Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peal Brasserie or Unicorn

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Anyone like to offer opinion on which one is nicer? Its for a family birthday for my dad so looking for something higher end without being a rip off.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

It has to be Pearl, always bring my parents there as a special treat.
    Great food and service,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I haven't been to Pearl, but I have been to the Unicorn twice and found it to be very overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

My only experience with unicorn was a bad one. Went for lunch without a reservation, as it was sunny we asked to sit outside. They said no problem. They put 4 of us at a table for two. (no one else outside) we asked could they bring another table over and was duely informed by the manager that some regular customers might drop in :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Unicorn treat anybody under 40 like shit, they keep you standing around and are extremley rude in my experience. Also the steaks are awful -always overcooked - and check carefully the wine you're given - the years are often wrong and you get served the cheaper version and charged for the more expensive one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Had a Christmas lunch at Unicorn a few years back, never the best time to rate a restaurant, but it was pretty damn poor.

Pearl Brasserie is a fantastic experience, the place looks wonderful, the food is great (expensive though!), and the waiting staff are brilliant - without being intrusive. A gem of a spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

unicorn, don't know, never been there.

Perl brasserie, I think it is an overrated place, it has even won some awards but I don't know why, the food is not exceptional, I had a main course of fish last year and it was dreadfully cooked; as far as I remember it is a bit expensive for what it is offering, maybe they wanted to be a medium-high restaurant but I don't think that they were able to achieve this, based on what they are offering.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Pearl would egde it based on my experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭girl24

Hi, OP here, thanks for all the comments. We went to Pearl in the end and I thought it was a lovely restaurant, my only negative if I had to pick one out was that the starters were too big but overall we really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Pearl by a mile... 2 miles actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Deal Buster

• Advertisement
Advertisement