Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One Eye or Two?

Options
  • 24-08-2010 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Just a quick poll to see how many eyes you use if/when you shoot different situations.
    Thanks
    Oops, sorry, forgot to make multiple choice - trying to fix...

Mods - Cannot seem to find a delete button to start anew, nor can I edit the poll - any help would be appreciated.

Please delete and I'll start again, unless we can change the poll to MC.

Delete button disappeared?!?

How many eyes do you have open while actually taking the shot 141 votes

Shotgun - one eye
    0%
    Shotgun - two eyes
    7%
    Double BarrelPrivate Snafukkelly77kay 9Hibrionknockonghostmantrabang2Justashotgunmonte 10 votes
    Rifle - one eye
    21%
    DusterFazer6RovihomerhopDouble BarrelManic Moranbogtealmallardsjap gtcavan shooterJ.R.Scalachijimmyzxfoxshooter243[Deleted User]Mr MolegreenpeterronnendasmailDeerspotter 30 votes
    Rifle - two eyes
    19%
    LB6Double BarrelManic Moranbogteallandkeeperjap gtcavan shooterJ.R.Scalachijimmyzx[Deleted User]Mr MolegreenpeterronnHibrionghostmantraThomasofmelErkmurphy125yog1 28 votes
    Pistol - one eye
    11%
    SparksrrpcFazer6RovihomerhopManic MoranIRLConorfoxshooter243kay 9sharky0922DeerspottervirminhunterdCorbusbang2Holdovertac foley 16 votes
    Pistol - two eyes
    4%
    kkelly77foxshooter243knockonDeerspotterErkferreteFISMA 7 votes
    Bow - one eye
    7%
    SparksFazer6RoviDouble BarrelManic MoranScalachiMr MoleThomasofmeltac foleykildare.17hmr 10 votes
    Bow - two eyes
    0%
    kkelly77 1 vote
    Competition - one eye
    8%
    SparksFazer6Double Barrelcavan shooter[Deleted User]Mr MoleHibrionThomasofmelferreteFISMAtac foleykildare.17hmr 12 votes
    Competition - two eyes
    0%
    knockon 1 vote
    Competition - two eyes open , one covered
    5%
    Fazer6cavan shooterScalachi[Deleted User]Mr MoleThomasofmelferretetac foley 8 votes
    Sporting Shotgun - one eye
    3%
    SparksLB6Manic MoranIRLConorIrish Springer 5 votes
    Sporting Shotgun - two eyes
    0%
    Double Barrel 1 vote
    Sporting Shotgun - two eyes open , one covered
    8%
    Fazer6Double Barrelbogtealjap gtcavan shooterScalachijimmyzx[Deleted User]marlin vsThomasofmelferreteFISMA 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pistol - one eye
    The short answer to your poll is that you should always have both eyes open when shooting. Closing one eye strains the other eye and your eyes get fatigued much quicker.

I'm cross-dominant and so will close my dominant (left) eye briefly a couple of times whilst settling but will always shoot with both eyes open. I noticed (I think it was) Berg shooting in the prone rifle final in Munich did the same thing before each shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

Poll fixed. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

Rifle - two eyes
    rrpc wrote: »
    The short answer to your poll is that you should always have both eyes open when shooting. Closing one eye strains the other eye and your eyes get fatigued much quicker.
    yes/maybe. but not really a concern in a hunting scenario is it unless they are lined up like ducks in a row:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

oops - forgot the pistol one - Conor - can you stick me into the "one eye" category please ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Thanks Conor.

I understand the theory behind two eye, however, for me, practice trumps theory, or at least causes me to revise my theory.

Anyhow, when pistol shooting I never use two eyes. Trap and skeet always two eyes.

Just wondering what others do and how the stats stack up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

LB6 wrote: »
    oops - forgot the pistol one - Conor - can you stick me into the "one eye" category please ;)

Fiddling the poll to be multiple choice is easy, but there's a good chance of me breaking the poll if I fiddle the results to add that in. Sorry.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I'm right-handed and (weakly) left eye dominant so I either need to close my left eye or cover it. If I'm shooting shotgun or pistol I typically just close my left eye but when competing in a prone match I keep it open and cover with a blind. It's very uncomfortable to shoot a 75 minute match with one eye closed a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Pistol - one eye
    keep 2 open but it doesnt really matter cos i can only see through one of them anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

homerhop wrote: »
    keep 2 open but it doesnt really matter cos i can only see through one of them anyway

+1
    Me too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Pistol - one eye
    IRLConor wrote: »
    I'm right-handed and (weakly) left eye dominant so I either need to close my left eye or cover it. If I'm shooting shotgun or pistol I typically just close my left eye but when competing in a prone match I keep it open and cover with a blind. It's very uncomfortable to shoot a 75 minute match with one eye closed a lot of the time.
    I used to use the Anschutz cap with the side flaps but since they became illegal his presidentialness gave me two warnings and a Mec visor :D, so I started using a blinder.

I've stopped using it now because I prefer to be able to see the wind flags and the blinder wasn't really helping anyway, I think it made things worse tbh.

So a couple of blinks of the left eye and the dominant eye retreats to the background and if it starts getting uppity again I give it another quick blink and it works out fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

They say point a shotgun aim a rifle, in saying that I find when Im target shooting (I squint more than close an eye)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Wheres the "from the hip" option :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

rrpc wrote: »

I'm cross-dominant and so will close my dominant (left) eye briefly a couple of times whilst settling but will always shoot with both eyes open. I noticed (I think it was) Berg shooting in the prone rifle final in Munich did the same thing before each shot.

Short answers usually leave important bits out.

In shotgun shooting two eyes open help you to more easily acquire the quarry, judge its speed and distance. Most cross-dominant game shooters close or partially close (like me) the dominant eye before firing.

I've tried patches on shooting glasses, etc., but was not successful in the field.
    FWIW
    P.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

I can't vote as there's no option for "both eyes closed" :(

:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Although I normally shoot both eyes open for peripheral vision, there are times when I'm attempting to discriminate a particular object when I just have to reduce the interference of the other eye. In competition, this is done with a blind. On the battlefield, I just close it.

NTM

Advertisement