Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 broadband out of bundle charges

Options
  • 24-08-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

I've a 15G monthly 3 broadband contract, costs me 19.99 for a 3MB connection (which it never achieves but that's been beaten to death on other forums). I was checking my online banking the other day, and I see a debit request for 95 euro from 3, in place of the 19.99, so I phone them (for any of you that haven't had the pleasure of dealing with the 3 robots, it's quite an experience).

Apparently they apply an out of bundle charge, up to 1.5 GB of data, at 5cent a MB, if you go over your 15GB allowance ("in case you are on an important call sir and do not wish to be disconnected"). I had maxed this extra padding they added, so I was charged an additional 75 euro this month. I received no warning when I went over the 15GB (I did eventually get disconnected for the remainder of the month and got an onscreen message stating that I had maxed my allowance), nor do I recall receiving any warning about this possibly occuring when I purchased the modem. Needless to say I've long since thrown out all documentation to do with it and so I can't say for sure if it was in any of the booklets I received with the modem at the time of purchase.

Bottom line, is there anything I can do about this 75 euro violation, or am I just going to have to take my lumps and be more watchful with my internet usage in future? I'm halfway through an 18 month contract with 3 and I'd love to just cancel the Debit in protest at what I consider to be hidden charges. Not to mention poxy service!

cheers for any opinions

Daz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Those charges should have been outlined in the contract you signed for the data bundle. Do you have any of those records?

Otherwise, the networks display all tariffs and excess charges on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dazcush wrote: »
    nor do I recall receiving any warning about this possibly occuring when I purchased the modem. Needless to say I've long since thrown out all documentation to do with it and so I can't say for sure if it was in any of the booklets I received with the modem at the time of purchase.

Bottom line, is there anything I can do about this 75 euro violation, or am I just going to have to take my lumps and be more watchful with my internet usage in future?
    You obviously didn't read the documentation and threw it out. They are not obliged to warn you when you're approaching your limit and they no doubt offer you an online facility where you can check your usage. The charges aren't hidden and are clearly available online and would have been included in the documentation that you threw out.

You can't claim that something is hidden just because you didn't see it.

You should probably be grateful that it's only 75 euro and they cut you off after the extra 1.5GB. I don't know if any of the other operators do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,690 ✭✭✭whippet

I reckon there should be a sticky added to this forum for all 'data charges' threads, there seems to be a new one each day for someone who went over their contractual limit and have been billed the agreed charge.

To the OP, your best bet is to try and talk nicely to your provider and see if they will offer you a goodwill gesture and knock a few quid off. Otherwise chalk it up to experience and read the small print in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭dazcush

Cheers lads, had a feeling that was gonna be the feedback! Sorry for the post duplication, I didn't check back too many pages (another example of me not reading available documentation!!)

I've learnt me lesson anyway!

Daz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can check your usage anytime by logging into my3 on their site. It has all your usage details, bills in PDF format, account information......no reason you couldn't keep an eye on it yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Walkman wrote: »
    You can check your usage anytime by logging into my3 on their site. It has all your usage details, bills in PDF format, account information......no reason you couldn't keep an eye on it yourself

I've lost count of the number of people I have sat down with and shown how to check their usage, most of them never knew or would never have had a hope of working it for themselves and probably forgot how to check their balance shortly after I showed them, so it would be fairer to not allow any out of bundle charging unless the user specifically requests it.

It might be very easy but its not easy enough for many of the new users that 3's advertising attracts.

On 3Pay if you run out of credit 3 manage to redirect you easily enough to a web page to give them more money so no reason they can't have something like a 3 usage tool bar that shows you exactly what your usage is or disconect bill pay users when there allowance is up and redirect them to a webpage that asks them to confirm that they want to pay whatever the rate is to continue.

It is up to the individual to read the small print but when time and time again people don't it should be up to the service provider to make it a little easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

You can set the credit limit to €0 by a quick call to their customer care. That means once the 15GB is used up the modem stops working and no out of bundle charges are incurred on the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Walkman wrote: »
    You can set the credit limit to €0 by a quick call to their customer care. That means once the 15GB is used up the modem stops working and no out of bundle charges are incurred on the account.

Why not make it the other way around, you pay for 15GB so you get 15GB unless you phone and ask for out of bundle usage, sorry forgot if you are in business that wouldn't be a very good money making idea? People wouldn't phone up for the same reasons they don't bother checking their useage so whos in the wrong?

I do tell people to phone and zero their credit but as we all know if you add an extra step to any process many people just won't bother or forget even if its in their best interest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Their out of bundle charging is ****ing redicilous! I top up by E10 a week and on monday when I topped up I said I'd tick the box that said "enable out of bundle charging", fine I thought. Nope. Ive topped up 4xE10 in the last half hour and my balance is still at 0.02 cents. If thats out of bundle charging what the ****, is it a euro for every meg or something, how much do I need to top up by to get back into the green?! Theres no facility on the site to check it. I'll be breaking this fycking dongle in two tomorrow if I find out Ive been debited 40 euro for fyck all. *****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

FearDark wrote: »
    Their out of bundle charging is ****ing redicilous! I top up by E10 a week and on monday when I topped up I said I'd tick the box that said "enable out of bundle charging", fine I thought. Nope. Ive topped up 4xE10 in the last half hour and my balance is still at 0.02 cents. If thats out of bundle charging what the ****, is it a euro for every meg or something, how much do I need to top up by to get back into the green?! Theres no facility on the site to check it. I'll be breaking this fycking dongle in two tomorrow if I find out Ive been debited 40 euro for fyck all. *****.

Why are you topping up by €10 per week, why not just top up by €25 to cover you for the month or just get a contract sim only plan. It'll half what your paying now and cut out the complication.
    Top up options are here http://three.ie/products_services/priceplans/prepay/topping-up.html#broadband , it also quit clearly states
    "
    Important!

If you don't buy an add-on, your internet usage could be charged per megabyte, (which can be a little pricey). To get the best value, make sure you always choose an add-on and ensure that the "Enable out of bundle charging" box is unticked."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shelly369

I rue the day that I switched from Vodafone - I needed to cut costs and was told when signing up with 3 that if I started on the basic package and exceeded my limit I would have to call to agree to continue on the out of bundle package and then I would have the option to upgrade to the next package; the same day my broadband was cut off I received a bill for €67 I rang to query it and was told I can go anything up to €200 over before they will cut you off! They told me about the limiter and set it to zero for me - but the following month I received a bill for €195 - after calling again I was told that setting it to zero can't be guaranteed!

I was told these are their terms & conditions - unfortunately I didn't read the terms & conditions and fell for the sales persons pitch about not being let over the limit, I contacted her and she simply said I must have misunderstood her! Her word against mine!

Customer service also told me there is no way of keeping track of my data usage but maybe I could buy some software online that would help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shelly369 wrote: »
    I rue the day that I switched from Vodafone - I needed to cut costs and was told when signing up with 3 that if I started on the basic package and exceeded my limit I would have to call to agree to continue on the out of bundle package and then I would have the option to upgrade to the next package; the same day my broadband was cut off I received a bill for €67 I rang to query it and was told I can go anything up to €200 over before they will cut you off! They told me about the limiter and set it to zero for me - but the following month I received a bill for €195 - after calling again I was told that setting it to zero can't be guaranteed!

I was told these are their terms & conditions - unfortunately I didn't read the terms & conditions and fell for the sales persons pitch about not being let over the limit, I contacted her and she simply said I must have misunderstood her! Her word against mine!

Customer service also told me there is no way of keeping track of my data usage but maybe I could buy some software online that would help!
    You must be given an accurate way of checking your remaining data allowance or you should be entitled to leave without penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This is a bit of a zombie thread, so I am closing it. In addition, there is a Talk to 3 forum, if you want to raise questions directly with some 3 representatives.

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement