Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on DN012

Options
  • 24-08-2010 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

Hey boardsies , hoping you can help me with this one.

I applied to do the arts in UCD with the DN012 course. I booked history and politics with it , and I got it in my CAO. But now im being told by this handbook I got that I have to choose subjects from the same groups. History and Politics are in separate groups, do I actually have these subjects guaranteed when I go to UCD?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

You should avoid subjects in the same group as that will lead to timetabling clash. Are you sure you have read it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Yes it doesn't seem right that you would choose subjects from the same group, but rather different groups. History and Politics ought to be a fine combination.

Anyway you should have a few weeks after you start to change your mind on what subjects you wish to do, so it's not something to stress about too much. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Scrambled egg

Well when I put down History and Politics , I used a large table , and it said that the two were able to be combined.

Heres a link to the table confirming it. https://myucd.ucd.ie/htmlemailupload/File/arts_grid.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

History & politics is a very popular combination. They won't be in the same group as if they were their scheduling would clash. You need to pick from different groups [at least you did last year].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Indie_92

Hey boardsies , hoping you can help me with this one.

I applied to do the arts in UCD with the DN012 course. I booked history and politics with it , and I got it in my CAO. But now im being told by this handbook I got that I have to choose subjects from the same groups. History and Politics are in separate groups, do I actually have these subjects guaranteed when I go to UCD?

Any help would be appreciated.

The handbook says to pick from different groups :)

I'm doing history too xD

What else ya going for? apart from politics?

• Advertisement

I dunno , but definitely economics , and one other , either Spanish or Geography , Im putting that one to the vote with friends on facebook :D

How about you , made your choices yet?

I dunno , but definitely economics , and one other , either Spanish or Geography , Im putting that one to the vote with friends on facebook :D

How about you , made your choices yet?

Awh Good olud facebook :D:p I might copy your idea there :)

Are your mates doing arts too like? And I pre picked English and history :)

Havent a clue what else then :/ philosophy looks sorta coolio xD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Indie_92 wrote: »
    Awh Good olud facebook :D:p I might copy your idea there :)

Are your mates doing arts too like? And I pre picked English and history :)

Havent a clue what else then :/ philosophy looks sorta coolio xD

Lol, I'm of exactly the same mindset! Doing English, history and philosophy. The modules for philosophy look really interesting- they even go into all the eastern religions like Buddhism and Taoism and whatnot, which is cool. But I'm picking up Arabic on the side for extra credits, and to make things less mundane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

When did this prepicking of Arts Omnibus subjects on the CAO come in?

Sefirah wrote: »
    Lol, I'm of exactly the same mindset! Doing English, history and philosophy. The modules for philosophy look really interesting- they even go into all the eastern religions like Buddhism and Taoism and whatnot, which is cool. But I'm picking up Arabic on the side for extra credits, and to make things less mundane!

Awh really? I seen a vid for it on the website :) Wooo :) we rock **High Five**:pac: what day are you in for orientation ? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,247 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    When did this prepicking of Arts Omnibus subjects on the CAO come in?

new this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

Not too sure- but tbh it’s a really good idea- if I didn't get the chance to study English and history, I probably wouldn’t bother with Arts at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Came in this year i think, we were the first year as far as i know! I pre-picked 2 subjects, geog and archaeology, do i have to pick a 3rd subject? The booklet is confusing as hell :S

Liam O wrote: »
    new this year

UCD is getting more convoluted every year. What was the reasoning?

muffinz wrote: »
    Came in this year i think, we were the first year as far as i know! I pre-picked 2 subjects, geog and archaeology, do i have to pick a 3rd subject? The booklet is confusing as hell :S

Someone told moi that you can pick up to six. :)

But I'm gussing it would be a bit odd :L:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    UCD is getting more convoluted every year. What was the reasoning?

Lots of people did not get to do subjects that they wanted to last year because of people being up at 7am taking all the spaces. So this year you can guarantee you will get the subjects you actually want to do. Seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Its decided , I think ,

History 20
    Politics 20
    Psychology 10
    Economics 10

Whats everyone else thinking of ? :)

I'm doing history and politics also, and am pretty certain I'll be doing 30 credits in each. I really think this would be the best course of action, would be interested in hearing people's reasons for taking on extra unnecessary subjects - are you just unsure of what you really want to do in the end?

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I'm doing history and politics also, and am pretty certain I'll be doing 30 credits in each. I really think this would be the best course of action, would be interested in hearing people's reasons for taking on extra unnecessary subjects - are you just unsure of what you really want to do in the end?

No way , its really surprising the amount of people going for the history and politics combination , I guess I shall see you lovely people there so :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It's not possible to do 30 credits of both History and Politics in first year as there's really only 20 credits (4 modules) of each on offer. There's one other module of each available but you can only do them as electives and you may not be guaranteed a place. So you should start thinking about what you are going to do with the remaining 20 credits.

As for the reason for doing other subjects, it's just the way the programme is designed. It's an opportunity to explore other subjects you might have an interest in. You can also think of it as backup in case one of your two main choices don't work out.

• Advertisement

It's not possible to do 30 credits of both History and Politics in first year as there's really only 20 credits (4 modules) of each on offer. There's one other module of each available but you can only do them as electives and you may not be guaranteed a place. So you should start thinking about what you are going to do with the remaining 20 credits.

As for the reason for doing other subjects, it's just the way the programme is designed. It's an opportunity to explore other subjects you might have an interest in. You can also think of it as backup in case one of your two main choices don't work out.

I've found a link to the modules and I see 4 for history and 5 for politics. Are these core modules? Or are some electives?

edit: Jesus I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I've found a link to the modules and I see 4 for history and 5 for politics. Are these core modules? Or are some electives?

You'll have 4 core politics and 4 core history - 2 for each per semester.

What are the politics ones?

Hmm so it's looking like history/politics/economics at this point. I feel that they will probably work the best together.
    I'm unsure of how many economics modules I will need to take. If I could do the extra hist/pol electives then 2 economics modules I would be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Hmm so it's looking like history/politics/economics at this point. I feel that they will probably work the best together.
    I'm unsure of how many economics modules I will need to take. If I could do the extra hist/pol electives then 2 economics modules I would be sorted.

You could do 20 crdits in each of those subjects if you'd like. The magic of Arts, can spread you're subjects or "limit" them.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

'If you choose your 2 majors through the CAO application form you are guaranteed 10 credits in each. The reason for this is that it’s the minimum requirements needed to study those subjects in stage 2.

You do not have to study them to degree level, but whatever you choose to major in, in stage 2, you have to have the stage 1 module requirements already completed. i.e. it has to be something you have already studied. Therefore it is a good idea to pick your stage 1 subjects based on what you think you will be most interested in.'

straight from the horse's mouth. I emailed the student desk for my friend a while back..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Its decided , I think ,

History 20
    Politics 20
    Psychology 10
    Economics 10

Whats everyone else thinking of ? :)

I'm doing

History 20

French 20

English 20

Anyone else doing 4 subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 chair

While we're talking about orts, anyone know anything about the Modern Languages BA, bit lost on what modules to choose and how many languages to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

economics
    geography

now have to decide the other 2. im thinking of doing german but never did it before would that be risky?

How difficult would the maths be in quantitative economics does anyone know?

I'm thinking of having this as my third subject - I feel it would work the best with the others (Hist/politics)

• Advertisement

How difficult would the maths be in quantitative economics does anyone know?

I'm thinking of having this as my third subject - I feel it would work the best with the others (Hist/politics)

Intro to quantitative economics is very easy if you've done honours maths at LC. By very I mean VERY.

Advertisement