Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the transfer window end before the season begins?

• 24-08-2010 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭

Recently there has been a lot in the media about players refusing to play matches because they want a transfer. Squillaci withdrew himself from the CL qualifiers because he wanted to transfer to Arsenal. Now if had gone ahead and played the match he would have been cup-tied and a less attractive option for Arsenal and the move probably would not have gone ahead.

Mascherano last night reportedly refused to play because he wanted a transfer to Barcelona, this forced Roy to change his starting 11 and possibly his tactics.

Would it be better if the transfer window ended before the league began and the Europa/CL qualifiers began preventing circumstances like these.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Get rid of the Transfer Window altogether!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

I don't like the transfer window(s) at all - but you can't just say that they should open and close with the PL season, as opposed to La Liga, the Russian League, the eircom League or anything else.

Just scrap them altogether I say. I'm always amazed the EU went for the idea at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Yeah but in a year where there is a World Cup, like this year, It really would not be enough time to do business when you take in players holidays on top of that.

I myself think there should be no transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Thinking about it in relation to the Bosman ruling. I think it may be a little illegal.

Put it in working terms for me.

I can only change employers in a 3 month window in the Summer and a month window in January.

I'd be a little p*ssed off if I got a new job offer in February but couldn't take it up.

Also

If I could only work for 2 companies in one year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

ki wrote: »
    Thinking about it in relation to the Bosman ruling. I think it may be a little illegal.

Put it in working terms for me.

I can only change employers in a 3 month window in the Summer and a month window in January.

I'd be a little p*ssed off if I got a new job offer in February but couldn't take it up.

Also

If I could only work for 2 companies in one year?

But you have signed a contract saying you'll work for said "company" for x years ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Why was it introduced in the first place ?

It distrotes the market as explained above and it also inflates transfer fees in January.

Come January some teams may be in with a shot of a European place and others may be in a relegation dog fight

Those teams will over pay for players that they feel will solve their short term needs (Europe or safety) from January to the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yup.
    Yes
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    Get rid of the Transfer Window altogether!
    Yes to this aswell. Shouldnt it fall under some EU "restriction of trade" legislation or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I must be one of few who actually like the transfer window, if players could transfer all year long do you not think things would become a bit more hectic? As said above they can't just open and close it to suit the EPL either, what about all the other leagues, it would be impossible to suit everyone. The way it is now with the summer and January windows it means that most league either half way through or just beginning have a chance to sign some players for the up coming season. Works fine imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Transfer Deadline Day is pretty awesome to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Xavi6 wrote: »

The January transfer window is a crock of sh*t though. Summer one is ok I suppose.

That_Guy wrote: »
    The January transfer window is a crock of sh*t though. Summer one is ok I suppose.

Summer Deadline Day 2008 will never be beaten. Epic, and for that alone I salute the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

It is, that day is a major date in my diary! Love the excitement even if they make it up sometimes,

Still though, I'd rather it be gone, i miss the surprise signings during the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

That_Guy wrote: »

I always thought that the January window was to because of League slike Russia so that they have a chance before the season starts to improve there squads. Would be unfair on them leagues if they could only buy players half way through there season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    But you have signed a contract saying you'll work for said "company" for x years ;)

Break your contract and you will have to pay a Transfer Fee, as the rule is at the moment.

Out of Contract no Fee.

But are they right to say you can only break your contract at certain times of the year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

ki wrote: »
    Break your contract and you will have to pay a Transfer Fee, as the rule is at the moment.

Out of Contract no Fee.

But are they right to say you can only break your contract at certain times of the year?

Technically you could break your contract at any time of the year you so please, you just can't register with the appropriate bodies to be eligible to play for a new club contract signed or not.

The transfer window was brought in iirc to have more of a control of the spending going on but to be honest it has introduced it's own version of panic buying also. FIFA went through discussions about all of this with the EU afaik also so it's perfectly legal to have these registration windows.

and the January transfer window for those who complain about it was included so that clubs had an opportunity to sign players during the season if they felt the need so that if they had massive injury problems in a certain area of the pitch then that wouldn't mean their season was over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think the current Transfer window periods are good, you have a few months before the season satrts and you have a month more or less right in the middle of most domestic seasons to improve your squad or sell any dead wood.

If it came down to anything though id suggest dropping them all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Do you work for SSN or something?

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Do you work for SSN or something?

Not at all, I just happen to like all the excitement.

Posted from Easltands via mobile device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Summer Deadline Day 2008 will never be beaten. Epic, and for that alone I salute the transfer window.

If the transfer window ends before season starts you'll still have your mighty sky news 24 hour countdown day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Recently there has been a lot in the media about players refusing to play matches because they want a transfer. Squillaci withdrew himself from the CL qualifiers because he wanted to transfer to Arsenal. Now if had gone ahead and played the match he would have been cup-tied and a less attractive option for Arsenal and the move probably would not have gone ahead.

Mascherano last night reportedly refused to play because he wanted a transfer to Barcelona, this forced Roy to change his starting 11 and possibly his tactics.

Would it be better if the transfer window ended before the league began and the Europa/CL qualifiers began preventing circumstances like these.

which league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭fingalgooner

From what i can see this has mostly come about because of the players refusing to play as they are 'not in the right frame of mind' but what it really means is that they do not want to be cup-tied. ie, Begovic(Stoke to Chelsea) and Squilaci(Seville to Arsenal) yes i know Mascherano was playing in the domestic league as was Lescott last year.
    Would it be better if you could not be cup-tied until the end of the summer transfer window, however it would apply in Jan window.
    That way clubs would not be telling agents to tell their player not to play in cup comps, clubs could play said players without de-valuing the price of their player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

In fairness, it is not ! This is coming from a West Ham fan who woke up on 31st August 2006 to hear that Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano were about to sign.

As has been mentioned it distorts the market, restricts freedom of movement for players, restricts trade, and it promotes panicked spending amongst clubs who cannot afford it These are all moral negatives, before one even gets to the footballing drawbacks. Some of the fees paid by clubs during transfer window times are obscene, and the window is used to hold clubs to ransom.

It is appalling that transfers cannot be made by teams who may be in desperate need for a player to sign to mitigate for the loss of players in a particular position. Last term West Ham had two experienced strikers available to them between August and January 31st. For the sake of an exciting day, it is simply not worth it.

Advertisement