Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance, I can't receive the money to pay landlord?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

never posted here before but here goes
    i have applied for rent allowence for me my partner and my newborn son, we have all the forms filled out and have had some help with regards of what to do but as for the payments...
    i dont have a bank account, a valid passport to open a bank account and ive been told that i cant have the money payed into the landlords account
    what can i do?:confused:
    i do have a credit union account but the white form for bank details needs a sort code, and i cant find 1 for my account with the cred union

and how long does it take for the money to come though, i cant afford to pay the rent for 10 weeks waiting for this money if its coming to me to pay him/her

need help from someone who has had expirience or knows about this sort of stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭niamh4626

You will have to contact the credit union and get their bank details from them. As far as I am aware the credit union banks with ulster Bank. Then as the reference you will have to put your credit union account details.

Or what else you could do it get the social welfare cheques made payable to the landlord and then arrange to meet / post them to him at the end of each month.

Or if they wont do that you can get cheques made payable to yourself and when you receive them you can sign the back of each one and then hand them over to the landlord once a month......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Does your partner have a bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 clickypiggy

niamh4626 wrote: »
    You will have to contact the credit union and get their bank details from them. As far as I am aware the credit union banks with ulster Bank. Then as the reference you will have to put your credit union account details.

Or what else you could do it get the social welfare cheques made payable to the landlord and then arrange to meet / post them to him at the end of each month.

Or if they wont do that you can get cheques made payable to yourself and when you receive them you can sign the back of each one and then hand them over to the landlord once a month......

thanks for the reply, as far as im awar the landlord lives very far away, im renting through an estate agent and they said that they wouldent give any bank details "unless its absolutly neccesary" i wouldent mind reciving the checks but do you know how long it would be before i got the 1st one?
    thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

I assume waiting times depend on area. In Kildare (Maynooth) - the average waiting time is 10 - 12 weeks although I have heard of a case that took 6 months. Have you applied for council housing as this application tends to hold up rent supplement payments. Arrears will be paid if the claim is successful but I would expect there is a very long wait time.

If you do not return the white form rent allowance will be paid directly to you by cheque each month

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Shifty

Use an ML10 form signed in a Garda station basically stating that you do not have a valid passport or driving licence, this can be used as part ID for opening a bank account.

You can get one at the Garda station, bring any ID you have to prove you are who you say you are as the Garda has to satisty themselves that you are that person. If you know a Garda or a Garda knows you that would be the best way to proceed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

niamh4626 wrote: »
    As far as I am aware the credit union banks with ulster Bank.
    It will vary between credit unions.

Can it be paid via the post office?

The banks need to satisy themselve as to your identity. While this normally means a possport of driviing licence, there are other ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 christina51

im new to this but really need advice.i was renting a house between april 2008 until march 2010 i was in full time employment at the time so could afford it.anyway to cut a long story short myself and the landlord started a relationship and i fell pregnant in november 2008.he never lived with me but i had my baby in august 2009 and we split up in march 2010,i had left my job and was receiving illness benefit so had no choice but to move back to my parents house as i could no longer afford the rent.its not working out at home so can anyone tell me if i am entitled to rent allowance?on the citizens advice page it says if you have been renting for 6 months out of the previous 12 you are entitled to it so do i not have to register on a housing list?my ex has no problem in giving me a letter to say i was renting his property but will this be sufficient?any advice would be really appreciated

Under a strict interpretation of the rules- yes, you are entitled to rent allowance. You need to contact the local community welfare officer, to clarify the exact rules, including rent limits etc, for the area you propose to live in. You are also entitled to maintenance payments for your child from your ex- which I know is totally a separate matter- but something you need to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

smccarrick wrote: »
    Under a strict interpretation of the rules- yes, you are entitled to rent allowance. You need to contact the local community welfare officer, to clarify the exact rules, including rent limits etc, for the area you propose to live in. You are also entitled to maintenance payments for your child from your ex- which I know is totally a separate matter- but something you need to consider.

I'm not sure there is an Ex in this scenario.

Blackjack wrote: »

That may or not be the case- its an unusual situation- and quite possible if she was seeking rent allowance that any time spent in the accommodation belonging to the father of her child, would not count towards reckoning for period renting- but that would be up to the deciding officer....... Presuming it was determined to be calculable, it is the legal duty of her ex to provide accommodation for his child........ Its a messy situation- and up to the poster to clarify their situation......

• Advertisement

yes he is my ex blackjack,yes its messy but its just the way things worked out

smccarrick thanks for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

smccarrick wrote: »
    That may or not be the case- its an unusual situation- and quite possible if she was seeking rent allowance that any time spent in the accommodation belonging to the father of her child, would not count towards reckoning for period renting- but that would be up to the deciding officer....... Presuming it was determined to be calculable, it is the legal duty of her ex to provide accommodation for his child........ Its a messy situation- and up to the poster to clarify their situation......

My bad - I was referring to the OP's situation, didnt cop you were responding to another posters items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PhiloD

never posted here before but here goes
    i have applied for rent allowence for me my partner and my newborn son, we have all the forms filled out and have had some help with regards of what to do but as for the payments...

and how long does it take for the money to come though, i cant afford to pay the rent for 10 weeks waiting for this money if its coming to me to pay him/her
    f

In my case I was the same, receiving Jobseekers Allowance through Post Office so no bank account. The Welfare Officer can send you a cheque on the last day of each month and as it's a social welfare cheque the Post Office where you receive your social welfare payment will cash it with your Social Welfare card as ID, (white card).
    Rent supplement is paid 1 month in arrears, so rent you paid to landlord on 31st July for month of Aug, will be paid to you on 31st Aug, which you can use for your Sept rent and so on.
    Rent is 1 month in advance, rent allowance 1 month in arrears. Just another way to keep us on the poverty line.

My bad - I was referring to the OP's situation, didnt cop you were responding to another posters items.

Perhaps I should split out the thread- things can easily get confusing. No worries anyhow.

Shane

Advertisement