Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Microchipping

Options
  • 24-08-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

hi just looking or advice have a cat shes about 4 years old she isnt micro chipped though i have the dog microchipped but just not the cat and wondering i people recomend microchipping a cat? and whats involved in doing it that car is highly allergic to anshetha so can never be put to sleep but also scared she could be allergic to other things! she is a wanderier but never goes to far?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

I'd definately reccomend having your cat chipped - especially if she's prone to even short wanders! Microchipping involves a microchip (about the size of a small grain of rice) being inserted just under the skin (usually at the back of the neck/between the shoulder blades) by a vet with a needle - the animal does not need to be sedated. Although the needle can be a bit sore during insertion, as it's a bit larger than the needle used to give the usual shots, the discomfort is minimal and it's over very quickly. It is exceptionally unlikely that your cat would have an allergic reaction to the chip as they are coated in an extremely innate plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

I'd definately reccomend having your cat chipped - especially if she's prone to even short wanders! Microchipping involves a microchip (about the size of a small grain of rice) being inserted just under the skin (usually at the back of the neck/between the shoulder blades) by a vet with a needle - the animal does not need to be sedated. Although the needle can be a bit sore during insertion, as it's a bit larger than the needle used to give the usual shots, the discomfort is minimal and it's over very quickly. It is exceptionally unlikely that your cat would have an allergic reaction to the chip as they are coated in an extremely innate plastic.

thanks the two pets are going to the vets on thursday or the yearly shots so may talk to him them! any one no about cost i these! just before i go in id like to no a rough amount! cause when i ask the vet he always goes ahead and does makes it seem like its 100% neccesary so i never find out a price till im landed with this bill lol mystupidity really!!! im to easy any thing the vet recomends for my animals i feel 100% neccesary to get it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It'll probably be around €60, at least that's what it cost to get each of my dogs done.

Advertisement