Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is why I think God exists.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭use logic please

So, i haven't read any of the last few pages. Would I be right in assuming there's still no evidence for God?
    With that attitude, you cannot expect take part in a logical discussion. Since this is an A&A forum, what you've done is a little like going to an Oasis fansite and saying "are oasis good?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

raah! wrote: »
    I was talking about the very most simple idea of free will. Essentially that we are capable of thinking for ourselves. Someone who is put in a box still has this kind of free will, that's what I was talking about. It can be their "will" that they get out, but they are in a box. I contrast "free will" to "no will" rather than "restricted will".

Here is the definition from which I am operating:
    will 2 |wɪl|
    noun
    1 [usu. in sing. ] the faculty by which a person decides on and initiates action : she has an iron will | a battle of wills between children and their parents | an act of will.
    • (also willpower) control deliberately exerted to do something or to restrain one's own impulses : a stupendous effort of will.
    • a deliberate or fixed desire or intention : Jane had not wanted them to stay against their will | [with infinitive ] the will to live.
    • the thing that one desires or ordains : the disaster was God's will.
    Yes if god says that (to pick a random example) his essense is male someone is free to interpret it in such a way that he said it was female. This does not mean that their interpretation is correct.

I am looking at the similarities in the accounts of God to explain the similarities in the religions. We started by talking about God. Why would God not appear the same to all the religions? I'm saying that he has pretty much, and you have progressed to argue about something else now.
    Um, no I'm arguing about exactly that point. I'm saying that either he didn't appear the same to all religions or they added their own personal interpretations to the experience that were not actually there. If two people see the same thing and describe it in such a way that there are factual differences, at least one of them is wrong. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this :confused:

I see what you are saying though, if there is one God then he will be seen the exact same way and say the exact same thing to everyone. Why is this? What kind of god are you talking about?

Why if the gods are the same would the teachings be the same? You have yet to provide an argument as to why a theistic god has to tell everyone everything exactly about himself. Why he is opposed to different religions. Note that with a theistic God we have goodness by definition.

And of course there are areas where the religions disagree, that's why I mentioned many facts. Yes they contradict each other, but merely repeating this does not constitute a real argument. To hold all this together you must explain why a god has to tell everyone the same thing, why does it have to be not only universally experienced (people don't generally experience things in the same way), but also universally interpreted (people do not generally interpret things in the same way).

Or that many religions say the same things, and if those same things are the truth then they are all right in part.

This requires that you know how god intended it to be interpreted, or whether or not he wanted there to be one interpretation. It also implies that he's giving any message at all. Which is an important consideration.

Those directly contradictory ones of course cannot be true, they are not all directly contradictory. God could want to do X but not Y, the angel could have appeared to two people.

You notice that the only contradictions you've actually pointed out is when religions say "those other ones are wrong", If you can't see how that is a weak argument for their mutual contradiction then I don't know what to say.
    So you're saying that god deliberately hid his true nature from people and/or gave them different teachings, each time telling them that this was his one true nature and that these were his one true teachings? Why on earth would he do this?

you also seem to be saying this while simultaneously saying that he gave them all the same experience :confused:

Ok, please don't say "there is no way to verify", it's just wrong. We've been verifying things all day in argument, we haven't been making empircal observations recording the data and fitting it to mathematical models, we have been simply using logic. How you can say those things in the context of a debate is beyond me. And you remember in the last thread I kept saying things like "narrow, education, etc."
    The only way to verify someone's personal experience is to be inside their brain. Talking about what we think went on in their minds is not verifying it, it's hypothesising.
    One could pick out those similarities of the religions, and believe them all at once, just as christians pick out which parts of the bible they see as the true interpretation.

If we removed the contradictory parts what would we have? Similar religions, but with lots of extra stuff, because there are things like "God did X, God did Y" which become "God did X and Y", and with less things like "if you don't accept this one particular interpretation you're wrong". If your argument about the differences lies on that then I must say that the differences do indeed to seem overwhelmingly unimportant.

Well yes we could remove the contradictory parts against the direct explicit instructions of each religion (but I suppose we could remove those instructions too) and what we would be left with is something that vagely resembles all religions but is different to each of the religions that claim to be the one true one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

With that attitude, you cannot expect take part in a logical discussion. Since this is an A&A forum, what you've done is a little like going to an Oasis fansite and saying "are oasis good?"

Erm, I don't quite understand the analogy you're using there tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Twas just a jest, no?

You've witnessed what happens when you start a discussion in A&A and disappear for a length of time. The discussion continues with or without you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes if god says that (to pick a random example) his essense is male someone is free to interpret it in such a way that he said it was female. This does not mean that their interpretation is correct.
    I don't see how this relates the the passage quoted at all. And these type of things are really ignoring the body of my quotes. That would be correct, the interpretation would be wrong, because male and female are separate, but the analogy does not stand.

Um, no I'm arguing about exactly that point. I'm saying that either he didn't appear the same to all religions or they added their own personal interpretations to the experience that were not actually there. If two people see the same thing and describe it in such a way that there are factual differences, at least one of them is wrong. I don't get what is so hard to understand about this :confused:
    There are a million assumptions in what you are saying. I believe they were adressed int he lower part of this.

So you're saying that god deliberately hid his true nature from people and/or gave them different teachings, each time telling them that this was his one true nature and that these were his one true teachings? Why on earth would he do this?
    I'm saying that this is one possibility. You are going into theology here. There is not just a "god has to tell everyone the same thing". If you think that tell me why, but don't just have it implicitly running through all those other higher level assertions.
    you also seem to be saying this while simultaneously saying that he gave them all the same experience :confused:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the experiences need not be the same, the fact is the religions describe gods which are far more similar than they are different. They are extremely similar. In the light of the axiom under which we are both operating (sheerly by the language and arguments we are constructing mind you), the logical thing to say is that this is one god. It's not necessary that the experiences are identical, the important point is that the same God is being described in the same way. People saying different things about what God says to them is not a matter about whether or not they experienced the same god, but a matter of what he said. That's patently obvious.

The only way to verify someone's personal experience is to be inside their brain. Talking about what we think went on in their minds is not verifying it, it's hypothesising.
    How do you verify the personal experience scientists use when they observe phenomena and record them? I know you can, but think about how you do. Saying "i could be a scientist" is different. If the only way of verifying things is true scientific method, then nobody really knows anything. No body has enough time in the world to verify every experiment that's ever done. So for one, it's not possible, and even if it was possible, people still wouldn't do it.
    Well yes we could remove the contradictory parts against the direct explicit instructions of each religion (but I suppose we could remove those instructions too) and what we would be left with is something that vagely resembles all religions but is different to each of the religions that claim to be the one true one
    So we arrive at what could be called a religion. And this religion would again be similar to all those other religions. It would exist as a religion and be largely validated by the others.

And this is easy to do from the outside of religion. People who adhere to particular religions have their reasons, and that's different. To them the religions are not fully compatible, this is not based on just consideration of religion. It's based on rather simple assertions like "if you accept this one the other ones are wrong". I don't see how it makes sense to look at the religions from the outside and then treat these statements of "my one is the right one" as universally invalidating.

I'm saying that this is one possibility. You are going into theology here. There is not just a "god has to tell everyone the same thing". If you think that tell me why, but don't just have it implicitly running through all those other higher level assertions.
    god is supposed to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    I don't see how this relates the the passage quoted at all. And these type of things are really ignoring the body of my quotes. That would be correct, the interpretation would be wrong, because male and female are separate, but the analogy does not stand.

There are a million assumptions in what you are saying. I believe they were adressed int he lower part of this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the experiences need not be the same, the fact is the religions describe gods which are far more similar than they are different. They are extremely similar. In the light of the axiom under which we are both operating (sheerly by the language and arguments we are constructing mind you), the logical thing to say is that this is one god. It's not necessary that the experiences are identical, the important point is that the same God is being described in the same way. People saying different things about what God says to them is not a matter about whether or not they experienced the same god, but a matter of what he said. That's patently obvious.
    I'll tell you what, how about you pop into the various religious forums and float your idea that there is one god and that all religions are true (and therefore that one is not damned for not following the "one true religion") and see how far you get. The same goes for the idea that god would deliberately hide his nature and give people contradictory teachings

How do you verify the personal experience scientists use when they observe phenomena and record them? I know you can, but think about how you do. Saying "i could be a scientist" is different. If the only way of verifying things is true scientific method, then nobody really knows anything. No body has enough time in the world to verify every experiment that's ever done. So for one, it's not possible, and even if it was possible, people still wouldn't do it.
    This is something that religious people often bring up, it fudges the difference between something that I have not personally verified and something that is unverifable. Thousands of scientists can and do verify each others claims, that's the whole point of the scientific process. Science is not based on the authority of any one man, everybody has to submit their work for it to be independently verified by others. Do you honestly see no difference in terms of reliability between something that has been verfied independently by thousands of different people (even if I have not personally verified it) and one man claiming that something appeared to him inside his mind?

So we arrive at what could be called a religion. And this religion would again be similar to all those other religions. It would exist as a religion and be largely validated by the others.

And this is easy to do from the outside of religion. People who adhere to particular religions have their reasons, and that's different. To them the religions are not fully compatible, this is not based on just consideration of religion. It's based on rather simple assertions like "if you accept this one the other ones are wrong". I don't see how it makes sense to look at the religions from the outside and then treat these statements of "my one is the right one" as universally invalidating.

And I don't see how it's doesn't make sense :confused: The mere act of saying that your religion is the one true one makes it incompatible with every other. It wouldn't matter if all other teachings of the other religions were exactly the same, even if the also contain a teaching that they are the one true one, you must ignore this teaching in each of the religions in order to make them compatible. And once you ignore any of the teachings of a religion you have asserted that it is at least partially false. And when your religion is based on the idea that a perfect being inspired it, the idea that it is in any way false really doesn't wash

god is supposed to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    If this were the case, would not the bible just contain a full scientific account of the universe? Where your getting the idea that it's impossible for god not to tell everyone everything I don't know. But it doesn't just apply to religion.
    I'll tell you what, how about you pop into the various religious forums and float your idea that there is one god and that all religions are true (and therefore that one is not damned for not following the "one true religion") and see how far you get. The same goes for the idea that god would deliberately hide his nature and give people contradictory teachings
    I referenced this point in my argument. Several times, I said it was different to view them from the outside than it is to view them from the inside.
    This is something that religious people often bring up, it fudges the difference between something that I have not personally verified and something that is unverifable. Thousands of scientists can and do verify each others claims, that's the whole point of the scientific process. Science is not based on the authority of any one man, everybody has to submit their work for it to be independently verified by others. Do you honestly see no difference in terms of reliability between something that has been verfied independently by thousands of different people (even if I have not personally verified it) and one man claiming that something appeared to him inside his mind?
    I know there is a difference, but at the end of the day, what is being used is an argument from authority. If this is a logical fallacy then everyone who cites an experiment they didn't do is wrong. That is all I'm pointing out, as this is a thing new atheists like to say. There are many other such "fallacies" which are ridiculous.

But science is more communicable, the person having the experience can verify it himself. This does not make one an argument from authority and the other not. In the light of this, I don't see how you can continue to say "argument from authority-fallacy". It is just wholly incorrect. To say scientific community never uses arguments from authority is to not understand what they do, or what an "argument form authority" is.

Also, note there is a difference between "only personally verifiable" and "not verifiable". But as I've said before in response to your original point, we've been verifying things all day. It's quite ironic that you would verify non-scientifically the statement that scientific verification is the only kind of verification.
    And I don't see how it's doesn't make sense :confused: The mere act of saying that your religion is the one true one makes it incompatible with every other. It wouldn't matter if all other teachings of the other religions were exactly the same, even if the also contain a teaching that they are the one true one, you must ignore this teaching in each of the religions in order to make them compatible.
    Ok well this has been gone over.
    And once you ignore any of the teachings of a religion you have asserted that it is at least partially false. And when your religion is based on the idea that a perfect being inspired it, the idea that it is in any way false really doesn't wash
    Again, a perfect being inspiring something doesn't mean that it's perfectly understood. Would it even be possible for an imperfect being to possess perfect knowledge?

But the main point is that it would not be contradictory for one god to give rise to different images of itself. That is what we have been arguing from the start, but it's gone off track a bit. And that the religions are similar, and heavily compatible. Which is a view I will continue to hold if you do not say something more convincing than "each religion says it's the one true one", because I don't even know that they all say that. Those religions are at the end of the day controlled by people, of course those people would want their versions to be the one true ones.

Dades wrote: »
    Twas just a jest, no?

You've witnessed what happens when you start a discussion in A&A and disappear for a length of time. The discussion continues with or without you. :)

Speaking of which...
    I'm not one for refusing to debate points, so I will stick around and debate with anyone who wants to. I'm expecting to have a logical discussion, if someone has a good reason to think I've made an illogical point then I'll consider what they've said and reply. This won't be a fleeting once off posting on my part.

So when is this discussion going to start OP?

Erm, I don't quite understand the analogy you're using there tbh.

You asked a forum of of atheists and agnostics if there has yet been any evidence given that there is a God. You are asking a biased group, so you're getting a biased answer is what I meant.

You asked a forum of of atheists and agnostics if there has yet been any evidence given that there is a God. You are asking a biased group, so you're getting a biased answer is what I meant.
    lol

It's not a biased answer, it's the right answer.

Feel free to point me in the direction of the evidence though, I'll happily change my mind once I see/hear it.

• Advertisement

If this were the case, would not the bible just contain a full scientific account of the universe? Where your getting the idea that it's impossible for god not to tell everyone everything I don't know. But it doesn't just apply to religion.
    Not that god should tell them everything, just that god should not tell them contradictory things.

I know there is a difference, but at the end of the day, what is being used is an argument from authority. If this is a logical fallacy then everyone who cites an experiment they didn't do is wrong. That is all I'm pointing out, as this is a thing new atheists like to say. There are many other such "fallacies" which are ridiculous.

But science is more communicable, the person having the experience can verify it himself. This does not make one an argument from authority and the other not. In the light of this, I don't see how you can continue to say "argument from authority-fallacy". It is just wholly incorrect. To say scientific community never uses arguments from authority is to not understand what they do, or what an "argument form authority" is.

Also, note there is a difference between "only personally verifiable" and "not verifiable". But as I've said before in response to your original point, we've been verifying things all day. It's quite ironic that you would verify non-scientifically the statement that scientific verification is the only kind of verification.
    Not it's not an argument from authority. I swear it must be a religious person's wet dream to think it is because of the amount of people who come in here trying to tell us that the process that put a man on the moon is no more reliable than the ramblings of a man telling us about the voices in his head but this is simply not the case. If I have any questions whatsoever about a scientific theory I can look up all of the information about how the experiments were performed, how the data was gathered, how rigorously it was tested etc etc etc etc and if I want I can go out and do the verification for myself. No matter how much religious people like to think so, this is not the same as one man saying god appeared to him in a vision and everyone has to either believe him or not based on personal preference because there is no way to find out what kind of personal experience he had or if he had one at all. Science does not require faith, it just requires your eyes. People can choose not to look at the evidence if they want but the difference between that and accepting a religious position is:

1. They are doing it out out choice where the religious person does it out of necessity
    2. They are relying on the independent verification of thousands of people who all achieved the same results. Not similar results with contradictions that you need to ignore. The same
    3. They are relying on a process that has moved us from living in Caves to landing on the moon. This process has proven its reliability. Religion has not

I also feel the need to point out the same thing I point out to everyone who comes in here to tell us about the failings of science: the irony of typing on a keyboard so move some electrons in a wire so people all around the world can instantly read your words, to tell us about how science is a logical fallacy
    Ok well this has been gone over.

Again, a perfect being inspiring something doesn't mean that it's perfectly understood. Would it even be possible for an imperfect being to possess perfect knowledge?
    A perfect being should be able to make himself understood. If he can't then he is not omnipotent.
    But the main point is that it would not be contradictory for one god to give rise to different images of itself. That is what we have been arguing from the start, but it's gone off track a bit. And that the religions are similar, and heavily compatible. Which is a view I will continue to hold if you do not say something more convincing than "each religion says it's the one true one", because I don't even know that they all say that. Those religions are at the end of the day controlled by people, of course those people would want their versions to be the one true ones.

I would never try to challenge your view that religions are "heavily compatible", they are. I am pointing out that when dealing with the perfect word of god, "heavily compatible" just doesn't cut it. If science accepted "heavily compatible" planes would fall out of the sky so I don't see why this should be good enough for our understanding of a supposedly perfect being

lol

It's not a biased answer, it's the right answer.

Feel free to point me in the direction of the evidence though, I'll happily change my mind once I see/hear it.
    It is a biased answer, surely you'll give that?

It is a biased answer, surely you'll give that?
    No, it's the right answer. There is NO evidence, if there is, then show me?

No, it's the right answer. There is NO evidence, if there is, then show me?

Most people are on this forum because the are either Atheist or Agnostic, which means that they are biased when the question "is there any evidence of a God?" is asked. Do you agree? What we see around us could be evidence of a God, but Atheists think it's not, so how are they not biased when that question is asked? Agnostics are not so biased I think, but there are so few theists here that you are asking the question to a biased group. Do you think that the group is not biased? Surely a biased group leads to biased answers to questions?

Most people are on this forum because the are either Atheist or Agnostic, which means that they are biased when the question "is there any evidence of a God?" is asked. Do you agree? What we see around us could be evidence of a God, but Atheists think it's not, so how are they not biased when that question is asked? Agnostics are not so biased I think, but there are so few theists here that you are asking the question to a biased group. Do you think that the group is not biased? Surely a biased group leads to biased answers to questions?
    What we see around us is not evidence for God, just because you say it is doesn't make it so. Even if it was evidence, to which God are you referring?

Sorry, you'll have to provide some better evidence than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Probably the most un biased term there is.

What we see around us is not evidence for God
    I said it could be, it's a possibility.
    Anyway, I'm going to make my main argument now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Most people are on this forum because the are either Atheist or Agnostic, which means that they are biased when the question "is there any evidence of a God?" is asked. Do you agree?
    Most people here have asked themselves this question, reviewed the evidence, and come to a tentative conclusion.

You're only biased if you discard evidence, review it unfairly, or mistakenly assume that something is evidence, when it is not.

I should say that my argument depends on an the axiom "Natural existence must occur in space and "linearly"* in time."
    I realise that in my first argument (even when you consider that it uses this axiom) I got from the supernatural to Theism too quickly, but I will be happy to make that link later, though I won't be able to make a scientific case simply because I will be discussing the supernatural, so our science won't be applicable. But for now, I'm going to try to give a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural. So here's my revised argument:
    I intend here to argue that the axiom "Natural existence must occur in space and "linearly"* in time" (known from now on as axiom op) is the best axiom we have in 2010, and then to use this axiom. (* This "line of time" may vary in "density" due to special relativity's "time dilation," but as far as I know, in any experimentally well backed up theory time can best thought of by humans as a line.) We humans, as far as I know, have not experienced anything which disobeys this axiom and human experience is all we have to draw from. So, if we want to conduct a discussion in 2010, then this is the best axiom because it is backed up, as far as I know, by all of human experience. Now, using axiom op and discounting the supernatural for a moment, we come to that old chestnut "all existence came from nothing." Now, this seems to be a contradiction when we are using axiom op (it is mainly the linearity which gives this contradiction, I think that one prperty of this linearity is that any existing body must have a predecessor or predecessors.) So now, since we are using this very reasonable axiom op, and we have come to what seems to be a contradiction we can reasonably say that we were wrong to discount the supernatural. I think I've argued a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural here.
    I think that Theism is not far away if the supernatural exists.
    But, as I said, I'll discuss that at another time as it is a different question, for now, I'm trying to give a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural.

• Advertisement

Not that god should tell them everything, just that god should not tell them contradictory things.
    Do you see how not telling them everything could lead to contradictory extrapolations of what they were told?

Not it's not an argument from authority. I swear it must be a religious person's wet dream to think it is because of the amount of people who come in here trying to tell us that the process that put a man on the moon is no more reliable than the ramblings of a man telling us about the voices in his head but this is simply not the case.
    I'm not saying it's not reliable. It must be an atheists wet dream to reduce every criticism of their interpretation to be a criticism of science itself. I am saying the criticism applies both ways. It doesn't invalidate those men talking about voices in their head because it doesn't invalidate science.
    If I have any questions whatsoever about a scientific theory I can look up all of the information about how the experiments were performed, how the data was gathered, how rigorously it was tested etc etc etc etc and if I want I can go out and do the verification for myself.
    Yes you would, but you'd have to start at the start to be able to say that your views about this latest experiment were completely empirically based. The only way you can say you've never used an argument from authority the whole way up is if you do any experiment. Not having to use an argument from authority doesn't change the fact that you do. Full stop. If you really think that an argument from authority is a fallacy then off you go to perform those experiments.
    No matter how much religious people like to think so, this is not the same as one man saying god appeared to him in a vision and everyone has to either believe him or not based on personal preference because there is no way to find out what kind of personal experience he had or if he had one at all.
    I'm not saying that, I'm not saying that they are identical. I merely commenting on your ridiculous criticism and use of the "argument from authority fallacy"
    Science does not require faith, it just requires your eyes. People can choose not to look at the evidence if they want but the difference between that and accepting a religious position is:

1. They are doing it out out choice where the religious person does it out of necessity
    They are not really doing it out of choice, even the leading physicist cannot verify everything upon which his work is based through experiment. At one point he is going to have to trust the validity of other peoples experiments. But maybe it is possible to verify in one persons lifetime every scientific statement. It would be a waste of time of course, because "the argument from authority" isn't some general fallacy, as you've been using it (mostly in that other thread).

The religious people doing it out of necessity is also not true, they all talk about having experiences and all that jive. They've already accepted this extra dimension or whatever, and most religions emphasise tapping into this through meditation or contemplation or whatever you want.
    2. They are relying on the independent verification of thousands of people who all achieved the same results. Not similar results with contradictions that you need to ignore. The same
    There are such things as failed experiments, faulty extrapolations, bad methods. To say otherwise is very "religious" sounding.
    3. They are relying on a process that has moved us from living in Caves to landing on the moon. This process has proven its reliability. Religion has not
    This sort of statement is to be expected in this forum. But it's absurd to say religion has never done anything good for anyone. We could easily go into all the things religion has done, that have "moved us out of caves" so to speak, but I find that kind of discussion unpleasant. Just as it would be beneath someone to talk to some klu klux member about the positives of black people.
    I also feel the need to point out the same thing I point out to everyone who comes in here to tell us about the failings of science: the irony of typing on a keyboard so move some electrons in a wire so people all around the world can instantly read your words, to tell us about how science is a logical fallacy
    Yes, because that's what I've been doing. That statement is completely irrelevant to the argument I made, you've done it before, and I showed you how it was. So you posted this why? A deliberate straw man?

It's almost as funny as you saying there's no other form of validation but science, except it's completely improperly applied, where as the former was not.
    A perfect being should be able to make himself understood. If he can't then he is not omnipotent.
    It's not necessarily a point of can and can't. Especially if the assumption of omnipotence or perfection has already been made. In those cases such questions are just stupid. Those assumptions are made in all the religions.
    I would never try to challenge your view that religions are "heavily compatible", they are. I am pointing out that when dealing with the perfect word of god, "heavily compatible" just doesn't cut it. If science accepted "heavily compatible" planes would fall out of the sky so I don't see why this should be good enough for our understanding of a supposedly perfect being
    I don't understand your analogy with planes, could you clarify that a bit? I don't see a connection between the two parts of the sentence or what accepting "heavily compatible" means in a scientific context. I will remind you that science operates on approximations so heavily compatible can be said to be used alot.

Now, heavily compatible only doesn't cut it if you say "it was gods omnipotent intention to tell everyone the exact same thing and for there to be one religion". That's quite the hefty thing to just have lying there tacitly guiding everything you've said up to this point.

Edit: The op is back, and since it's his thread then perhaps we should hold off and address what he says instead of continuing this. We have discussed most of this before anyway.

I said it could be, it's a possibility.

In that case, it's possibly evidence for a superhuman race of aliens.

Or, it might just be evidence for evolution, which explains pretty much everything you see around you.

In that case, it's possibly evidence for a superhuman race of aliens.

Or, it might just be evidence for evolution, which explains pretty much everything you see around you.
    Evolution requires the kickstart of existence. (I do subscribe to the notion of evolution, I'll point out.)

I should say that my argument depends on an the axiom "Natural existence must occur in space and "linearly"* in time."
    I realise that in my first argument (even when you consider that it uses this axiom) I got from the supernatural to Theism too quickly, but I will be happy to make that link later, though I won't be able to make a scientific case simply because I will be discussing the supernatural, so our science won't be applicable. But for now, I'm going to try to give a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural. So here's my revised argument:
    I intend here to argue that the axiom "Natural existence must occur in space and "linearly"* in time" (known from now on as axiom op) is the best axiom we have in 2010, and then to use this axiom. (* This "line of time" may vary in "density" due to special relativity's "time dilation," but as far as I know, in any experimentally well backed up theory time can best thought of by humans as a line.) We humans, as far as I know, have not experienced anything which disobeys this axiom and human experience is all we have to draw from. So, if we want to conduct a discussion in 2010, then this is the best axiom because it is backed up, as far as I know, by all of human experience. Now, using axiom op and discounting the supernatural for a moment, we come to that old chestnut "all existence came from nothing." Now, this seems to be a contradiction when we are using axiom op (it is mainly the linearity which gives this contradiction, I think that one prperty of this linearity is that any existing body must have a predecessor or predecessors.) So now, since we are using this very reasonable axiom op, and we have come to what seems to be a contradiction we can reasonably say that we were wrong to discount the supernatural. I think I've argued a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural here.
    I think that Theism is not far away if the supernatural exists.
    But, as I said, I'll discuss that at another time as it is a different question, for now, I'm trying to give a reasonable case for the existence of the supernatural.
    I'M A BELIEVER!!!!

:rolleyes:

Seriously, this is just a reiteration in pseudo-science jibba jabba of what you said in your first post!

I'M A BELIEVER!!!!

:rolleyes:

Seriously, this is just a reiteration in pseudo-science jibba jabba of what you said in your first post!
    How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

i know the answer but i am not telling!!:D

• Advertisement

Your argument is essentially ''something can't come from nothing, ergo God did it''.

It's a tiresome argument, that has been debated time and time again on this forum.

Your argument is essentially ''something can't come from nothing, ergo God did it''.

It's a tiresome argument, that has been debated time and time again on this forum.

I did not say "God did it." I said that I was arguing for the existence of the supernatural.

i know the answer but i am not telling!!:D
    Why not?

Ya know what, I've had one too many arguments with people who all come here to tell us how their contradictory beliefs are true because of personal experience and how believing someone who says there are voices in their head is no different to believing someone who can put planes in the sky and none of their minds have ever been changed so I'm not going to continue this anymore. I'll just rest easy in the knowledge that if your beliefs are true then the beliefs of every other person who has ever come onto this forum to to make the very same point about science versus personal experience are false and vice versa. As far as I'm concerned that invalidates the whole argument but none of the people who make this argument every seem to realise this or care very much if they do

I did not say "God did it." I said that I was arguing for the existence of the supernatural.
    You started this thread didn't you? What title did you give it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

You started the thread claiming you'd show why you believe in God. Your argument is that something must have caused everything, ergo something something I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT G*D. People are getting snarky about that.

mikhail wrote: »
    You started the thread claiming you'd show why you believe in God. Your argument is that something must have caused everything, ergo something something I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT G*D. People are getting snarky about that.
    Yeah, well I made an admission at the start of my last big post that I had jumped too easily from the supernatural to Theism. Maybe I should start a new thread about "Why I think the supernatural exists." So far nobody has taken on my argument on that.
    I can reconcile my last big post with my thread title, but I think many would not give me a chance if I tried.

Yeah, well I made an admission at the start of my last big post that I had jumped too easily from the supernatural to Theism. Maybe I should start a new thread about "Why I think the supernatural exists." So far nobody has taken on my argument on that.
    I can reconcile my last big post with my thread title, but I think many would not give me a chance if I tried.
    It's the same argument!

I'm sensing some trollish behaviour now tbh.

It's the same argument!

Do you want to take me on on my argument for the supernatural?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Do you want to take me on on my argument for the supernatural?

Yes.

And again, regarding the creation of the universe. There is no evidence that the universe came from nothing, so there was never a time when it needed to be created.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

You mean like the guy who posted about how quantum mechanics allow something to arise from nothing, or the huge number of posts pointing out that breaking the axiom that nothing can be created from nothing to create a creator means you're not actually using logic?

It's the same argument!

Do you want to take me on on my argument for the supernatural? I think it's a pretty good one.

Why not?
    ohh ok truth of the matter is there are many gods.
    humans are actually demi-gods this was an accident
    angels cross breed with humans (this is why atlantis was destroyed)
    humans where never supposed to have white skin red/blonde hair blue eyes these traits where reserved for the gods and angels

Ya know what, I've had one too many arguments with people who all come here to tell us how their contradictory beliefs are true because of personal experience and how believing someone who says there are voices in their head is no different to believing someone who can put planes in the sky and none of their minds have ever been changed so I'm not going to continue this anymore. I'll just rest easy in the knowledge that if your beliefs are true then the beliefs of every other person who has ever come onto this forum to to make the very same point about science versus personal experience are false and vice versa. As far as I'm concerned that invalidates the whole argument but none of the people who make this argument every seem to realise this or care very much if they do

I hope that isn't directed at me. If it is I applaud your strawmaning abilities. If you'd like verification of the inaccuracy of that interpretation just read over my posts.

And if that is directed at me, then I'll just assume anytime we have an argument that you are incapable of actually reading what it's said but merely lead the thread off in your own direction, and then in a direction different to this , pretending they are the same, and then around in circles.

All the same, I had a grand time arguing, but perhaps it's best that this is the last.

Do you want to take me on on my argument for the supernatural? I think it's a pretty good one.
    It's not.

• Advertisement

Morbert wrote: »
    Yes.

And again, regarding the creation of the universe. There is no evidence that the universe came from nothing, so there was never a time when it needed to be created.
    Are you sure about all that? How do you explain the existence of the universe? thanks for engaging with my argument.

It's not.
    Why not? Please refer to my argument.

Why not? Please refer to my argument.
    You don't have an argument, you're just substituting ignorance for God/the supernatural, which just raises more questions than it answers.

You don't have an argument, you're just substituting ignorance for God/the supernatural, which just raises more questions than it answers.
    How do you know I'm doing that? How can you show it? You have not referred to anything I've said.

How do you know I'm doing that? How can you show it? You have not referred to anything I've said.
    Are you taking the piss now or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

So, tough draw for Spurs in the Champions League eh? :confused:

Are you taking the piss now or something?

No, why don't you just refer to my argument?

The argument from ignorance? let's not

You argument is that something can't come from nothing, therefore there must be a supernatural (God) creator.

Am I missing something here?

I know that you're substituting ignorance for the supernatural, erm, because you don't know what happened before the big bang. Pretty simple really.

• Advertisement

You argument is that something can't come from nothing, therefore there must be a supernatural (God) creator.

Am I missing something here?

I know that you're substituting ignorance for the supernatural, erm, because you don't know what happened before the big bang. Pretty simple really.

that is assuming the big bang actually happened?

Advertisement