Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limerick bus lane parish politics

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Oscar K

Why can't we have a council who cares about the whole of the city and not just a few rich residents. Who all have gardens large enough to park their cars.

I used to get bus to crescent, its one of the best bus services in limerick every 10 mins or so, but when you get on the bus you never know if its going to take 10 mins or 45 mins from city to cresent to city.

We all know the council only cares about being voted in again the next time, and out Mayor lives on the street, has a business where the bus lane should go.

I'm sure most of our council have never used a bus in their life.

Against the bus lanes

Joe Leddin
    Tom Shortt
    Jim Long
    Pat Kennedy
    Diarmuid Scully
    Denis McCarthy
    Cormac Hurley
    Maria Byrne

In favour of bus lane.

Maurice Quinlavin
    John Gilligan
    Ginger McLoughlin
    Kevin Kiely

Kieran O'Hanlon was absent
    Kathleen Leddin didn't speak
    Orla McLoughlin didn't really publicly take a side, but she proposed again that they adjourn.

The rich v poor argument is a load of cr*p to be honest. I live on that stretch of road and I'm certainly not rich. Neither do I have a garden big enough to park a car in as you like to seem to think! What about all the elderly people that live on that road, some of which will have to walk almost 80 metres with their shopping to get to their homes. Some of those people are well into their 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I never said all the residents on that road were rich. I said a few :)
    At least all the old people will have a bus stop close by + free bus pass.

I never said all the residents on that road were rich. I said a few :)
    At least all the old people will have a bus stop close by + free bus pass.

There won't be any additional bus stops so it will still be quite a walk for alot of the elderly residents. I know in theory it seems like a good idea but for the small stretch of road it will cover versus the effect it will have on the area/people it just doesn't compare. People will have to park their cars on Lifford Ave which isn't long enough to accomodate all of the Lifford Ave residents' cars AND Ballinacurra Road residents' cars so where do we go then? we cant put a parking space at the front of our houses because the houses are about to be listed therefore no work can be carried to amend the front of the house. i can go on and on put its probably pointless since some people have made their minds up already on this issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Oscar K wrote: »
    There won't be any additional bus stops so it will still be quite a walk for alot of the elderly residents. I know in theory it seems like a good idea but for the small stretch of road it will cover versus the effect it will have on the area/people it just doesn't compare. People will have to park their cars on Lifford Ave which isn't long enough to accomodate all of the Lifford Ave residents' cars AND Ballinacurra Road residents' cars so where do we go then? we cant put a parking space at the front of our houses because the houses are about to be listed therefore no work can be carried to amend the front of the house. i can go on and on put its probably pointless since some people have made their minds up already on this issue

All the houses on the left side of Ballinacurra Road have car parking spaces in their gardens, these are simply not used, Also because of this there are no official spaces on the left side of Balinacurra Rd. All cars parked here are illegally done so.

There are enough spaces on the right to accommodate the cars from the houses on the right, and will still be enough when the lane is put in. If you look at the link i posted earlier, you'll see that in the first two pictures there are still going to be spaces on the right hand side, there will also be new spaces created on the left hand side where there are currently none.

foinse wrote: »
    All the houses on the left side of Ballinacurra Road have car parking spaces in their gardens, these are simply not used, Also because of this there are no official spaces on the left side of Balinacurra Rd. All cars parked here are illegally done so.

There are enough spaces on the right to accommodate the cars from the houses on the right, and will still be enough when the lane is put in. If you look at the link i posted earlier, you'll see that in the first two pictures there are still going to be spaces on the right hand side, there will also be new spaces created on the left hand side where there are currently none.

You are wrong in saying that there is car parking spaces in every garden for the houses on the LHS of the road. This is certainly not the case.

Enough research has been carried out to discover that there will not be enough room for cars to park on Ballinacurra Road. A surevy has been carried out to determine how many cars there are in conjunction with the amount of car parking space available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Every1 on the entire road should park there cars there and block the work from being carried out, Id love to see any councillor who doesnt live in a mansion...and private garden, lose his parking space outside his house to a bus lane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

I think there was a thread on this but was closed (open to correction).

What were the reasons again, for objections to this bus lane?

Pity it was turned down, because it would have definitely helped with the traffic flow and bus delays that are endemic along that route.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I think there was a thread on this but was closed (open to correction).

What were the reasons again, for objections to this bus lane?

Pity it was turned down, because it would have definitely helped with the traffic flow and bus delays that are endemic along that route.

With pleasure ;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67781429

Let me know if you want me to merge your thread with that one. :)

With pleasure ;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67781429

Let me know if you want me to merge your thread with that one. :)

Do sure. Article on the front of the Post about the High Court decision here for anyone interested.

Finally common sence provails....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

The needs of the few, outweigh the needs of the many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Joke of a decision can not understand why people are so anti progress

kilburn wrote: »

People will do strange things for the sake of parking a car.

kilburn wrote: »

How exactly is a bus lane progress??? It simply holds every1 else uyp and causes further traffic james further out on the route, remove all the bus lanes and every1 will get around much quicker...they are a complete waste of time and 1 for one dont want any...

I am fed up being stuck in traffic everyday whilst an empty bus lanes runs all the way in, and taxi drivers with no passengers fly past as well which isnt allowed either...get rid...

steveon wrote: »
    How exactly is a bus lane progress??? It simply holds every1 else uyp and causes further traffic james further out on the route, remove all the bus lanes and every1 will get around much quicker...they are a complete waste of time and 1 for one dont want any...

I am fed up being stuck in traffic everyday whilst an empty bus lanes runs all the way in, and taxi drivers with no passengers fly past as well which isnt allowed either...get rid...

They are put in to promote the use of public transport. Large parts of Dublin have had them for years now and you don't hear them complaining.

The idea is to take people out of cars and onto buses, which leads to less traffic.

It's something which should be encouraged more vocally, but since this Ireland, it's done in a half-assed way.

Imagine how much money you'd save on petrol by buying a monthly bus pass to commute. Granted the service is shoddy atm, but the addition of bus lanes gets buses running more efficiently.

This is progress. It's not a panacea, just progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

steveon wrote: »

They're not going to put in second lanes in on any of those roads,as a safety concern,so removing the bus lane would make no difference to you being stuck in traffic anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

The rest of the civilised world has bus lanes so why cant we? Oh yes the mayor needs her parking space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

They are put in to promote the use of public transport. Large parts of Dublin have had them for years now and you don't hear them complaining.

The idea is to take people out of cars and onto buses, which leads to less traffic.

It's something which should be encouraged more vocally, but since this Ireland, it's done in a half-assed way.Imagine how much money you'd save on petrol by buying a monthly bus pass to commute. Granted the service is shoddy atm, but the addition of bus lanes gets buses running more efficiently.

There is my objection to the bus lane. If done properly, and without the BS of council members claiming one thing at one meeting and then going the other way at the next meeting, then bus lanes would be a great addition to the city.

But half assed methods with a section of bus lane being planned for one part of town and then another section elsewhere and with no confirmed plans to make the bus lanes run as close as possible to full routes, the whole things falls flat on it's ass.

Who wouldn't want clean buses that arrive on time and get you to where you want to go on time? When I lived in Southern Germany I loved their bus and rail service, and would gladly use a service run as well as that over here. Sadly the plans that were on display for the bus lane in question in this thread, and the lack of follow up plans make the thought of such a well run system here a bit of a pipe dream imho.

A quality public transport set up coupled with a large pedestrainised area in the town centre with plenty of full retail units and other amenities would be a winner in my eyes. Just a shame that there are self servers carrying the power of decision for those projects.

It's something which should be encouraged more vocally, but since this Ireland, it's done in a half-assed way.

Imagine how much money you'd save on petrol by buying a monthly bus pass to commute. Granted the service is shoddy atm, but the addition of bus lanes gets buses running more efficiently.

Firstly I work on the roads so a bus does not serve my purpose, I used to get the bus to work and they were never ever on time and this was when I worked in Shannon so there was no delays, the recently introduced bus lanes all over the town and then the newly installed traffic lights that serve no purpose other than slow every1 down.

They put a BUS lane in from Castletroy and then got rid of half of the scheduled bus runs so that is not progress. Get rid of the bus lanes, and get rid of the lights not needed, put sensors on the rest of the lights and then every1 will move, then there is no need for bus lanes.

Secondly people in Dublin do complain about bus lanes, its not just in Limerick. The difference between Limerick and Europe is our road infastructure is two narrow and our road planners cant build and design a proper road...their constant excuse is we didnt expect that much traffic to come along here....that is the worse excuse I HAVE EVER HEARD and its all ready posted on the other thread regarding the new traffic lights installed in thomandgate and beside Barringtons Hospital, these traffic delays are only casing more delays and so unless a bus lane runs the entire route they are a waste of time....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The plans for this bus lane have seemingly been shelved...on 95FM site
    Contentious plans for a bus lane along the Ballincurra Road in Limerick city have been withdrawn after the City Council didn't allocate enough time for public consultation.
    Councillor Joe Leddin says it had been planned to discuss the matter at this month's council meeting but the application has been withdrawn, further delaying the fourmillion euro project.
    Earlier this year residents in the area won a High Court case when it found the local authoity didn't adhere to the proper planning guidelines.
    Councillor Leddin is describing the whole project as a fiasco...

http://www.live95fm.ie/news/news-item/bus-lane-plans-withdrawn/87536e06-bc87-4923-97dd-8464915398fa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Well, by all accounts, this bus lane got the go-ahead at a council meeting on Monday night last 10th. October.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick_city_council_approves_controversial_proposal_for_ballinacurra_road_bus_lane_1_3137725

This seems to have been going on for the longest of time. Just wondering, will there be compensation for the residents? While those on the left hand side out to the Crescent SC have large gardens,the access to the lane is blocked off by bollards so no cars can drive to the back of their residents. The only other way is to "convert" their front gardens into parking spaces...some houses have done that already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

the lane way at the back of those houses is to be converted to this

http://limerickcity.ie/Transport/MajorProjects/LimerickSouthernGreenRouteJune2011/10_081_212.pdf

suitseir wrote: »
    Well, by all accounts, this bus lane got the go-ahead at a council meeting on Monday night last 10th. October.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/limerick_city_council_approves_controversial_proposal_for_ballinacurra_road_bus_lane_1_3137725

This seems to have been going on for the longest of time. Just wondering, will there be compensation for the residents? While those on the left hand side out to the Crescent SC have large gardens,the access to the lane is blocked off by bollards so no cars can drive to the back of their residents. The only other way is to "convert" their front gardens into parking spaces...some houses have done that already.

That idea was proposed at one of the meeting and the residents were told that permission would not be granted for that idea.

sonyair wrote: »
    the lane way at the back of those houses is to be converted to this

http://limerickcity.ie/Transport/MajorProjects/LimerickSouthernGreenRouteJune2011/10_081_212.pdf

And that will open up a whole heap of trouble again if that goes ahead. At the Portland Park/Ballinacurra gardens end of that lane, an electronic security gate had to be fitted due to the amount of damage being doing in the area by scum who were using that lane as an escape route/drinking spot/place to burn cars etc. Also on a number of the entrances to that lane from the main Ballinacurra road you will see large steel gates/fences blocking the lane, these are also in place thanks to what the scum were doing in the area. If that lane gets opened up as in the plans, then it will be open season on the area by the scum again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Kess73 wrote: »
    And that will open up a whole heap of trouble again if that goes ahead. At the Portland Park/Ballinacurra gardens end of that lane, an electronic security gate had to be fitted due to the amount of damage being doing in the area by scum who were using that lane as an escape route/drinking spot/place to burn cars etc. Also on a number of the entrances to that lane from the main Ballinacurra road you will see large steel gates/fences blocking the lane, these are also in place thanks to what the scum were doing in the area. If that lane gets opened up as in the plans, then it will be open season on the area by the scum again.

Well, from looking at the plan, it looks like a complete re-haul of the area will be undertaken with lighting and cctv and it has been proven in the past, that enhancement of neglected areas such as this lane, can yield positive results. Relations of ours have been living there for over 40 years and have never had any problems from this lane TG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

So one side of the street loses parking and one side keeps parking. If this ends up anything like Mulgrave Street then people will just continue to park in the bus lanes. :rolleyes:

Beer Baron wrote: »
    So one side of the street loses parking and one side keeps parking. If this ends up anything like Mulgrave Street then people will just continue to park in the bus lanes. :rolleyes:

The bus lane in ballinacurra will be outside of the parking spaces and with mulgrave street most of the bus lane has specific times on which it operates where ballinacurra will be 24hrs

The bus lane in ballinacurra will be outside of the parking spaces and with mulgrave street most of the bus lane has specific times on which it operates where ballinacurra will be 24hrs

Oops. Ok, what about people who are losing their parking on the outbound side. Surely they will object strongly to this and just park on the road and/or half on the footpath.

they did object and the council are to provide parking at the back of said houses, if the residents want to park on the road or half of the footpath well off they go but they might get fined or even their car missing for doing so by the means of being towed, its a sticky situation that won't go away

• Advertisement

they did object and the council are to provide parking at the back of said houses, if the residents want to park on the road or half of the footpath well off they go but they might get fined or even their car missing for doing so by the means of being towed, its a sticky situation that won't go away

Parking around the back of the houses will not work well for them. Look at Moyross, Carew Park and Southill. Rear parking never ever works as it attracts crime. (Having lived in Carew Park with rear parking).

Ah well. I expect the residents to have some protest when the project is completed anyway.

Advertisement