Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Da Cooley thriller

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 pbull69

I'm going!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

I'm going also, I did it last year and about half way through i wanted my mammy! But i was only cycling about six weeks, I still dont know what i was thinking. anyway this year my goal is to try and knock an hour of my time, so start to finish in four hours. I still think i am asking alot of myself lol. but it is a great course, if you like big and long climbs:confused: I am still looking forward too it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

I'll hopefully be there too. I did a 10km section of the lap on Monday evening and the grassy parts were a bit soggy and heavy. With some luck (and a bit of wind!) it'll dry out a bit by Saturday.
    Davey101, four hours would be a good time, he's added an extra 7km to the lap this year, I think it brings it up to 52km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Never done a marathon type event before,so a quick question.Are there water/feed stations on the Cooley Thriller,or is it a case of bringing the 3 liter Camalback and a load of gels/bars/banana's??There is no mention of feedstations on the Cooley website.Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭mtbireland

yes they have feed stations around the course...

and usually you can give them any extra bottles to bring to the feed zones for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 shnoop

Anyone know how much to enter?

"Well lads if any one is bored and looking for a day trip out we're running a mtb marathon in the cooley mountains on Saturday the 28 august, cost E25,pasta,massage and spot prizes afterwards. Its gonna be well signposted as we,re all taking the day off before hand to get the course marked out as best as we can. Theres no one day license fee as we're trying to keep the price down hopefully this will suit all our weekend warriors out there who want to step up to the plate and take on the might of over 32km of beautiful flowing single track. Total distance will be roughly shy of 55km, we want to make this a race for the fast guys and an awesome fun day out for the rest of us who aren't so quick. It'll take between 3hrs 20 for the winner roughly and up to 7 hrs for the bikers who are looking value for money! We also have a shorter 17km route fo beginners and anyone new to racing, so theres no excuses not to do it, for more info just google da cooley thriller, Hope to see yous all there!"

taken from here...

http://mtbireland.com/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=1447

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

......yes I read somewhere that there would be food and water stops.

This is going to be a good one... weather been good the past few days and drying up nicely. Big entry expected too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Can't do this and am a bit gutted.
    Might bring the kids up to watch it though, any suggestions for viewing points?

• Advertisement

Well the first section is mainly tarmac so you can drive right to the top of the mast and see the riders coming up or walk down the descent a bit and watch them coming down the black run .... not too far a walk if you have kids.... you could then whizz around to Lumpers and catch them there before flying around to the finish....

Another good spot is the final climb... up the old roman road to the back of slieve foy.... it's just off the main road and I think you can drive up to it although I'm not 100% sure of that...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=carlingford+ireland&sll=-33.782959,151.047707&sspn=0.051649,0.1054&g=carlingford&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Carlingford,+County+Louth,+Ireland&ll=54.032773,-6.2278&spn=0.004562,0.013175&t=h&z=17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Fantastic days racing, so much climbing but some great single track and stunning views. i never stopped at the first feed station but such a welcome it was to have the girls there with smiling faces and the fruit i was in agony by that stage. Well done to cuchulain CC for another great race well marked course and the super pasta at the end.
    Roll on next year

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tomc

Thats was a killer, much harder than expected. Got very tired near the end which led to me clearing the handlebars twice on the final descent.
    My body does not want to function today

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

What a day! 52k mostly off road through the Cooley mountains,brilliant! great day was very tough lots of climbing,some chap who has rode the Ras a few times said it was like a 4 hr time trial! well done Cuchulain cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

I only did the short course but still great fun:) The road bike could be going into retirement:D

Well done to those that took part... it's a tough old loop up there with plenty of climbing to test people. Great turnout too... must have been 250 people taking part... For all those road buys that like taking part in events like the Wicklow 200 you would love something like this.. you can race it or just ride the loop and just enjoy the views and the trails and just ride to finish....

Advertisement