Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The famous let down lie....

• 24-08-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

hi everyone,

i'm just finished my honours degree and applied for a load of jobs. the ones that i got interviews all said that "i don't have enough experience"

like hello like!! how can you get experience if no one will take you on. how can me and anyone in the same situation get out of this vicious circle??

can't do relief in my field (social care) as it won't pay the bills. am still doing my part time job an hour away from where i live as i wanted to move down with my OH as soon as i finished college.

please help!!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭green909

why not try an get an internship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

mollybird wrote: »
    like hello like!! how can you get experience if no one will take you on. how can me and anyone in the same situation get out of this vicious circle??

can't do relief in my field (social care) as it won't pay the bills. am still doing my part time job an hour away from where i live as i wanted to move down with my OH as soon as i finished college.
    Voluntary work or relief are the only options really. The reality is that there is a freeze on recruitment to the public sector (which would fund most jobs in the area you mention), so jobs in the area will be very tight at the moment ... for any job that is advertised, there will probably be applicants with 3 - 10 years experience under their belt. Realistically, employers are going to take the experienced person ... so it's up to you to get some experience in whatever way you can if this is really the area you want to work in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

To be honest, you're going to have a hard time.

As randy said, there's a recruitment freeze on, so unless you're willing to work for free/internship, you've no other option.

Unfortunately, you're not on your own.

Advertisement