Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts-help with subject choice....

Options
  • 24-08-2010 3:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi everyone....

I am going to NUIG this September to study arts, but am a little unsure about which subjects to pick.....

I am definite about legal science and french. I am also pretty sure about soc and pol, but its not a definite.... so i was thinking for my fourth it would be a toss up between spanish and philosophy... can anyone tell me a bit more about any of these subjects and what they involve? and which would you recommened??

also i have heard that for the first week or so that you dont have to pick your subjects, so you are able to attend lectures of all the subjects or omething like that? :/ would i be able to do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

1992 wrote: »

also i have heard that for the first week or so that you dont have to pick your subjects, so you are able to attend lectures of all the subjects or omething like that? :/ would i be able to do this?

Yup. There won't be any proper lectures during the first week, merely introductory ones.

I did Philosophy but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. In semester one everything seemed rushed... The ethics part in semester two was very interesting though (despite the lecturer's boring, monotonous voice).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

What do you want to do after you graduate?

My immediate reaction was to say go for Spanish, if you want to explore philosophy then you can read some books on your own time. However, you're already doing French so maybe two languages would be too much at once. Regardless, Philosophy is fun but not exactly useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Spanish involves 7 contact hours per week, 3 grammar, one language lab (aural comprehension, basically), one writing/culture class, one Spanish history lecture and one conversation class. If you have a flair for languages in general, it's very manageable.

Like any other subject, some great teachers, some not so much. If you're willing to put the effort in, and willing to speak the language out loud as much as possible, it should be no bother at all. This isn't a subject you can afford to skip many classes in, though. Especially grammar classes, they're absolutely vital or you could easily end up a bit at sea.

There are 3 or 4 additional hours involved compared to other subjects, but this is kind of balanced by the lack of very labour intensive essays etc. There are many small pieces of work to hand up, but none of the 2000 word essays or anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Niamhf

If you pick Spanish you will have to work hard at it....if you pick philosophy just read what you are asked to read in semester one, exams are easy especially in semester 2! I hated philosophy at first but in semester two I actually began to enjoy it! Spanish is great, really enjoyable, but you will have to work at it and attend everything! The choice is up to you at the end of the day, don't let the "easy subject" thing influence you at all, do what you know you will enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭1992

Monzo wrote: »
    Yup. There won't be any proper lectures during the first week, merely introductory ones.

I did Philosophy but didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. In semester one everything seemed rushed... The ethics part in semester two was very interesting though (despite the lecturer's boring, monotonous voice).

but when i register its telling me to pick my subjects?? its quite confusing... :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Ms January

I picked English philosophy legal science and sociological and political studies... IT is in the same group as english so im confused as to why the computer gave me that option.. does anyone know if I can do IT and English...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

1992 wrote: »
    but when i register its telling me to pick my subjects?? its quite confusing... :/

You have until the end of September to register, so don't worry about it. The options will stay there until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irisheyez

I went to University to do English and Philosophy specifically.

I chose Archaeology and Classics as my back-ups, not even sure what they were.

I ended up hating English and Philosophy and loving Archaeology and Classics.
    I just graduated!!

Some points o keep in mind

• make sure they are subjects you enjoy.
    • there will be jobs when you graduate.
    • that there are numerous postgraduate options when you do graduate. (recession buster)
    • Have fun.!

Advertisement