Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac/plc help

• 24-08-2010 5:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

I have done the leaving cert and I didnt get any offers,I wanted to apply for fetac or plc courses but most are fully booked.
    I was wondering what should I do now?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Further Ed.

Keep trying is the best advice anyone can offer, ake sure and have an application in as the colleges are operating waiting lists. Have a look outside of Dublin - although all FE colleges are reporting increasing numbers of applicants you might be lucky and be flexible with course choices. If all else fails then apply for next year. In the meantime dont forget the Higher Options Careers Fair in the RDS in Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭MakaDonVeli

Were abouts do you live and what course do you want to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

Keep your options opened..
    I'm hoping for my course.. Rang them up and asked if I needed an interview.
    They said no, at this stage we need all forms filled in and sent in ASAP.
    And there's loads of places.. I was delighted when I was told this.. Radio here I come :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

sandyford

i went to sallynoggin college today and was told to comeon friday for the interview,I was wondering did anyway apply to college of further education ,and I applied to childcare and wanted to know if anyone here has applied to it too,,and where they told what to do on the day ?

• Advertisement

I rang the college i'm going to do.. PLC in radio production.. They told me at this stage they can't do an interview so just send on Application, Birth cert and LC Results along with the 40 euro tuition fee.. Now I have to wait till I get an acceptance form back until I can do anything else. D:

I rang the college i'm going to do.. PLC in radio production.. They told me at this stage they can't do an interview so just send on Application, Birth cert and LC Results along with the 40 euro tuition fee.. Now I have to wait till I get an acceptance form back until I can do anything else. D:
    what college have you applied to?
    i went and they told me to come on friday for the interview,maybe its the course itself it fully booked not all the courses in college

Castlebar College of Further Education.
    Nah I just say they want to see what you're like.. Maybe there's still enough time for some interviews.. However mine starts soon.

Castlebar College of Further Education.
    Nah I just say they want to see what you're like.. Maybe there's still enough time for some interviews.. However mine starts soon.
    mines on friday

Your course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It is possible there will still be interviews. Sometimes people are given a place on a course then something else comes up that they prefer and they do not turn up for the PLC course, in which case the places will be filled off a waiting list or from the last round of interviews. This means that they are starting the course at very short notice, or even just after it has started.

Yeah that could be very possible.. But it depends on the demand for courses...

.. But it depends on the demand for courses...

Yes, it does, and there is a high demand this year, but it is your best option at the moment. Make enquiries at a few places and see how it goes.

Well it depends on the aspects you're getting into !

Just a point that might be of interest to applicants for PLC/FE courses - a college should not legally have two systems of recruiting applicants if the interview forms the basis of the selection procedures for the course.

So if a college interviewed and rejected applicants and then at this late stage accepted people without an interview it is unfair and any unsuccessful applicant who had been interviewed would have grounds to appeal.

The same applies if you are not interviewed and dont receive a place and the course is filled by interview.

But the interview must be used as part of the selection process for this to apply.

Soo.. Maybe if there isn't a high demand for the course.. they'll skip the interviews?

If there isn’t a high demand for the course then it is unique in the country as most FE centres are reporting over 100% increase in applications for everything, so it is more likely that they are swamped with applicants and are unable to handle the workload of interviews. But if they use two different methods of selection then they are dicing with serious problems as unsuccessful applicants can claim they were discriminated against. That is as long as the selection for entry uses the results of the interview. If the interview forms no basis for the selection of applicants but is informative then there is no grounds for appeal.

If there isn’t a high demand for the course then it is unique in the country as most FE centres are reporting over 100% increase in applications for everything, so it is more likely that they are swamped with applicants and are unable to handle the workload of interviews. But if they use two different methods of selection then they are dicing with serious problems as unsuccessful applicants can claim they were discriminated against. That is as long as the selection for entry uses the results of the interview. If the interview forms no basis for the selection of applicants but is informative then there is no grounds for appeal.

We certainly use interviews for all candidates, including the September ones, I would think they only might not interview if they had spaces and no waiting list, which is not likely this year, as you said, applications are up 100%

Alot of centres are interviewing for waiting lists and don't have places which leading to false hopes on the part of students.

As long as the interview process is fair and transparent and conducted by the same people at all times and applied across the board there is no problem but it is where some students are interviewed and others are not that the problem arises. It is like a job interview process really.

Your course?
    child care studies,ru applying too?

• Advertisement

Alot of centres are interviewing for waiting lists and don't have places which leading to false hopes on the part of students.

As long as the interview process is fair and transparent and conducted by the same people at all times and applied across the board there is no problem but it is where some students are interviewed and others are not that the problem arises. It is like a job interview process really.
    so your saying that now I have applied and going to this interview,if I do get accepted I will be placed on a waiting list for maybe next year or will I start the course?

No, the waiting list is for this year. Even though people have been offered places in FE colleges, when it comes to registration a fair few will not turn up because they have been offered something they prefer elsewhere. Those places will be offered to people on the waiting list.

Do not assume that because you are on a waiting list you will be put forward to next year, you have to re-apply.

looksee wrote: »
    No, the waiting list is for this year. Even though people have been offered places in FE colleges, when it comes to registration a fair few will not turn up because they have been offered something they prefer elsewhere. Those places will be offered to people on the waiting list.

Do not assume that because you are on a waiting list you will be put forward to next year, you have to re-apply.
    i not on a wating list I went today to the college and I was told to come on friday,i was wondering would i be put on a waiting list or not?

and could someone tell me what happens during the interview?

ayumi wrote: »
    i not on a wating list I went today to the college and I was told to come on friday,i was wondering would i be put on a waiting list or not?

and could someone tell me what happens during the interview?

You will be put on a waiting list, but that doesn't guarantee you a place, it depends on how many people are on in front of you.

The interview will be quite informal. Look tidy, as though you have made a bit of effort, make sure you have any documentation they have asked for. If they haven't said anything, take your lc results if possible. They will ask you about your educational background, your interest in the course and what you know about it (so make sure you read the brochure or look at the website), your interests - sports, hobbies, your long term plans etc.

looksee wrote: »
    You will be put on a waiting list, but that doesn't guarantee you a place, it depends on how many people are on in front of you.

The interview will be quite informal. Look tidy, as though you have made a bit of effort, make sure you have any documentation they have asked for. If they haven't said anything, take your lc results if possible. They will ask you about your educational background, your interest in the course and what you know about it (so make sure you read the brochure or look at the website), your interests - sports, hobbies, your long term plans etc.
    thanks,so your telling be that I wont be commencing this september but actually next year?

ayumi wrote: »
    thanks,so your telling be that I wont be commencing this september but actually next year?

No, as I said in the previous post, the waiting list is just for this year. I am saying that being on the waiting list is not a guarantee of a place.

If you do not get a place you should apply again in February/March 2011 for next year.

Sorry I may have caused some of confusion and anxiety above.

At your interview ask whether there are places or a waiting list in operation. The answer will allow you to decide whether you should apply elsewhere. As Looksee says there are always those who accept a place but do not turn up in September but this is increasingly uncommon as the PLC/FE route is a first choice option for many.

Best of luck

tommorw is the interview!
    is anyone here applying for a course in sallynoggin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

Have an interview tomorrow, what do you wear though?
    Shirt & tie? Full suit? Let us know.... :)

• Advertisement

Have an interview tomorrow, what do you wear though?
    Shirt & tie? Full suit? Let us know.... :)
    are going to the interview too?
    im wearing casual

Advertisement