Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DRAUGHTY CHIMNEY??

• 24-08-2010 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

recently moved into a new build & have been having probs with chimney, we have an open fire & when it is lit if we close the sitting room door completely the smoke starts billowing into the room, it is usually ok if you leave the room door open. would love to get this fixed so would be grateful for all suggestions or advice please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Lasereye

we had that problem for two years in new build also, most builders providers/hardwares do a simple wind deflectoer for just under a 100 euro, clamps onto any chimney in 2-3min, and works a dream, never a problem ever since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

For a chimney to work you need a draw on it,your house is pretty well sealed up and draught proof, this is what is causing the chimney to smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

homerhop wrote: »
    For a chimney to work you need a draw on it,your house is pretty well sealed up and draught proof, this is what is causing the chimney to smoke.
    What's a draw? I have the exact same problem in my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

a draw is what it to pull the smoke up the flu. When starting a fire start a small one first, and leave a window open slightly, this allows the air presure to cause the chimney to draw the smoke up. once the fire gets going for a while you should be able to close the windows and door

• Registered Users Posts: 38 inquisitive one

a draw is what it to pull the smoke up the flu. When starting a fire start a small one first, and leave a window open slightly, this allows the air presure to cause the chimney to draw the smoke up. once the fire gets going for a while you should be able to close the windows and door

Have tried this but unfortunately it does not help our problem at all but thanks for your suggestion
    we had that problem for two years in new build also, most builders providers/hardwares do a simple wind deflectoer for just under a 100 euro, clamps onto any chimney in 2-3min, and works a dream, never a problem ever since

Is this the type that spin? have seen them but was unsure if it was what i needed?

Our chimney is built from stone & as a result we also have a leak so the chimney has to come down & be rebuilt, would there be anything we could do at this point to resolve this issue or is the best solution to fit a deflector?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

You must have ventilation in the room for your fire to burn, this is also required for safety reasons.

You must have ventilation in the room for your fire to burn, this is also required for safety reasons

what is the best way to ventillate the room which will also allow for door & windows to be kept closed?

If its a modern house a room vent should have been installed during construction, if not, one should be installed.
    A 5 inch vent is recommended but 4 inch would do,this easier to install using a 110mm core cutter to drill thru' the external wall.
    If you need any more infomation PM your contact details.

If its a modern house a room vent should have been installed during construction, if not, one should be installed.
    A 5 inch vent is recommended but 4 inch would do,this easier to install using a 110mm core cutter to drill thru' the external wall.
    If you need any more infomation PM your contact details.

it is modern but there are no vents fitted at all - apart from those on the windows. I'm not sure as to why but I do know that we spent a fortune insulating the house & my oh is very reluctant to put a vent on the wall now as he feels that it will just suck the heat out of the room & thinks what was the point of insulating it to such a high spec in the first instance. In addition to this our house is clad in stone so it would be a difficult enough job to get through the stone & then the block work to fit vent. Think I will try the thing for the chimney first - fingers crossed.

Thank you all for your advice & comments.

Your flued appiiance needs a large volume of air to aid combustion, the byproducts of which are then drawn up the chimney.
    No amount cowls or other devices fitted to the chimney will compensate for this.
    The fresh air for this process must come from somewhere i.e. when you open the door it is probably drawing it in through a cooker or bathroom extractor or some other source in the house which open to the outside of your house.
    Don't forget there is a safety aspect to this as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement