Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick bus lane parish politics

• 24-08-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Why can't we have a council who cares about the whole of the city and not just a few rich residents. Who all have gardens large enough to park their cars.

I used to get bus to crescent, its one of the best bus services in limerick every 10 mins or so, but when you get on the bus you never know if its going to take 10 mins or 45 mins from city to cresent to city.

We all know the council only cares about being voted in again the next time, and out Mayor lives on the street, has a business where the bus lane should go.

I'm sure most of our council have never used a bus in their life.

Against the bus lanes

Joe Leddin
    Tom Shortt
    Jim Long
    Pat Kennedy
    Diarmuid Scully
    Denis McCarthy
    Cormac Hurley
    Maria Byrne

In favour of bus lane.

Maurice Quinlavin
    John Gilligan
    Ginger McLoughlin
    Kevin Kiely

Kieran O'Hanlon was absent
    Kathleen Leddin didn't speak
    Orla McLoughlin didn't really publicly take a side, but she proposed again that they adjourn.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Orla Mcloughglin she thinks she a celeb or something,plays the bleeding heart card well

Im very suprised that Tom Shortt and Joe Leddin are against them i always thought they seemed to be good guys
    What were their reasons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Why can't we have a council who cares about the whole of the city and not just a few rich residents. Who all have gardens large enough to park their cars.
    I used to get bus to crescent, its one of the best bus services in limerick every 10 mins or so, but when you get on the bus you never know if its going to take 10 mins or 45 mins from city to cresent to city.

We all know the council only cares about being voted in again the next time, and out Mayor lives on the street, has a business where the bus lane should go.

I'm sure most of our council have never used a bus in their life.

Against the bus lanes

Joe Leddin
    Tom Shortt
    Jim Long
    Pat Kennedy
    Diarmuid Scully
    Denis McCarthy
    Cormac Hurley
    Maria Byrne

In favour of bus lane.

Maurice Quinlavin
    John Gilligan
    Ginger McLoughlin
    Kevin Kiely

Orla McLoughlin didn't really publicly take a side, but she proposed again that they adjourn.

People had asked about getting permission to turn gardens into drive ways for their cars if the bus lane was agreed upon, but they were refused.

Also it is a bit rich for Kevin Kiely to now be on the pro bus lane side.

Funny how he was on the no side before the local elections, and only switched to the yes side after his term as mayor ended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

I think our mayor is out of touch with reality. She wants bus lanes put on the dock road or hyde road instead. Does she understand the concept and purpose of bus lanes? No buses use the dock road Maria !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

The vote has been put off till sept 13th.

I do hope our council will put the city 1st and not rich v poor. (it is the poor that get the bus)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Its a poorly thought out idea in the first place. Bus lanes or not, that stretch of road is a bottleneck as it is without adding to it further. No reason why they can't use the dock road for this. And it has nothing to do with rich vs poor, its common traffic sense.

What residential city services use the dock road ? None ! How would that help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Nothing like having disjointed bus lanes all over the city. Looks pure amateur an seriously dumb!

Feckin bus lanes to nowhere, almost as bad as the cycle lanes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

kilburn wrote: »
    What residential city services use the dock road ? None ! How would that help

Rather than put in bus lanes to suit exisiting routes, why not redesign all the routes in Limerick to make best use of the roads that are wide enough to accommodate bus lanes?

ok fair enough but what routes will use the dock road?

OConnel ave is wide enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

O'connell ave is plenty wide enough, and ballinacura is one of the widest roads in limerick.

This bus also is not just for shopping it takes a lot of people visiting regional hospital.

Its probably one of the only decent bus services in limerick.

Do limerick bus have any input?

Dont forget the Dock road has parking back again soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

The solution to this arguement is simple,

The basic governance of this city (which includes the input of bus lanes) cannot be properly carried out unless it is governed by a single local authority, ie Limerick city council, so to me, Limerick is lacking the very basic characteristic (spelt that wrong), in order to properly control the place

look at the bus service, it serves parts of county clare (shannon banks, westbury, parts of corbally etc), Limerick county (raheen,dooradoyle,ballycummen, UL etc), and Limerick city

how can a bus service properly operate under 3 different local authorities without chaos?!

it all comes down to having an extension into the areas that the busses go, ie greater suburbs

so forget about bus lanes, lets talk about the city boundary!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Rapidmike

Please please please
    shout loudly to all the councilors and to the media
    about how nessesary this lane is to limericks future
    development and just to suRvive in the short term !!!
    I have attended a meeting where all I heard was lies
    lies and more dammed lies.
    Bus lanes and cycle lanes when put on the busiest routes
    have worked all over the world WHY oh WHY!!! Is Limerick
    so dammed different ???
    It's because our councillors who would you believe WE elect
    are incompetent and incapable of organising a piss up !!!!!!
    There is loads of room on the proposed routes and there is
    space on the other side of the road , just take a photo any evening
    after 7pm !! They just don't want to cross the road or lose something
    their used to it's as simple as that .
    Please make it happen !!! Cleaner and safer for all 130,000 not just 100 residents .
    Ps .. Look what happened on the ennis rd .
    Less than 100 making sure a whole Side of a city has a bus and cycle lane
    too far away on the condell road for anyone to use
    THIS IS Not what a city council is supposed to do .
    SHOUT LOUDLY ,VERY LOUDLY

This is not

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

a bit off topic, but how did you find this out about the above 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

zing zong wrote: »

Maybe they were at the meeting?

zing zong wrote: »

It was a public meeting. There was about 120 residents there along with the political wafflers.

All it did was highlight how inept the councillors are, and how worthless their words are.

When asked direct questions, they stammered and spluttered. Many, like Kiely, had said one thing before and had argued reasons why their original points were valid, and now are saying the opposite.

Orla McLoughlin seems totally out of her depth and comes across as a nice person who does not have a clue as to what to do in her role.

Total joke of a meeting, that ended as questions were getting sticky for councillors. I guess they don't like when people remember what they said in the past, and like it even less when people have hung onto copies of interviews given by them relating to the bus lanes, and things like councillor newsletters where certain councillors made claims as to what they were looking to do.

Even more laughable was something one councillor said afterwards about the bus lane being critical for the future of Limerick City as, in that person's words, the city itself could not survive without it.

A simple thing like making sure that people with no off road parking could convert their gardens to driveways would have appeased a lot of people in the past, but that idea was dismissed a long time ago by the fools that run the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭zing zong

thanks for the info kess73

Ive since found out the time for the meeting was made public, which I didnt know at the time sadly, so didnt go, thats why i was wondering how people knew what they did

Kiely is an idiot. Orla is only there because of her dad, which is very sad, especially for those that voted for her.

Im going to try and keep up on the meetings though, not just in relation to the bus lanes, the city is going to pot, we need to be there, and to call them out on their stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,449 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

dave 27 wrote: »
    The solution to this arguement is simple,

The basic governance of this city (which includes the input of bus lanes) cannot be properly carried out unless it is governed by a single local authority, ie Limerick city council, so to me, Limerick is lacking the very basic characteristic (spelt that wrong), in order to properly control the place

look at the bus service, it serves parts of county clare (shannon banks, westbury, parts of corbally etc), Limerick county (raheen,dooradoyle,ballycummen, UL etc), and Limerick city

how can a bus service properly operate under 3 different local authorities without chaos?!

it all comes down to having an extension into the areas that the busses go, ie greater suburbs

so forget about bus lanes, lets talk about the city boundary!

so basically you want the same idiots who are making a complete balls of limerick city to manage the whole county now?
    What are you? a glutton for punishment?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    so basically you want the same idiots who are making a complete balls of limerick city to manage the whole county now?
    What are you? a glutton for punishment?:confused:

im not asking anyone to take over county limerick, just the greater (and proper) areas of the city which spill over in to the county like the areas i mentioned above, just seems retarded trying to manage one urban area under more than one council!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

They should make it like the Mulgrave street Bus Lane - Call it a "Bus Lane" but still have bloody everyone still park on it...

Behold the type of idiocy reserved for politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

The City Centre-Raheen Bus Service has been a joke for as long as I can remember.

Seems to me that the Mayor of Limerick is more concerned about selling Pints in her Family Business of Bobby Byrnes's than implementing necessary change on one of the main Arteries into the City.

- The irony is that the Patrons of that Pub shouldn't be driving home afterwards anyway.

The above point re. the Victims on O'Connell Avenue having room to park Cars in the Gardens is valid too - Suck it up - we've moved beyond the Horse & Cart you whinging Idiots - You can't choose to live in the City and then dictate on every specific as suits you.....

Can you imagine this happening in Germany or France?

- No Bus Lane because Joan and Tom want to park their Land Rover Discovery on the Street forever? Or because the Mayor is in the thick of it with massive conflicts of interest all round??????

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Reaganomical

Will the vote on Sept 13 be open to the public? Wouldn't mind going along to watch local politics in action

Will the vote on Sept 13 be open to the public? Wouldn't mind going along to watch local politics in action

Bring whatever is required to cope with and overwhelming sense of dismay, disbelief and shame.

- There's more decency, integrity and decorum in a drunken Knife-fight.......

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Thomas_B

Hi there,

Great to hear so many comments in favour of the bus lanes.

A group of us were at the council meeting this week, and we were so disgusted with the behaviour of our councillors that we decided to set up a campaign: Get Limerick Moving

We got great coverage in the city edition of the Leader this week, and we're trying to put the pressure on as much as possible. In fairness to the residents they've waged a brilliant campaign to protect their on-street parking, the danger is that the voices of people in Limerick who know that we desperately need better public transport in Limerick will not be heard.

Any support would be appreciated, in particular we're
    asking anyone who cares about this issue to get in touch
    with their local councillor (list here)

There's also a facebook page -- most of us aren't very active on facebook, so any promotion you could give the page would be gratefully received!

We've only got a few weeks until the councillors vote on this for the last time, and the campaign is less than 3 days old, so any help to spread the word would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Raiser wrote: »
    The City Centre-Raheen Bus Service has been a joke for as long as I can remember.

Seems to me that the Mayor of Limerick is more concerned about selling Pints in her Family Business of Bobby Byrnes's than implementing necessary change on one of the main Arteries into the City.

- The irony is that the Patrons of that Pub shouldn't be driving home afterwards anyway.

The above point re. the Victims on O'Connell Avenue having room to park Cars in the Gardens is valid too - Suck it up - we've moved beyond the Horse & Cart you whinging Idiots - You can't choose to live in the City and then dictate on every specific as suits you.....
    Can you imagine this happening in Germany or France?

- No Bus Lane because Joan and Tom want to park their Land Rover Discovery on the Street forever? Or because the Mayor is in the thick of it with massive conflicts of interest all round??????

With all due respect you are talking rubbish, and I don't say that in a mocking manner. City councillors should not be letting people think that was an option, and then keeping quiet until after people had applied for permission to convert their own gardens into parking spaces instead of using the side of the road to park, and being refused permission to park on their own property.

There are a lot of people affected who are not waelthy or the owners of fancy Land Rover Discoverys. The Ballinacurra road section has a lot of people in their 60's and 70's who also tried to get permission to turn their own gardens into driveways, thus removing their cars from the roadside, and they were refused this option.

A number of times since this process started in the first half of the 00's, the local authorities have managed to leave out information, give vague information, and in the case of one councillor, giving information that was incorrect.

A lot of people have being using the arguement that the bus lane will allow people to get to the likes of the Crescent shopping centre, the regional Hospital, and the Raheen industrial estate is quicker times. I would love for somebody to explain how as there is NO bus lane being built on the outbound lane, and if anyone takes the time to look at the plans for the outbound lane on Ballinacurra road, it will become obvious that the proposed outbound set up will slow traffic going that direction as the positions for the bus stops are in the actual outbound lane, so all traffic will have to stop each time the bus stops.

For the bus lanes to have an actual effect in the manner the political spoofers are claiming, there would have to be both an inbound and outbound lane, and both lanes would have to go from the city centre the whole way to Raheen Church. But surprise surprise, that is not on the agenda, so all that is being proposed is a single inbound lane, that will not cover the whole length of the inbound journey.

My arguement is a very simple one. Either the city council does a proper job and puts genuine bus lanes that have a genuine positive effect on the route both ways or don't bother. A half assed plan is worthless.

The next meeting should be open to the public again, anyone who wants to see how inept the councillors and planners are should go along, I can assure you that sitting and listening will be an eye opener. When you have "qualified" planners who answer the question of what will the benefits of having one lane that partially covers the distance with "because it is better" and give no other details, then people are right to have doubts as to what the final work would actually be like if it went ahead.

Good points well made Kess - Thanks ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

You know what would solve all of this??? :pac:

Raiser wrote: »
    Good points well made Kess - Thanks ;)

I have been to a few of the meetings, due to my mother being a resident on Ballinacurra road, plus when the earlier plans were being discussed etc I was a resident on the other end of that road before moving to where I am in Dooradoyle now. I am not against the idea of a bus lane at all. But I am against the idea of a badly planned bus lane that does not do what is being claimed about it.

It bugs me when people say it is badly needed and would cut down on bus times going out of town when nothing at all is planned to improve the outbound journey. Also from talking to councillors on the matter, they seem to be basing their traffic figures and time improvements from the single bus lane on traffic numbers in the summer months, and ignoring the fact that the road gains a hell of a lot of extra traffic during the school and college year, so if you are on an outbound bus and the bus stops and the driving lane for cars etc are all the one thing, then expect the outbound journey to actually take longer.

Another reason why some residents wanted to turn their own gardens into driveways is because of the fact that a hell of a lot of people who work in town park their cars on the side of the street there and then walk or bus into town, leaving the cars there all day, which in some cases mean that residents cannot park anywhere near their own homes at all until well into the evening, so basic things like going shopping can become a major effort if you have to park a half mile or more from your own home. Now this does not apply to everyone on the road of course, and the outbound side generally has off road parking at the front of their houses.

• Advertisement

zuroph wrote: »
    You know what would solve all of this??? :pac:

A Monorail. :D

Advertisement