant. Your fish and chips actually gave me a bad stomach pain because the fish looked and tasted like it was drowned in oil to remove any natural taste of fish it had ever had and I didn't even finish it. Your kids menu is free of charge but that doesn't mean you should serve leftovers or stuff that wasn't suitable for adults to eat. My daughter's penne was so overcooked it was falling apart when she tried to eat it and the tomato sauce tasted like the cook basically opened a tin of canned tomatoes and tossed the pasta in it without any attempt at seasoning. Bland, watery and disgusting. I'd rather pay for my child's meal than letting her eat garbage.
    I will never return to your restaurant again. If you say you are a steak restaurant then I'm glad I haven't tried any. I ate one of the best steaks in Gordon Ramsay's in Powerscourt on Thursday and I'd be sorry to spoil that great experience with anything coming from your kitchen if they cook steak like they cook fish. While I understand that anything fried will always be oily to some extent it shouldn't swim in it.
    I am honestly upset right now because normally I'd say my opinion straight away but I wanted to leave as soon as possible because my daughter was very hungry. I am a passionate cook and when I want to treat her to a dinner in a restaurant I'd be going for a good quality food so I actually feel insulted on her behalf. She is actually the only winner in this disaster right now because she got some ice-cream without eating properly beforehand and that doesn't happen under normal circumstances.

Why didn't you complain to the manager at the time and just walk out?

Also, you should put this feedback on Trip Advisor or Menu Pages

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

chewed wrote: »
    Why didn't you complain to the manager at the time and just walk out?

Also, you should put this feedback on Trip Advisor or Menu Pages

The explanation is in there, my daughter was hungry and not in a good shape and if you had to handle a cranky toddler on your own for some time, you're not in the mood to make even more fuss. I know it wasn't the best thing to do and in fact it's not how I normally handle things. But I already sent the feedback to Menu Pages, can't believe anyone can give them a positive review. The place was relatively empty for lunch time Sunday with all the confirmations going on so this should have been a warning but having a little kid beside you repeating I'm hungry I'm hungry and wanting to sit down and eat something doesn't really improve your judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

endplate wrote: »
    Dunderry Lodge is very nice. Only problem is it's a little out of the way like Belinter House. Ian the head chef (owner) is very good. The menu usually includes a lot of game which I love. A very close second but definatly tops for carvery is Trim Castle Hotel

6 of us had the carvery lunch recently...wasn't impressed! The food overcooked due to sitting there too long and the veggies were soggy.

Has anyone tried the Haggard Inn since it re-opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Dunderry Lodge is an extremely overrated restaurant. The food was very poor the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Has anyone tried the Haggard Inn since it re-opened?
    The Haggard is not doing food.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Dunderry Lodge is an extremely overrated restaurant. The food was very poor the last time I was there.

Agreed! Dunderry Lodge is high prices and low standard food.

• Advertisement

c`mon lads .....the new restaurant in town ??......have the other restaurants done anything else ?

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

c`mon lads .....the new restaurant in town ??......have the other restaurants done anything else ?

Was there tonight with Mrs Stroke. Nice premises, good atmosphere, but a few things still need a bit of fine tuning.

I ordered the rib eye, and I like it medium, but what I received was far too well done. The missus had the surf and turk, and it was just as medium as she (and I) would like. Lots of staff there but not a lot of organisation or knowledge. They are only starting out in a difficult business, but a bit of product knowledge and defined table responsibility would make it a whole lot better. Side orders and dessert were nice, they need to heat the serving dishes before serving if the veg are not to go cold too quickly.

They have some nice craft beers, I like a pale ale and they have two - the Belfast Blonde has a lovely hoppy flavour but loses it's head quickly, Trouble Breqing's Ór is very nice, never had it before but would order it again. Hope they get Metalman and Galway Hooker on draft soon, Metalman is a seriously nice ale.

It's a large premises, and was busy tonight, but there were still a number of waiting staff not interested/sure what they should be doing. I'd give it a 5 out of 10 for tonight and shall return....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

They've updated their menu, and the changes have been well worth it.
    Zorro used to be a non spectacular coffee shop, and has had a poor rep over the last while, due to changes of owner and other issues.

The new owner has new staff, and the combination now works very well indeed, we've just been over there this evening, and had an excellent meal, well cooked, well presented and served, and reasonably priced.

Zorro has well and truly put down a marker that will take some matching, and yes, I have been to other restaurants in Ratoath, and the new chef at Zorro has learned his trade well.

If you've been to Zorro before, and been disappointed, it's well worth going in again, we'd heard that it had changed, so went to see, and it very much has, for the better. No hesitation or reservations about saying it is once again worth a visit, and we will be going back to try some of the other items on their new menu.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

Really worth writing about it on this AND starting a new thread saying basically the same thing?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Really worth writing about it on this AND starting a new thread saying basically the same thing?? :confused:

They work there??? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Anyone any recommendation for places in Ashbourne, La Bucca and Eatzen are on my to do list but is they're anywhere else worth trying in the area?

Also what about takeaways and other places that deliver? Just eat.ie seems to only have two places on its books for Ashbourne? Is there anywhere I can find out about who delivers? Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

draffodx wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendation for places in Ashbourne, La Bucca and Eatzen are on my to do list but is they're anywhere else worth trying in the area?

Also what about takeaways and other places that deliver? Just eat.ie seems to only have two places on its books for Ashbourne? Is there anywhere I can find out about who delivers? Any recommendations?

Best Chinese is the nicest in the town for take away, it's beside Chez Emily the chocolate plate opposite Aldi.

The Brock in down towards Kilshane Cross on the old N2 is amazing, corned beef and parslay sauce!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Fiona wrote: »
    Best Chinese is the nicest in the town for take away, it's beside Chez Emily the chocolate plate opposite Aldi.

The Brock in down towards Kilshane Cross on the old N2 is amazing, corned beef and parslay sauce!!

The quality in the Best is gone downhill a bit of late. The sauces are gone a bit gloopy and the chicken I got there lately was that funny textured rubbish and not the real deal.

The Brock Inn is great for a feed. They do real 'mammy dinners' and you wont walk away hungry.

Two more to add to your list:

Cinnamon Garden. I'm not a fan of Indian food, but I've never gotten a bad meal there - http://www.cinnamongarden.ie/

The Donkey Shed. More of a breakfast & lunch place, but the food is faultless. Well worth checking out. http://www.newbarnfarm.ie/restaurant.html

For take-aways, La Bucca do 2 for 1 on all their pizza, pasta and burgers Monday to Thursday night which is great value in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

living in ashbourne,.

The donkey shed is probably the greatest hidden gem in the country let alone the county. started doing evenings after demand grew so high.

Ill second the cinnamon garden as well. Food well above average for an indian.

Cannot go wrong in la bucca, good food every time.

Ive eaten in Eatzen 3 times now, bad or takeway food with above average prices every time. I had a chow mein at 22 quid that was worse then an 8 euro takeaway chow mein.
    If anyone thinks Im being harsh go into dublin and go to kohs, eat there, and then go to eatzen for 30% more price for 30% less quality for same food and tell me Im wrong. If its was just a takeaway I wouldnt complain but its not, it puts itself forward as something else.
    Abort!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

draffodx wrote: »

You could try LT Thai in Ashbourne. Especially if you're into Sushi.

Advertisement