Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2010 Video Game

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

thegoth wrote: »
    Pre booked this last night in Xtra Vision. Hear its codemasters biggest ever realase, so better be safe than sorry since I booked tomorrow off work way back in March I think so I could spend the day playing it

Believe it or not it seems demand for this has well outstripped supply. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Quickly cancel your orders on Xbox and pc, get it for the PS3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

just as well we ordered of u then pat

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Quickly cancel your orders on Xbox and pc, get it for the PS3!
    The PC version has the best graphics if you have the hardware, followed my 360 then PS3, thats official, there are a few comparison articles on the net confirming this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 STEO 1989

Cant wait for this game getting it for the 360 of course :P!! anybody who wants to race saturday night pm me your gamertag i have me and my two mates at the min!! Alonso for the title :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Nice comparision screenshot.

Ended up ordering it in a local shop on PC. Can pick it up after work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Just got my game In through the letter box

for the 360

time to try it out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I went into HMV last night but they didn't have it on the shelves yet, surprisingly enough I guess seeing it's not officially out until, erm, now :)

Anyway I'm going to try and pick up a copy for the PS3 after work. Would love one of those steering wheels to use with it too but I think I will test out the game with the normal controllers and make sure I like it before forking out for a steering wheel and pedals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Preordered on Amazon yesterday, going to probably be a week before I get it. :(

A few people said that that the boxed version for the PC might only be available via preorder and after that its digital download only? Seems like a strange thing to do so I dont know if theres any truth in it.

Either way will have it soon hopefully and have my G27 all ready to go! :D

• Advertisement

Preordered on Amazon yesterday, going to probably be a week before I get it. :(

A few people said that that the boxed version for the PC might only be available via preorder and after that its digital download only? Seems like a strange thing to do so I dont know if theres any truth in it.

Either way will have it soon hopefully and have my G27 all ready to go! :D

I had pre-ordered from Amazon too but when I seen that they weren't going to dispatch it until yesterday (23rd) I knew there was no way I would have it today and with no Saturday post, it was going to be Monday at the earliest before I had it. So I cancelled my pre-order and am hoping I will be able to get a copy in the shops this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

So is it any good guys - I have forza and tbh, it doesnt look much different, other than the cars/track obviously - the collision detection seems to be miles off, from some of those vids you can just barrel it into a corner and everyone pushes wide without damaging your car ??

Im tempted but dont need another forza type driving game just yet

Just posted this over on the simracing forum, thought id post here too incase you lads may be interested.
    Heres a couple of screenshots i took of a modified cockpit view im using now.
    While the default isnt bad the sense of speed is not great so i found myself using the T cam which is great but i like to play from cockpit for extra realism. sense of speed is great with this modded view, the joys of pc games :)

Default cockpit
    f12010game2010092409492.jpg

Modded cockpit
    f12010game2010092409544.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

There's also the 'proper' T-angle camera mod

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I hate to nitpick but you have modded it so your sitting far too high! It was more realistic using the default view.The joys of a stock game without mods :)

Yes its higher but it increases the sense of speed massively.
    Dont diss it until you have tried it.

Im messing about with other views also Ill try upload a vid later.

The joys of PC gaming , i can use the modded views while still keeping the defaults, you can just add as many cameras to the cycle as you wish :)

Besides, camera height is somewhat a red herring in racing sims.
    None of us really know tbh, Massa has gone on record saying this is very similar to his view saying its about 6-8 inches lower than this vid and obviously closer too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kONSQIW30vY

If hes correct then that modded view is very close to it.

Game looks great, only got the xbox a month or so ago so haven't done much racing on it. But no major complaints, my main problem at the moment is getting used to controls. Could configure it more like I'm used to on the PC or stick with the the default controls haven't decided yet

Quick video i made of my current custom cockpit view.
    Graphics and sound quality compressed to alow for small file size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8qK0jLGTjE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Picked it up at lunch time,looking forward to giving it a go later!

Just back into the apartment now, picked up a copy no bother in Game. It was actually cheaper than Amazon UK. They were quoting me €52 all in but in Game it was €49.99.

I was so tempted to buy the Logitech Driving Force GT wheel and pedals but decided against it. I guess I can always buy it or something equivalent later.

Just going to fire up the PS3 now. I will need the cable for the controller, it's been a while since it was used and it may get a pounding tonight :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Just back into the apartment now, picked up a copy no bother in Game. It was actually cheaper than Amazon UK. They were quoting me €52 all in but in Game it was €49.99.

I got it in HMV for E44.99 and they gave me E9 voucher also for some reason!

I got it on PS3 and the graphics arent great in places. Looks like they were trying to do too much like on main straight in Melbourne it just looks jumpy and reflections on the car are very bad too but the racing is actually better then F1 2006. Its easier to avoid crashes and you dont have AI cars ploughing into your rear wing like before.

Started career on Expert in the HRT but turned on traction control as its impossible otherwise while using a controller. Have the pace to keep up and pass but one mistake and you probably wont make back the time. Every lap needs to be good.

On my very first lap of the race got a puncture...d'oh!

I dont see fuel management, but there is engine management as the engine tends to over heat.

It could be better but il still play it regardless. Waited this long for an F1 game afterall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

I play a good few driving games. Playing this with legend AI. I'm driving for Lotus with Trulli.

TC off
    ABS off
    Auto brake off
    Racing line full

I cannot get within 3 seconds of Trullis time, even with all aids on. Anyone else with this problem , or am I ****e ?

In Forza nearly all my times are in top 1%

The driving line assit in this is REALLY bad compared. How are you supposed to use it ? Its stays read even when you should be off the brake. If you braked for all the time the racing line is red, you would literally stop

I didn't check HMV to see how much it was there. I was kind of in so much of a rush to get it I just went into the first shop I seen :)

I picked Lotus to start my career with, although I suppose Williams or Force India would have had a better car. The engine seems to overheat quite often which I'm not sure why. I guess it must be my driving style - flooring it all the time.

I had to turn the braking assist off almost straight away as it was costing me far too much time. I have traction control on full so far as I like being able to just floor the car when I think I've made the corner. I kind of have a driving style where I like to slow down before the corner so I can make it and then speed up as I'm going through it.

I haven't really tried too hard so far and have literally done only about 4 laps of the Sakhir circuit but f*** it's boring and tedious.

**** the ****ing tyre punctures tbh :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Just played my friends copy on PC, it was cool but I think ill wait for Grand Turismo 5 to get a fully featured racing game.

I got through the first three races
    For the first race started on medium difficulty which was a bit easy but fun enough. On hard for the other races it was about right, just traction control on medium, but still managed to spin once or twice. AI still a bit easy but for short race it helps.

Do need to get the racing line right, too much kerb and you can spin, cut a corner or hit other car can get a warning or penalty. Having to pit for tyres is good. Not sure how fuel is managed but have got low fuel warnings on flying laps. Race engineer is good function but might get annoying. The pit stops could be better

Definitely feels less of a racing sim than other games, acceleration and braking could require more precision, car is pretty stable most of the time but maybe it the settings I've used so far

• Advertisement

GT5 fully featured? Non of the GT games have been proper-racing. After playing all the demos of GT5 I am far from impressed. I dont expect the full game to be any different.

Sorry I didn't mean to slag F1 its clearly a very polished game. But I prefer the cars, tracks in GT/Forza and also the variation of what you can do.

I need to change something with how I'm playing/driving. There are corners I can take faster but the car just won't turn in. I'm not quite sure what it is.

Is anyone tweaking the setup or are you just picking the more pre-set type setups available when you pick the "engineer" option in the garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's so long since i've played a racing game that after setting up my season i've gone to time trial mode to get a handle on the tracks(and cars). Some craic barreling out of Eau Rouge!:D

Yeah, I'm loving it now :D

Playing on Expert with AI on legend. First race was terrible, but qualifying in the second race was awesome.

Pulled off an 8th place with the Lotus car. Still getting the hang of the starts in the game, dropped to 12th before finishing 10th. Was delighted! Had a fight with Petrov right through to the finish. He overtook me in the pit stop but I closed him down straight out of the pits and held him at bay to the chequered flag :P

Make sure your not trying to carry too much speed into the corner, if your are you wont be able to hit the apex and will run wide mid corner. Quite often people think the car has massive understeer and try all sorts of setup changes. Sometimes all it takes is to shave 10-15km/h off your entry speed.

Right I'm gonna try that in Eau Rouge now, I keep under steering. I also need to turn off the driving line its distracting and terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Ok. I got within .5 sec of Trulli in Barhain P1. Faster through first 2 segments by a good bit but lost it in segment 3. Bahrain is a long track this year. Still learning it.

My BIG problem was I was using the Dynamic racing line the same way as Forza. Massive mistake. The racing line in F1 2010 isn't nearly as good as Forza regarding suggested braking zones. You can only use it as a guide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

First race of the season down; though I used Flashbacks and the restart function a bit! Played the short race weekend. TC on Medium, auto gears (:o), no brakes, dynamic line on (have to work out when you can ignore it!).

Decided on the Lotus drive. Did alright in Practice - 13th and a decent time. Got confused in Qualifying a little; got 18th but was expecting it to go through the various sessions which it didn't...Was ahead of Trulli though and the team expectation so that was good.

Scrappy start to the race - took a position on corner 1 but drove straight into an accident and damaged front wing (damage seems a little off so far). Few mistakes and inconsistencies...Couldn't nail decent times. Finished 19th in the end - one position behind the expectation but did beat Trulli.

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Decided on the Lotus drive. Did alright in Practice - 13th and a decent time. Got confused in Qualifying a little; got 18th but was expecting it to go through the various sessions which it didn't...Was ahead of Trulli though and the team expectation so that was good.

If you make it through to Qualifying 2 then it keeps on going etc

My Malaysian race was fun! Qualified 15th and took 8th by the first corner. Lost 4 places before I pit in early, it started raining 3/4 of the way through the race. Everyone pit in and I stayed out on the dry tyres, ended up in 6th. Ended up about 5 seconds a lap slower than the intermediate guys and finished a disappointing 14th. Could have been so so much better :(

got my first 2 points last night with the lotus team did a sh1te losd of pratice laps to get a feel for it as i was spinning way to much.in one of the races i did not pit at all whats the story with this ii have it on automatic/or enginners decision but i was never called in which i found strange.

serious game the more i play it the better it gets

naughto wrote: »
    got my first 2 points last night with the lotus team did a sh1te losd of pratice laps to get a feel for it as i was spinning way to much.in one of the races i did not pit at all whats the story with this ii have it on automatic/or enginners decision but i was never called in which i found strange.

serious game the more i play it the better it gets

any penalty for not pitting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Is it worth getting lads? I've €70 to last me the week but I'm very very tempted to go out and buy this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

If you make it through to Qualifying 2 then it keeps on going etc

My mistake; forgot where the cut-off point was! Some things aren't very well presented - such as the cut-off in Qualifying and the gap between you and closest competitor. I only have a fraction of a second to check the HUD so seeing how much faster or slower I am than Hamilton is no help to me...

Engineer is very chatty too - "come on, you can take him"...Err, I'm in a Lotus, Alonso is a Ferrari!

🤪

any penalty for not pitting?

no penalty or any thing my engineer never told me to pit so i just kept going

naughto wrote: »
    no penalty or any thing my engineer never told me to pit so i just kept going

that's a pity

also seems to be other bugs with transparent cars coming into pits and having to wait ages to be released in the pitlane with cars behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

also seems to be other bugs with transparent cars coming into pits and having to wait ages to be released in the pitlane with cars behind

Waiting in the pits isnt a bug, its the rule for "unsafe releases" and needing to have 10m of open pitlane before being released-what a load of crap for a racing game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

Terrific game, although I was farting around for an hour trying to get Windows live upated. Things sure have come a long way since the original GP title by Geoff Crammond. Playing on PC with Legendary AI and all assists turned off - I managed to qualify 20th in Bahrain in the Lotus. Accelerating out of some of the low speed corners at this circuit is a real challenge. TrackIR works a treat and gets round the 'too low down' view in the cockpit.

I don't think I'll bother with career mode until the game gets patched. It would appear the AI does not bother to pit at all in a race under some conditions. Worse, it has also been reported that the AI put in faster laps during the race than during quali!
    Full bug list here:
    http://community.codemasters.com/forum/f1-2010-game-1316/429298-unofficial-f1-2010-bugs-errors-list.html
    Despite this, its immense fun and will feed my F1 addiction for a long time to come.

Well guys having spent a lot of time with the game this week i can confirm the game is absolutely riddled with bugs 30-40 major bugs reported on most of the community sites,everything from pitstop bugs to corrupt save files.
    Also it looks like codemasters lied to us all too, they said the AI making mistakes would not be scripted, they are.
    Also the lead dev guy admitted on his twitter that the AI dont even qualify its all just a random calculation.
    Ive personally seen the AI in qualification in Spa qualify @ 1:19 totally totally unrealistic times.
    Now we know why they didnt release any form of demo as at best the game is in beta form.

Codies have stated that they have planned a meeting first thing Monday morning to discuss the issues and a possible patch.

Links to the tweets

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

http://twitter.com/T4RG4/status/25443565012

Disgraceful they release a game in this state.
    Pretty much every fansite and the official sites are in uproar.

Despite this the game has huge potential and im still enjoying it but ill admit the rubber band AI is a major turn off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Even with the mentioned bugs its quite great, im sure codemasters will release a patch with it to fix up stuff soon,they have to really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Darwin

Tbh despite all the bugs, I'm still enjoying the game. I'm happy enough hotlapping all the different circuits - I might even be good enough to complete in career mode by the time a patch comes out!

I think a patch will be out soon, codemasters pay close attention to their forums and at the minute its just a moan-fest about the bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

I had been enjoying this most of the weekend using the wheel but now its given up. Pretty pissed off with it. Have it almost two years and this is the first time its felt right for a game.

8/10 for me I think. I'm meant to do a review for an online website but I think I'll wait until the first patch to do a thorough review, I honestly think its a 9/10 game easily if they fix the issues

The worst bug iv seen so far is with the weather, in Q1 it was raining and then in Q2 it was bone dry, what happened with all this dynamic weather for gods sake???

Another bug ive come across myself is the 200,100,50 meter markers are equal distance apart.
    Not sure if they are on all tracks but the ones i took notice of definitely are.
    Another glaring mistake from codemasters.
    At this stage i have to laugh at all the dev videos with Anthony Davidson that were released before the game surfaced.
    Im still enjoying the game but to think they pluck the AI qualifying times out of thin air with nothing to do with the cars you see on track is absolutely pathetic.
    Also why can i win a Grand Prix in a Lotus with all aids off and AI to legendary?
    Its a joke how early the Ai brake into the corners, its incredibly easy to outbrake them :(
    Shame really as apart from braking zones the AI are fun to race with, i now find myself not taking the easy pass with the AI now.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    Another bug ive come across myself is the 200,100,50 meter markers are equal distance apart.
    Not sure if they are on all tracks but the ones i took notice of definitely are.
    Another glaring mistake from codemasters.
    At this stage i have to laugh at all the dev videos with Anthony Davidson that were released before the game surfaced.
    Im still enjoying the game but to think they pluck the AI qualifying times out of thin air with nothing to do with the cars you see on track is absolutely pathetic.
    Also why can i win a Grand Prix in a Lotus with all aids off and AI to legendary?
    Its a joke how early the Ai brake into the corners, its incredibly easy to outbrake them :(
    Shame really as apart from braking zones the AI are fun to race with, i now find myself not taking the easy pass with the AI now.

Any word on how that meeting they had today went?

Advertisement