Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day 1

Options
  • 24-08-2010 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hey everyone,

It's great to read all the threads here - they really help when you are really feeling like just having a cigarette :mad:

Day 1 today for me.. am finding it so so.. has anyone else ever experienced a light headed/dizzy feeling at the start? It's weird but will hopefully pass soon enough. This is my 3rd and FINAL time to quit the vial cancer sticks - FOR GOOD this time.. 3rd time lucky and all that :rolleyes:

Anybody else out there on their first few days??

Jesse

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Just heading into day 11 here. The first few days are hard. try keep busy and remind yourself why you are giving up. Im putting the money i would spend in a sealed see through glass. Im enjoy watching it fill yet not knowing exactly how much is in there.

I had some desperate moments when i thought i couldnt hack it.. its only day 11 now and i already find it easier, not only does my body feel better but i feel better about myself.

Hang tough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessie08

Hi oppiuy,

Thanks for reply. Day 11 wow - lucky you!! Thats a good idea about the money, I must start doing that.

Day 2 for me today. Was dreaming about them last night and all. Yesterday felt really, really long so going to try and keep busy today and hopefully it will fly in with no real trauma! Roll on the end of the 72 hours!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

keep it up Jessie! Im on week 7 now, it gets easier, and you will feel better and better as you keep going. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

day 2 for me for the millionth time, this is day 3 with no alcohol too. a bottle of wine a night and 20 cigarettes was just getting out of hand, so ive decided to quit them both together . going on holidays with 10 friends on monday, will not be drinking or smoking, BUT I WILL HAVE A GREAT TIME. maybe it seems like a bad idea to quit now, but at 46 and 25+ years smoking, i have had one excuse after the other, so i figure if i can have a good holiday with out both, i can live till im 90 and still enjoy life.. am feeling pretty good except finding it hard to sleep, think its the lack of wine.. good luck to everyone giving it a shot:) god im 30 years smoking ..omg thats a lifetime

Thanks Mackman! Well done to you on week 7!!

Day 3 now for me. Yesterday wasn't as bad for me as Day 1 and today doesn't seem to be either (so far!). The cravings are coming in waves now rather than the constant thinking about them on Day 1. The dreaded thing for me is alcohol as this is when I have succumbed in the past. I have drinks in the pub with friends tomorrow night then dinner so I am kind of dreading it. Just have to psyche myself up for it.

Dolly K fair play to you, you're right there is no time like the present and you will still enjoy your holiday.. it may even be easier for you refraining from alcohol aswell.. you are at the same stage as me so best of luck and keep posting here!

• Advertisement

thanks jessie, aw give me two pints and i can happily smoke , sorry chain smoke 20 cigs in a few hours. Hmm got the garden done today, had no cravings ." i had lots of thoughts " but no real cravings. am feeling good and in positive form, wonder is it the lack of alcohol.. lol maybe i had a bigger problem than i thought. am not going to allow any negative thoughts to generate, i will think about it then change my thoughts to something different.. have decided to start reading before i go to bed to relax me, no wine , no cigs, well its not the worse thing i could do now is it, jesus i will become a bloody bore :o

A HEALTHY bore though Dolly :D

Am having 'thoughts' rather than cravings myself. At least I think I am. 3 more hours and it will be 72 hours for me. Also keeping positive. Not even entertaining any negative thoughts / doubts !

Still feeling slightly light-headed. Have read that this is because there is more oxygen going to your brain, rather than a load of Nicotine :eek:

:eek: insomnia, yep here it comes, well went to bed at eleven so got 5.5 hours of really calm sleep. Jessie i too am only thinking positive thoughts, " this is so much easier than i thought " that is what i keep repeating to myself.. was reading over all the posts on this thread, and what stands out in my mind is ..omfg look what they are going through on day 1, week1, month1, etc. i started to believe that all ex smokers will live in terror for the rest of there lives :D. ok so fast forward all the posts and you can see that the withdrawal is only TEMPORARY .. you just cant seem to let that sink in, these posts from everyone are priceless. hardly anyone seems to have trouble after the 2 month mark. so good luck everyone and just do whatever it is that works for you.. im gonna fake it till i make it this time.. so this is easier than i thought will do me for now..

sorry for ranting on OP
    oh and btw sooo not missing the daily bottle of wine, if anything im losing my fog brain, which i was convinced was the normal me ..hee hee

How are you getting on Dolly - you're probably off on your hols today?

I had around 5 fags on Friday night dammit. I was v drunk, but no excuse I know, felt absolutely sick to my stomach on Saturday though and haven't really given them a second thought since..

So it's back to Day 3 for me instead of Day 7. Oh well. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Day 17 now. im feeling great, i cant explain it but its a kinda fresh feeling. I think about smoking when im idle but no real cravings now which is great. To keep busy im going to start the couch to 2k this evening as ive been over weight for to long and now is the ideal time.

Day by day, hour by hour and its worth it

• Advertisement
Advertisement