Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeal Process - waiting for October

• 24-08-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

I've accepted my offer, but I'm hoping to appeal a few exams if I don't get my first choice in the second round, which I'm off by 5 points.

If I appeal exams, what happens until October? Do I participate in the course I've accepted, ie. buy the books, etc.?

They're both in the same college, by the way.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I've accepted my offer, but I'm hoping to appeal a few exams if I don't get my first choice in the second round, which I'm off by 5 points.

If I appeal exams, what happens until October? Do I participate in the course I've accepted, ie. buy the books, etc.?

They're both in the same college, by the way.

Thanks.

You can't really do anything except attend the course you were offered. Some courses leave spaces for those who go up on rechecks to join in October but some only reserve a place for you for next year. If you bought the books and attended the lectures (you might not even be able to do that) it'd be a waste if you didn't go up in the rechecks at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

You can't really do anything except attend the course you were offered. Some courses leave spaces for those who go up on rechecks to join in October but some only reserve a place for you for next year. If you bought the books and attended the lectures (you might not even be able to do that) it'd be a waste if you didn't go up in the rechecks at all..
    I meant bought the books and attended the lectures of the course I accepted, not the course I may go up in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I meant bought the books and attended the lectures of the course I accepted, not the course I may go up in.

Oh sorry :o If you're interested in staying in that course I think its the only thing you can do, as you may not get the other course.

Oh sorry :o If you're interested in staying in that course I think its the only thing you can do, as you may not get the other course.
    Yeah, true. Though it'd be a pain to have everything got then get the 5 points and have to move to the other course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Attend the lectures etc. anyway ... you might not choose to go too mad buying books until you know for definite, a lot of stuff is likely to be on Moodle / Blackboard and it will probably keep you going for the most part until October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Start your course and throw yourself into it, points DO go up but not as often as people think, they also go down. I'm correcting appeals this year and did it two years ago too. You might not need to buy too many books, libraries are great. Best of luck!

Thanks.

I'm hoping it drops 5 points in the second round, or else I'm definately appealing!

Thanks.

I'm hoping it drops 5 points in the second round, or else I'm definately appealing!
    Go and view your scripts (esp. any one you feel disappointed with) with a teacher, preferably an experienced examiner in that subject, then decide about appeals.

No point appealing a subject in which you have just scraped in over the cut-off without any obvious errors in correcting, and end up coming down a grade!!

Both orientation days are on Wednesday, a day before the 2nd round. So if I get it in the second round I could end up changing after one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What happens if you pay the registration fee and then get offered a place in another college that you want accept? Do you get the full fee back, only some of it, or none of it? And is it possible to put off paying the fee until you're positive you wont get another offer?

• Advertisement

Lawliet wrote: »
    What happens if you pay the registration fee and then get offered a place in another college that you want accept? Do you get the full fee back, only some of it, or none of it?
    You should get it all back as far as I know, it might take a while though.
    Lawliet wrote: »
    And is it possible to put off paying the fee until you're positive you wont get another offer?
    I don't think so.

Advertisement