Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring advice (double wall socket)

• 24-08-2010 3:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hi,

I have to replace a double switched wall socket and when I opened up the old one I have 3 cables (live, neutral and earth). However on the replacement double socket it has 2 earth contacts and I want to check how I go from 1 on the existing socket to 2 on the new one. Anyone able to help ? Thanks. Michael

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

the earth terminations are common so it doesnt matter which one you connect into. if you have a metal back box make sure its also earthed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Energysavers.ie

Sounds like you have a socket made for "Clean earth" situations, just to confuse you. you can be sure its of good quality. Choose one and off you go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

prob just a standard socket - 2 terminals are common

sometimes a cpc is wired into each screw for 'high-integrity earth ' if there was known fault current on the circuit(10mA or so)

in one screw out the other for a ring

same for a radial - but on the last socket a separate cpc back to DB

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

the earth terminations are common so it doesnt matter which one you connect into. if you have a metal back box make sure its also earthed.

Lots of confusing replies, but this is the one I would agree with. I would normally use the second connection to earth the back box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

2011 wrote: »
    Lots of confusing replies, but this is the one I would agree with. I would normally use the second connection to earth the back box.

didn't mean to confuse the op-it's a standard socket -common terminals:p

thought i would share some additional information regarding the use of the 2 screws

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

didn't mean to confuse the op
    No offence intended

Advertisement