Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is the tallaght exchange located?

• 24-08-2010 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Im going to get ADSL2+ from Magnet and i want to find out where the tallaght exchange is located so i can determin the distance from my house.
    I can then see what sort of speeds i can get on the up to 24mb broadband package.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

It is near the Airton Road/Belgard Road junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Advertkriz

Cheers mate thanks for that.So it looks like im about 3.5 - 4km from the exchange, does anyone have any idea of ADSL2+ speeds i can get?(approx)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Advertkriz wrote: »
    Cheers mate thanks for that.So it looks like im about 3.5 - 4km from the exchange, does anyone have any idea of ADSL2+ speeds i can get?(approx)

internode-adsl2-dist07.jpg

Thanks for that mate.
    Well its not looking good for my 24mb broadband then.By the looks of it i will be getting 6 to 7mb max.
    I really hope your wrong about the location of the tallaght exchange lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

oooh, as the crow flies, im just over 1k!! full speed for me (if i ever need an upgrade)! ;)

actually, are u sure its not in IT Tallaght? thats just down the road there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just remember that your phone line may not take the most direct route to the exchange.

It can also depend on the type of cable used. Some newer cabling systems provide much better DSL results as they have better signal carrying characteristics than older cabling. It also depends on the diameter of the wires and the type of metal used.

So, there are a lot of variables :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Actually, dont UPC do fibre? Its plastered all over their brochures and website! Surely fibre has a greater tolerance for distance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They do fiber-to-node / curb.

It's still coaxial cable to your house but it will happily take up to 120mbits. A huge amount more bandwidth than the single twisted copper pair eircom provide and line length is not an issue as it has to be good enough quality to carry tv signals.

UPC do broadband in 99% of tallaght,but not my area lol.They stopped there upgrades about 100meters away from my house aaarrrgggggg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Advertkriz wrote: »
    UPC do broadband in 99% of tallaght,but not my area lol.They stopped there upgrades about 100meters away from my house aaarrrgggggg

Same here. An Estate only a couple of hundred yards have UPC BB and we can't get it. BUT, was talking to a guy today who said they are doing a survey of my area and hope to start laying cable in a couple of months.

He reckons My Estate will be up and running by Spring as well as several other areas in Tallaght not yet getting BB

• Advertisement
Advertisement