Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does anybody else...

• 24-08-2010 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭

buy avatar clothes? I think it is just plain stupid tbh. For example my friend spent around €5 on a virtual hotodog suit for his avatar :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

I haven't but alot of people on my friends list have. When the lightsabre came out I saw that alot, now no one on my list has it with their Avatar and that was a fiver, bonkers.

I say they made alot of money on the Avatar stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

I'm gonna buy a carmine tshirt, as it goes to charity, otherwise i normally stick to freebies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd like the 2K10 Lakers jersey, but paying the money they charge for virtual clothing is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bought the Carmine shirt because it was for charity, but that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I love avatar awards but paying €2 + for clothing for my digital ken or barbie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Heres an idea send me your money instead and I will buy real clothes with it and send you a pic of me wearing it !:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,874 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I like the idea of winning them for achievements, but paying for them is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Haven't both anything, but love unlocking them.
    Original Alan Wake design jacket & scarf ftw.
    Noble 6 helmet ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Never bought anything for the avatar but I do happily wear the unlocks I get from playing games. Great new feature and should be picked up by games more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Haven't both anything, but love unlocking them.
    Original Alan Wake design jacket & scarf ftw.
    Noble 6 helmet ftw!

How did you unlock the Alan Wake avatar stuff? I failed to get those :(
    Have a red dead redemption t-shirt and bandito hat unlocked, that I was wearing for a while.
    Bought my "Save Carmine" t-shirt yesterday evening though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

How did you unlock the Alan Wake avatar stuff? I failed to get those :(
    Have a red dead redemption t-shirt and bandito hat unlocked, that I was wearing for a while.
    Bought my "Save Carmine" t-shirt yesterday evening though.

You get the Alan Wake stuff with the collector's edition only iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Right. Personally if I had a couple of MS points left over I'd probably buy something from the Avatar marketplace.

Ok, some people may say that spending money on virtual clothes is stupid BUT think for a moment. You spend money on games set in a virtual world on a regular basis I'd imagine.

None of it is real. In fact buying virtual clothes and buying a game set in a virtual world is pretty much the exact same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

That_Guy wrote: »
    Right. Personally if I had a couple of MS points left over I'd probably buy something from the Avatar marketplace.

Ok, some people may say that spending money on virtual clothes is stupid BUT think for a moment. You spend money on games set in a virtual world on a regular basis I'd imagine.

None of it is real. In fact buying virtual clothes and buying a game set in a virtual world is pretty much the exact same thing.

There is a huge difference between the two, simply because the only common factor they share is that they are both non tangable goods does not make them the same thing, even that is iffy at best seeing as you can hold and re sell a game disc.

A game will provide you with an experience and emotions , gratify you both emotionally and mentally where as clothes for an avatar will do nothing of the sort except lighten your pockets for the sake of meaningless non tangable trinkets. Buying avatar items is a mugs game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

Yea I don't think you can compare the purchasing of Avatar clothes to buying games in the first place. I've at times been tempted to buy something for my avatar but ultimately decided against it.

I can see a certain appeal to it as your avatar is what your friends will see but it's just not for me. Having said that I do have 3 items from Left 4 Dead 2 displayed on my avatar at the moment and I find it more rewarding to know that I earned those by playing a game I still enjoy playing rather then spending €€€ to achieve the current look.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭TetraxShard

I'd occasionally buy a t-shirt if I had some points left over. I've only bought the Blood Dragon one because it was 40 points in the DOTW and the Save Carmine one because it's for Child's Play.

I wouldn't buy the toys because you can see the animation just by highlighting the item in Avatar Marketplace and once you've seen it once, it isn't suddenly going to get more amusing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 slinky112

I like buying stuff for my avatar when i have points. i've bought loads of the adidas gear have to make my avatar look good :)

Advertisement