Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cisco 2600 vlan issue

Options
  • 24-08-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

hii i cant get to set a vlan database on a cisco 2600.

the command vlan database comes back with error each time, dos this router support vlan

thanks for help

ios is

Version 12.2(16),

here is error:

Router#vlan database
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Router#

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Vlans are a feature of a managed switch, it won't be on the router.

edit:
    And I hope that the reading material you're using makes it clear that
    vlan database
    is deprecated, should only be used on older switches. Should be using config mode on newer IOS/equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Hi thanks for help I was doing the router on a stick tutorial. Would u have a more modern tutorial if this one is out of date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I seem to vaguely remember configuring a trunk port on a 2600 at one point (might have been a 2800 though). Have you been able to configure subinterfaces? What happens when you try to enable a trunking protocol? You may need a newer IOS version, or one with additional features.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

A router doesnt use VLANs internally like a switch. Instead - a routers interface can be configured to send and receive ethernet frames with a VLAN tag attached and this is what you need to do for a router-ona-stick approach.

You need to create a sub interface for each VLAN and tell the router which VLAN tag to use. (The sub interface and vlan do not have to match - but its good practice to keep them the same...).

So if interface fastethernet0/0 on the router is connected to your switches trunk port you would configure it something like this...
    (config)# interface fastethernet 0/0.100
    (config-if)# encapsulation dot1q 100
    (config-if)# ip address 10.0.100.1 255.255.255.0

(config)# interface fastethernet 0/0.200
    (config-if)# encapsulation dot1q 200
    (config-if)# ip address 10.0.200.1 255.255.255.0

The hosts that are connected to the switch would then need to use the appropriate IP address for each vlan above as their default gateway to allow them to pass traffic between the vlans.

thanks a million

i was trying to put these commands in

R0#vlan database
    R0(vlan)#vlan 10
    VLAN 10 added:
    Name: VLAN0010
    R0(vlan)#vlan 20
    VLAN 20 added:
    Name: VLAN0020
    R0(vlan)#apply
    APPLY completed.
    R0(vlan)#exit
    APPLY completed.
    Exiting....

this is from a router on a stick tutorial

it worked fine in packet tracer

:D

thanks i will try your solution

• Advertisement

great that worked, no vlan data base on the router, dam packet tracer..

thanks again

Advertisement