Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fetac/plc help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ManUtdFan10

Nah man, my interview is not in Sallynoggin.

I think I will wear a shirt, slacks, shoes... dress to impress :). Just because I think there could be a few up for it & I really want it so I will do everything I can to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Nah man, my interview is not in Sallynoggin.

I think I will wear a shirt, slacks, shoes... dress to impress :). Just because I think there could be a few up for it & I really want it so I will do everything I can to get it.
    im getting nervous,its my first interview ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

I'm going for an interview in Sallynoggin tomorrow. Are you goin for the Leisure Management and Fitness Instructor?

I'm wearing shirt and tie, probably be overdressed.

hunter164 wrote: »

I'm wearing shirt and tie, probably be overdressed.

Yep, that's what I was thinking. I will probably walk in with everyone else I. Jeans & that. Ah well, at least I will look good.

I am not reallly that nervous, it's my first interview too but I am confident because I want this course & will have the answers for any questions they may have. Just relax, you'll be fine. Be confident walking in :)

Yea I probably will look like a tit but I don't care.

I've a pretty strong background in sport so I might get it. What course are yo looking to do?

• Advertisement

Yea I probably will look like a tit but I don't care.

I've a pretty strong background in sport so I might get it. What course are yo looking to do?

I am doing a media course in the hope I can go on next year to study in maynooth or dcu. Just wouldn't get near enough points to go directly into a university from the leaving cert so I have to go this route, hopefully it will he enjoyable.

Ah cool is that in Colaiste Dhulaigh?

Ah cool is that in Colaiste Dhulaigh?

Nah, it's out in dun laoghaire.

Not too far from the Noggin so.

i got a place ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ayumi wrote: »
    i got a place ^_^
    Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it.

i got a place ^_^

Fair play, what are ya doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Would it be acceptable to go to an interview dressed slightly informally? (Obviously I'll put the effort in, but I don't want to be overdressed in a suit or something!) And I don't need to bring registration fee money with me on the day in case by some luck I get offered a place, do I?

I've got two interviews, one for a media course and another for journalism. I have exmaples of my writing, but can anyone tell me how much is too much? (Or too little!) Also, have any of you applied for the maintenance grant yet?

Fair play, what are ya doing?
    childcare

Would it be acceptable to go to an interview dressed slightly informally? (Obviously I'll put the effort in, but I don't want to be overdressed in a suit or something!) And I don't need to bring registration fee money with me on the day in case by some luck I get offered a place, do I?

I've got two interviews, one for a media course and another for journalism. I have exmaples of my writing, but can anyone tell me how much is too much? (Or too little!) Also, have any of you applied for the maintenance grant yet?
    most pple I had seen today were wearing casual and you do need to bring at least 50 euro for regerstion and i didnt apply for a grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

Castlebar College of Further Education.
    Nah I just say they want to see what you're like.. Maybe there's still enough time for some interviews.. However mine starts soon.

i had just had an interview in castlebar college of futher education for graphic design.it was grand ive never had a problem doing interviews it was more like a formal chat then an interview to see what u are like eg. education,interest in the course what u plan to do in the futher.

hope to know monday or tuesday of nxt week if i get it i should as i have plenty of experience so see ya around tomjoe

Got into me course :D

Got into me course :D
    me too :D ,where are you going ?

Am going to Sallynoggin too, am doing Leisure Management.

Am going to Sallynoggin too, am doing Leisure Management.
    im just kinda confused..........do we start on the 13th? and hope to see u there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭TomJoe Wallace

naughto wrote: »
    i had just had an interview in castlebar college of futher education for graphic design.it was grand ive never had a problem doing interviews it was more like a formal chat then an interview to see what u are like eg. education,interest in the course what u plan to do in the futher.

hope to know monday or tuesday of nxt week if i get it i should as i have plenty of experience so see ya around tomjoe

I did my interview the other day ! Oh hey !..
    You're talking about more of a formal chat?

My chat was COMPLETELY informal. The people were really nice and it looks like a place I definitely want to go now ! :) I get word on Monday or Tuesday as well ! And likewise with myself on the experience end in radio ! Wish you the best of luck ! Let's hit it up in Castlebar ! :P

im just kinda confused..........do we start on the 13th? and hope to see u there

I couldn't tell ya tbh. My inductions next Thursday. Ah yea ya never know :)

I couldn't tell ya tbh. My inductions next Thursday. Ah yea ya never know :)
    what is inductions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Induction just means that they will sit you down with a group and tell you the basic rules of the college, give you your timetable and possibly a diary, show you round the layout and tell you where essentials like canteen and toilets are. Very informal, no hassle at all.

Generally speaking you will find PLC colleges are very informal and encouraging, while at the same time putting it up to you to do your work and make the best effort you can to get the best result possible.

looksee wrote: »
    Induction just means that they will sit you down with a group and tell you the basic rules of the college, give you your timetable and possibly a diary, show you round the layout and tell you where essentials like canteen and toilets are. Very informal, no hassle at all.

Generally speaking you will find PLC colleges are very informal and encouraging, while at the same time putting it up to you to do your work and make the best effort you can to get the best result possible.
    i havent been told of such thing,they just told me to come back on the 13th! and nothing about induction etc :eek:

i havent been told of such thing,they just told me to come back on the 13th! and nothing about induction etc :eek:

Well they don't all have formal inductions, they can just as easily tell you this on the first day in class. Because of availability of staff and arrangement of timetables though, its worth getting most of it done in one go.

looksee wrote: »

So, basically, it'll be a lot better than secondary school? :) It's a stupid question, but I'll be doing a journalism FETAC course and was wondering if any would have any idea if I'll need a school bag or would a tote suffice? I don't know how the amount of books will compare to the amount needed when I was in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

Have an interview tomorrow, what do you wear though?
    Shirt & tie? Full suit? Let us know.... :)

I'd go with something a bit more casual, defintely not full suit. shirt with no tie, smart jeans or trousers, and shoes. If you dress too smartly you might come across as trying too hard.

So, basically, it'll be a lot better than secondary school? :) It's a stupid question, but I'll be doing a journalism FETAC course and was wondering if any would have any idea if I'll need a school bag or would a tote suffice? I don't know how the amount of books will compare to the amount needed when I was in school.

Any sort of bag will do fine, you see everything from back packs to large handbags! Turn up first day with a pen, notebook and possibly a folder of some sort, and you will be well ahead of the game. One of the most annoying things to a teacher is when people come into class without even a pen!

You are unlikely to need much in the way of textbooks, but you will probably end up with a ring binder full of handouts and notes. I suggest you also have a flash drive, you won't need it first day, but you will need one. Personally I think the simpler the better, the less stuff it has to install on every computer, the less likely it is to conflict with anything.

Generally it is quite different from school. The classes tend to be mixed ages, which gives a more mature atmosphere, you can have a laugh but there is mostly no 'messing'. Nobody is much interested in cliques or mocking, one or two might try it but no-one is impressed and people tend to mix with whoever happens to be there at the time. Teachers are called by their first names, and they are mostly very approachable.

You will not be nagged to work, you get on with it, if you do it, fine. If you don't - well failure is always an option, but its up to you.

You'll enjoy it, and you'll be fine. Good luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for replying looksee, it sounds great - I'm so excited! It sounds so much better than school, think it might take me a while to get to grips with calling the teachers by their first names though!

Advertisement